280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Engine swap in progress

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 11:46 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Haha, well lemme put it like this. . . Im close to having the respray and body mods ready for MSA. Which will be a major milestone for my Z. And a nice break point to start on something else and enjoy that state of my Z while i work on another. I dont think there is a project car that is ever finished for anyone. They all require some sort of constant future goal. At least in my opinion
Old 01-18-2006, 03:31 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay, my motor is just about all painted. It looks really sweet, I will probably put some more pics when I get up later this morning on my cardomain page, for you all to look at. I took the oil pan off yesterday to take a look at the crank, bearings, and such. And they look really smooth, with no burnt marks. Well oiled, so this is definately a sure thing. I should be driving him next weekend. Which will be sooner than my original goal was. After I found out the motor in my '82 was no good. So the next couple of days, I will finish painting, and whatever cleaning I still need to do. And then get mounted what I will outside the car. Because I am mostly mounting a majority of the motor inside the car. Why do you ask? Because, I am taking my headers, and pipe that goes to the cat, off my '81. And directly mounting it in my '82 connecting to the hollowed out cat he has. Also because it is a hell of a lot easier to mount the engine to the motor mounts, with the most stuff out of the way as possible. So all in all this Friday, I will pull the motor out of my '82, and then start cleaning up the engine bay and such. And whatever it will look like, it going to be a surprise folks. Believe me it will be worth the wait. Later for now.

Last edited by WildmaN; 01-18-2006 at 03:35 AM.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:49 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay everybody, I have some more pics on my cardomain page.(pics of my engine painted, and my JSK fuel rail with the trimmings) It will be worth it, believe me on that one. And I am in the process of cleaning up my engine bay. And also cleaning and repainting my air cleaner, coil, charcoal cannister. And whatever else I can, while I am doing this process. Also I am changing out my throwout bearing soon. I got a new one last night. Then just finish touching up my repainted motor. Taking the headers and exhaust out of both Z's. And putting the headers, and the exhaust that goes to the cat. From my '81, that way it was one straight swap. And no exhaust leak, and of course I will clean up and repaint the headers, and the pipe. Will let you know, when I get more done. Or do more to my Z, and getting him closer to being ready for the road.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:52 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Sweet. Are you gunna paint the head as well? I love how its turning out. Good luck with the rest of the swap and keep us updated.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:16 PM

Looks really good. It is looking really nice
Old 01-23-2006, 10:22 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yes I am going to paint the head with high temp aluminum. Same color as the pulleys, and the oil cap. And thanks for the compliments. And I will keep updating you guys on my progress. Stay tuned.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:53 PM

Yeah that looks really great. That color you chose is really nice.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:39 AM
Bleach is my Hero

I envy you .. Nic3e man, I got an old MSA cold air intake that would look nice where the stock box goes.. LMK
Old 01-24-2006, 02:20 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I appreciate it s/c, but I am keeping the stock air cleaner box. I already painted it metallic blue, and the lid aluminum. I will post pics of it when I get a chance. Anyway I got my new throwout bearing installed today, and painted a couple more parts. I should have this Z running by Friday, crossing my fingers on this one. Also I am probably not going to try and clean up the whole engine bay. It is driving me nuts, and if I wanted to make it pristene. My Z would be down another month at least. And I can't handle too much more of not driving a Z. But the bay will look better than it did, and also painting parts as I go. Got to go to work now, later for now.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:17 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay I am getting up early this morning before work. And plan on getting my motor in my Z. So I am guessing, that I will have him maybe running this weekend. I seriously hope so. Unfortunately I have to go to work this Friday. So I am going to help Carl with his caliper, and then we will try and get my motor back in my Z. Before I have to get ready. Wish us both luck, and will keep you all updated as always.

So close guys, I am so friggin' close. The suspense is killing me. He he.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:40 AM
Doesn't post much...

Git Er Done already!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2006, 07:42 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I am working on it Rod, believe me. I got some more done today, man is the engine looking ****! I wish you guys could see it in person. Cobalt metallic blue block, with painted aluminum high temp on the front of the engine, the head, dizzy, some certain bolts, oil pan. Ane then I painted my dizzy cap, ignition module, cobalt metallic blue. If I get my camera uncluttered, I will take some more pics, and put them on my cardomain page.

All aside, I am pretty sure I am will be running on this Friday coming up. I made sure I got it off at my full time job. Because that is all I need, to finish what I need to get him running, and back onto the road. Also the fact that Carl has that day off, and can help me get my motor in. And then I will start hooking stuff back up. Installing the headers, and intake manifold etcc.... I think I will do a little more tinkering here tonight. And get some more parts cleaned and painted. I pretty much just about have the engine ready to put in my Z. So this week every day before I go to work. I will diligently do what I can, so I have less to do on Friday. The reward will be well worth it. And then after I take him out, fuel him up. And I know for sure he is ready for the road. I will go ahead, and get my 30 day tags. And rock and roll down the road. Oh YEAHHHH!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 02:52 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright well a little update for all of you. I am verry close to having my Z running. He should be running this Friday, cross your fingers for me. But I am pretty sure it is in stone. I am doing what I can before work everyday, so I have less to do on Friday. But of course, I had to strip off the aluminum paint off my JSK rail. Because it wouldn't stick, so I am thinking for now, of painting it a metallic silver. I think that with the blue would look killer.

Anyway sorry for no new pics of my progress. I just haven't made time, to make room on my camera, so I can post some more pics. But believe me, soon enough, you will see pics. And when you do, they will be of the engine inside my Z. With a better looking engine bay, and such. So there you go, you are updated. (for now)
Old 02-10-2006, 07:41 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay got the motor and tranny dialed in. Got the JSK fuel rail on, getting the other parts back where they go. I am getting verry close, should be running tomorrow, I hope. Will get up early and tackle it again. And push myself, got to go to the grind Monday. Would love to be driving my Z to work then. Got to get ready for Karoke tonight. And relax, after the hard work. Later for now, and maybe some pics soon.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by WildmaN
maybe some pics soon.
That reminds me I brought my camera today to take pics.. haha.. oh well.. Get it running you should be done by now. .LOL J/K
Old 02-10-2006, 08:38 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Ha Ha you are too funny man. But like I said I should have it running tomorrow. And offside, did you leave a pair of sunglasses over here? They are slim, and an orangish lens, with black thin frames.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Ha Ha you are too funny man. But like I said I should have it running tomorrow. And offside, did you leave a pair of sunglasses over here? They are slim, and an orangish lens, with black thin frames.
HELL NO those arent mine LOL.. Maybe there Carls.. They match
Old 02-11-2006, 07:42 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay just got my new fuel injector plugs soldered, and taped. Next will work on the temp sensor plug, also the dizzy one, then the air regulator, and coldstart valve plugs. I got up late today, so I am getting up early tomorrow, and finishing up. I could still use some hands on help for emptying, and putting in my gear oil, in the transmission. Eating something right now. And then will go out there and tackle a little more, before quitting for the night. And then finishing tomorrow, and taking him for a trial run.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:09 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well didn't get to take him on his run yet. Just taking more time, than I expected. Oh well, I know I am close anyway. I got a lot accomplished today, and worked on my Z for 8 hours or so. My back is really killing me, but a major accomplishment nonetheless.

What I have left here it goes.

drain gear oil, put new oil in (manual transmission)
put new engine oil in
hook headers to gutted cat He he
put fresh antifreeze in
put aircleaner back on
install washer fluid bottle, and hook up lines
hook one more line on charcoal cannister
hook remaining vaccum lines
run him, and make sure I have no leaks
make sure he is timed and idling correctly
take him out for a trial run

That's about it, I believe for the most part. So there you go, hopefully next time I post on this thread. I will be already driving him WOo HOO!

Last edited by WildmaN; 02-12-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:25 PM

I dont want to jack your thread here so I'll say that you are doing an amazing job with your car. But I do have a question: Since you mentioned changing out the gear oil: Whats the oil capacity on the diff?
Old 02-12-2006, 09:27 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

No problem man, and I appreciate the compliments. Anyway don't quote me on this. I think the rear end takes the same as the manual transmission. 80-90 I believe. But let me see if I can find out for you.

Last edited by WildmaN; 02-13-2006 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:03 AM

Thanks. I know the weight, I just dont know the capacity.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:37 AM
Doesn't post much...

Capacity = Until it runs back out of the fill hole...

Rod.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:21 AM
The Evil Twin

My T5 transmission took about 3.5 quarts
Old 02-13-2006, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
Capacity = Until it runs back out of the fill hole...

Rod.
Yeah but I dont want to go out and buy more or less than I need. I'm swapping a 3.9 into my turbo car and gear oil isnt the cheapest and I definitely dont want to be stranded

I'm guessing a couple quarts will probably do it though. I'll error on the side of abundance though and just return what I dont use. It's no big deal, just thought someone might know.

Bleach, I'm talking about the diff.

Last edited by jmw.81; 02-13-2006 at 02:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine swap in progress