280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Engine swap in progress

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Do we know what the fuel pressure is?
Thats what I was thinking, especially after I saw the guage sitting on the rail. WildmaN, have you checked the pressure while you're cranking it?
Old 02-20-2006, 12:28 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay I just put the stock rail back on. And no change, whatsoever. I think when I cranked it with the JSK it was close to 40psi. Anyway I am lost, and have no clue what could be wrong. But I still suspect it is 180 degrees off. I remember before when running my '82. It would blow out smoke, and barely run. So I turned the dizzy the other direction. And it started just fine.

I really need somebody to come over here, and help me out. That is the only way I am ever going to get this Z going. I have absolutely no clue, on what it could be.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:32 PM

Do you have an Autozone near you? If so go get a noid light from them. They'll loan it to you with a deposit. That'll tell you if the injectors are even firing. Which wiring harness and ECU are you using? The 81 or 82? What's baffeling me here is the fact that twice now you've started the car up and it ran and then you had a problem with starting it again. When it was running, did it just die or did you shut if off and then it wouldn't start?

And if you're worried about being 180 off then just put the engine at TDC and check the position of the rotor. It should be pointing at the #1 tower on the cap.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:37 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I have the noid light already. And Carl and I checked all of them, and they are all lighting fine. As for starting it, I let the plugs dry. And then fire him up, and he just starts billowing out smoke. And runs real rich. Then he will die, and I can't get him started again. As for the harness it is the same one I used before the '82. I didn't change with the swap minus the intake, headers, all the lines.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:26 PM

your dissy is **** get a new one ....when you put your jsk back on hook the fuel reg to the back of the rail ..in stead of the front like you have it in the posted pics ....your not sparking ....your dissy is crap swap it and i bet it will run just fine....

like i said befor ....injectors will only fire in one amont of fuel just because you put a bigger rail on does not mean that the injectors will fire more fuel in .....if your plugs are wet then your feul system is working like it should be ....
SWAP YOUR DISSY MAKE SURE YOUR COIL IS GROUNDED AND IN GOOD WORKING ORDER....YOU JUST WASTED ALOT OF TIME NOT DOING WHAT I SAID TO DO ... YOUR SET UP LOOKS SICK AND FROM WHAT I SEE EVERYTHING LOOKS IN THE RIGHT PLACE ...ALL BUT YOUR FUEL REG ...YOU WANT TO have that AT THE BACK OF THE RAIL SO THAT IT WILL PULL THE FUEL THOUGH THE FUEL SYSTEM....

ROD ;( BULLSHIT Non Turbo = No dropping resistors.
THE DROP RESISTOR IS NEXT TO THE WINDOW WASHER TANK .. ON NON TURBOS
however if you checked your injectors clips with a noid light and you have a good flash then your drop resistor is working just fine .....swap dissys you are not sparking..
after more thought on this and reading your posts again. i am more sure then ever that your dissy is a piece of **** ...just the way it starts up and runs rich then wont run
at all ...you are sparking the fuel at frist and then your not ...leaveing you with wet plugs ..i think you can chaNGE just the guts of your dissy? i have not done this, i just changed the whole thing for a junkyark one to save money ..

Last edited by 81 Black L28E; 02-20-2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:58 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay I just called my dad, and asked him to get me a new dizzy. I am trusting you on this. And of course I don't know the past of my current dizzy. Anyway hopefully tomorrow, when s/c comes over we can get him to run decent at least. Also I hope I can get this dizzy this week.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:31 PM

Before pointing the finger at a bad dizzy you should consider that it's not the only part of the ignition system. Also, fuel pressure WILL affect the amount of fuel that the injectors inject. The only thing besides gravity pushing the fuel through them is the pressure of the system. Too much pressure will cause over fueling because it's forcing too much fuel through the injectors while they're open. 40psi is the kind of pressure you should be seeing at wide open throttle. Not while idling. 40psi could mean that you have a bad hose to the regulator or that you do indeed have a faulty pressure regulator. All that smoke probably means you're running rich. If you go to autozone and get a vacuum tester (also available on loan) you can test vacuum against fuel pressure. If you've got 40psi of fuel pressure then the vacuum should be nil. However, in all actuality, the max pressure this system is designed to see is like 36-37 in stock form with the stock regulator at WOT.

Now I'm not saying Black is wrong. It could be the dizzy. A new dizzy is an expensive investment without testing the old one first. A junkyard unit wouldn't be so bad cause it's cheap enough. But I'm still thinking you're over fueling which will cause each and every symptom you're having. Another thing you might want to check out is your cylinder head temperature sensor. If it's reading too much resistance it will cause a rich condition and can get to the point where your car wont even start depending on how bad it is.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:07 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by 81 Black L28E
ROD ;( BULLSHIT Non Turbo = No dropping resistors.
THE DROP RESISTOR IS NEXT TO THE WINDOW WASHER TANK .. ON NON TURBOS
You're right, I screwed up and got ahead of myself. My bad. My Flogging will be in the public square at 6:00 PM for those who wish to attend.

As for the rest of your last few posts... Chill out! Seriously, You don't have to act like a dick. Everybody is trying to help him. I suggested the rail NOT because I thought the rail itself was the problem, but rather the installation of the rail. All your posts here so far have been written with spite. Again, chill out. I like you and all, but don't make me point out the fact that you are far from an expert. Did you not have two different VERY LONG threads asking anyone and everyone for help when your car wouldn't run right? Wasn't everybody helpful without being an ***? You don't need to be that way...

WildmaN... Forget all the advice I gave you, I don't know **** about anything. Sorry I made a mistake. Maybe Black suddenly acquired all the golden Z car knowledge and can fix your problem himself. Maybe I can help when you need advice on chicks or something instead.

Rod.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:01 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
I don't know **** about anything. Sorry I made a mistake.
****! I read 1500 posts of yours! Now I'm all messed over!
Old 02-20-2006, 04:14 PM

I wasn't being a dick ...just stating the obvious ...the fact that he has fuel is what shows him that there is a spark problem ...as for reading 40psi on the fuel gau unsure? .are you sure you where reading it right ..as i turn mine over you can see that it reads just about 30 to 35 psi ...i cant remeber witch way i had my STOCK reg hook up ?.. i had it on the back of the rail becauce bleach told me that it would work best that way ...as for input out lines on the thing i have know clue ..thinking about it i understand way he said that ..i wouldNT use that reg for to long anyway buy a rising rate fpr ..now as for giving advice on ho's well if you met my girl you would understand why you should come talk to me about that to ...rod
Old 02-20-2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Another thing you might want to check out is your cylinder head temperature sensor. If it's reading too much resistance it will cause a rich condition and can get to the point where your car wont even start depending on how bad it is.

YES YES YES YES ...BUT I DONT THINK HIS IS BAD ....THE WAY IT STARTS AND RUNS AND THEN SHUTS OFF MAKE ME .. THINK DISSY DISSY DISSY ...I DONT THINK ITS OVER FUELING AT ALL ....ITS UNDER SPARKING ..
Old 02-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Big Poppa

The Fuel Pressure Reg Should Be On The Exiting Side Of The Rail, And 40 Psi Is Way Too Much On Your Stock Or Mildly Moded Motor, Change The Regulator Or Pince Off The Incoming Fuel Line To Check, Also Check With A Good Plug And A Buddy Or Little Brother If There Is Spark On Every Cylinder, This Car Ran Before With A Different Motor So We'll Make It Come Alive Dont Worry, Tidy Up The Engine Bay, Mostly The Plug Wires To Stop Any Cross Firing, And Try Again, You Can Do It Wildman
Old 02-20-2006, 08:18 PM

Even a perfectly good spark can be ruined by too much fuel. If the engines not getting enough air to go with all the extra fuel then the mixure wont ignite. Which is just like having no spark. That's why I say it could be an over fueling problem. If there was no spark then there wouldn't be any smoke. No spark also means no starting at all. But there is still a chance of the engine starting in a rich state. But then all that extra fuel that is not burnning is going to wet foul the plugs and now we've got too much fuel and no spark. Hence the starting up, then runs like crap and smokes and then wont run at all. Clear the cylinders, dry the plugs and see if the cycle starts all over again.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:42 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Well I will be taking my dizzy/IC (less than 2k miles on em) and FPR over there just in case.. we will get you on the road yet Wildman
Old 02-21-2006, 03:21 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well too late on the dizzy. I just spent over $200 on a new one. I will have it tomorrow morning. So now I am almost broke again. In the past few days in parts alone I have spent over $600. So my tax return is wiped out. Just like last year. And still I have no decent running Z to show for it.

And I am putting my faith in you s/c. And as much as you know about these cars. I really believe you can get my Z running today.

Now I don't want to leave everybody else out of the picture. You all have been a great help. And I verry much appreciate you standing by me. With my downfalls, and trials. On this Z project, keep encouraging, and supporting me. And I will stick with it. I really want the great reward of driving a Z again. And all of you are going to get me there one way or another.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:25 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by 81 Black L28E
I wasn't being a dick ...just stating the obvious ...the fact that he has fuel is what shows him that there is a spark problem ...as for reading 40psi on the fuel gau unsure? .are you sure you where reading it right ..as i turn mine over you can see that it reads just about 30 to 35 psi ...i cant remeber witch way i had my STOCK reg hook up ?.. i had it on the back of the rail becauce bleach told me that it would work best that way ...as for input out lines on the thing i have know clue ..thinking about it i understand way he said that ..i wouldNT use that reg for to long anyway buy a rising rate fpr ..now as for giving advice on ho's well if you met my girl you would understand why you should come talk to me about that to ...rod
Not to sound abrasive or anything like that. But that comment you made the other night. Kind of hurt and upset me. Saying: "If I was there it would be running" It almost made me want to say. "Then get out here, and get my Z running"

But I didn't because I could have said more at the time. It made me feel like I was an idiot, and such. And I didn't know my hand from my face. Anyway now that I got that off my chest. We can move on, and I don't want you to take this the wrong way. I am just getting it out.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:29 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

WildmaN... Forget all the advice I gave you, I don't know **** about anything. Sorry I made a mistake. Maybe Black suddenly acquired all the golden Z car knowledge and can fix your problem himself. Maybe I can help when you need advice on chicks or something instead.

Rod.[/QUOTE]

I am sorry Rod, but there is no way I am forgetting about the advice you gave me. You have been with me on this also. And I am grateful for that, and you didn't have to help or give me advice at all. But you did, and that is cool. And you kept me in line, when I was giving up. So quit being so modest, you know a lot more than I could ever know.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:33 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Now as for jFairladyz, Nismopick, s/c, Shady280, and whoever else I might have missed. But not forgotten. You all have been a great help, and I am verry grateful, and appreciative of that. And anytime, any of you need help and such. Let me know, and I will do what I can, or for what I know.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:17 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by WildmaN
So quit being so modest, you know a lot more than I could ever know.

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Now as for jFairladyz, Nismopick, s/c, Shady280, and whoever else I might have missed. But not forgotten. You all have been a great help, and I am verry grateful, and appreciative of that. And anytime, any of you need help and such. Let me know, and I will do what I can, or for what I know.
Hey bro, we'll get ya through this. S/C's gunna get ya fixed when he gets there!
Old 02-21-2006, 07:28 AM

Damn, theres a lot of sensitivity in here. Almost brings a tear to my eye Seriously though WildmaN, everyone here has respect for you. You're a good hearted contributor to the forum who has more dedication to his Z then most of us can honestly claim to have. Even if you didnt know your hand from your face, I'd still have that respect for you. You are a true enthusiast.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:51 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay, s/c couldn't make it today. But that is okay, because I get my new dizzy tomorrow. And he is coming over then. So all in all, actually it is nice not to go out there, and mess with my Z. Gives me a little break. Will keep you informed.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Doesn't post much...

So, You have two Z's... Do you then maybe have a spare ignition coil? Just to lend a little credence to the "low Spark" debate... Why not swap coils and see if there's any difference. It will only take like 2 minutes of your time and if it works, cool, if not, one more problem eliminated.

Rod.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:15 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah I already tried that, no change, and they both have spark. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:35 PM
Z8 driver

hey! Rod bought a z32... where ev I been???
Old 02-21-2006, 01:41 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by DynamicJ
hey! Rod bought a z32... where ev I been???
Probably driving your Z .. one of 6 working Z's on here

Quick Reply: Engine swap in progress