280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Engine swap in progress

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 03:32 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Engine swap in progress

Well I figured I would put this on a different thread. I have the engine hoist, and stand. I am starting this morning, to take the motor out of the '81, put it on the stand. And then clean it up, replace the common gaskets, paint it and such with high temp paint. Put it back together, and proceed taking the motor out of the '82. Keep it hanging off the hoist for a bit. Then put the '81 motor in my '82, then put the '82 motor on the stand. And start taking it apart, after I get my Z back on the road. I want to learn how to rebuild an actual engine. If I can learn on the L28, that would save me a lot of money in the future. And I can put it under my belt, as a crowning achievement. As it is now, I have already found some hidden talents, I never knew I had before.

Anyway all in all, I am looking at I believe the middle of January, to be back on the road. I pretty much have it planned out. But of course there is always hang-ups, and obstacles. But they won't keep me from getting this Z running strong. Then after I get him back on the road. I will finish getting the rest of the interior done. Cleaning up my wheels, covering up the eyesore holes in my hatch from louvers sometime in the past. And some other different tasks to finish.

I am taking pics later today, before I pull the motor, and after I get it out. And as the swap and cleaning is progressing. Here and there, because this is my first time in doing this pretty much by myself.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Bleach is my Hero

I can almost guarantee that you will beat me in getting your Z runing
Old 01-07-2006, 10:10 AM

Rebuilding an engine may seem like a huge task but once you actually get into it you'll realize its not so bad. An engine is just a combination of nuts, bolts, and pieces. All you have to do is take it apart and put it back together in the correct order. I would suggest the book "How to rebuild NISSAN/DATSUN OHC Engine" for a first timer though.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:53 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah sounds great Drew, thanks for the tip. I will probably get one of those books when I am ready to rebuild my '82's motor. But right now, I am putting the running '81 in my Z. Will keep you all informed.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:36 AM

Yeah engine building is not difficult at all. It's just tedious. Taking all the measurements, setting cam timing, and ensureing everything is done correctly. Constantly testing your progress. Just little things like that. But you've got to make the investment in the right tools. Get yourself a set of micrometers and a degree wheel. Other than that it's basic handtools (and a couple you may or may not have).
Old 01-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Doesn't post much...

You guys are forgetting that WildmaN is the "McGuyver" of the Z car world. He can rebuild and upgrade his motor using nothing more than a Swiss army knife and a pack of Bubble Yum.

Rod.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:59 PM

Does it have to be a real Swiss army knife? Or can it be cheap knock off?
Old 01-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Big Poppa

Yeah I Heard Trident Doesnt Work So Well :d
Old 01-08-2006, 12:21 AM

Wildman will learn, I got your back brother. We will help as much as we can. If you would have got into DSM's, you would be a master mechanic
Old 01-08-2006, 12:42 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Thanks bud, I appreciate it. They are just poking fun, it's cool with me. And by the way, what is DSM's? I am unfamiliar with that.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:11 AM

DSM's are cars produced between 90 and 99, between Mitsubishi and diamler Chrysler. Hence Diamond Star Motors, The Eclipse, Eagle Talon's and Plymoth Laser.

It was kinda a stab at there build quality. 4g63 turbo's make a huge amount of power, but brake something just about every other week. They are the most finiky things and require constant maintenance and extensive tuning.

If you would have owned 1 you would be very familar with engine rebuilding and removal. That is the nature of the beast. And the AWD is a serious pain in the a$$

I still have a extensive collection of broken parts, ranging from brocken blocks, cranks, broke rods, holed pistons, bent valves and broke valves, warped heads and destroyed turbos, when a turbo glows red, it is usually a bad thing, destroyed tranny's with missing 1st and 2nd gears, they got turned into soup and the pieces ate up the other gears, locked up t cases, they are all added to my collection of destroyed parts, Kinda like a shrine to horse power.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:21 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay man, I got you wow that does sound like a mess. I really don't think I would have the patience to mess with those engines, and such. I am really starting to like my L28 more now. But that is pretty sick that you have a shrine of broken parts LOL!

Sometime I would like to see pics of your '80 280zx basket case. That would be cool, somtime, if I can figure out how to post Polaroid pics on my computer. I will show you a basket case, when I first got my '82. You would be surprised believe me on that one. It looked like it was meant for the wrecking yard, but I couldn't resist it for $200. I was too good to pass up. Now I have come a long way with him since then. I purchased my Z in October of '03, it was sitting in somebody's backyard rotting away. I felt bad for the neglected Z, and rescued him from certain fate. I mean the poor Z was used as a storage area. He had truck tires and rims, friggin' car parts. I mean it had to have close to 1000lbs in weight in the back of it. No respect, and I thought he deserved a better owner that would take care of him, and put him back to nice condition. And maybe more, he is getting better. So all in all, your Z will look killer as you progress, and slowly restore her back to health. Just TLC, time, and hard work, and your golden brother keep it up!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:57 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well the motor is on the stand, and I am cleaning it up, ready to paint it. For some reason, I can't get any pics on here, so whenever they fix this website to work right. I will post a few right away, and as for the fuel rail. I found the hardware, and fittings at True Value hardware store. I had to order more fittings that they were out of stock on. I am also taking off the black on the rail, and showing the aluminum finish. Which shows more of my theme, I am going for.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Doesn't post much...

Sounds like the WildmaN is going to be ready to drive that car out here in April for the MSA show and have his car kick my cars *** like L-Dub's going to. I might as well staty home Screw it, maybe I'll just take out an equity loan and drop another 15K into mine so it doesn't get skunked. Nah... you guys can keep the trophy's, I'll just get all the chicks Rod.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:20 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
Sounds like the WildmaN is going to be ready to drive that car out here in April for the MSA show and have his car kick my cars *** like L-Dub's going to. I might as well staty home Screw it, maybe I'll just take out an equity loan and drop another 15K into mine so it doesn't get skunked. Nah... you guys can keep the trophy's, I'll just get all the chicks Rod.
Your'e too funny man, and you are modest. Your Z kicks major *** also, and I mean that. And you know it, and of course it would be cool to get a trophy for the creativity I have done to it.

And Rod this is how I look at it. All are Z's are unique and special in their own way. And they also fit their owners to an exact. That is what is so great about 280zx owners, we fit the way our Z's look.

And I should be running within a couple of weeks. If I don't work this Friday, I will start pulling the motor out of the '82. And start cleaning up the engine bay.

Also why can't I get the smilies to work? WTF?
Old 01-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Doesn't post much...

The Smiley's aren't working right now Neither are the frownies or the winks You gotta know how to cheat the system
Old 01-10-2006, 11:04 PM

O no, I hope I don't look like my Z
Old 01-11-2006, 01:15 AM

You mean like this

I guess if that didnt work either than I would be mad

Or maybe even sad

Old 01-13-2006, 02:54 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Smile

Well a little update for you guys. I have about 2 hours or so, of cleanup on the block. And then I start painting it, hopefully I find the paint around here locally. I will probably just put new pics on my cardomain site. So you can see the before pics. And then I will take some after pics, at the end of it. Actually I will go ahead, and do that right now, so you guys can see something new. And also I will throw in my '81 so you can see what he looks like also.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:37 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay everybody, go ahead and check out my cardomain page. It will be worth it, trust me. But I still have some more painting and cleanup to do, and then it is off to pulling the motor out of my '82. And start cleaning up the engine bay. But I will tell you one thing, I can't believe the difference after all that work.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:03 PM

One word......WOW!!
Old 01-15-2006, 05:19 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Way to go dude. I want another project Z so bad. I gotta finish this one 1st, but Im almost done and its kinda sad. Ive been thinking about my next Z alot and im def gunna do a turbo swap. Anyways good job and I cant wait to see it done and running.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:35 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Thanks bud, but think of the reward getting your current one done, and ready to go. I don't know about you, but I would take some time away from working on another project. I was already starting to burn myself out on my '82 project. Because of the hang-ups, and such. I mean I have been diligently busting my butt on my Z, Practically everyday for quite a while. So determined to get him running like a top and roadworthy. Should happen within a week or two. I know the motor I am doing is a good strong one. So it will not be a waste doing this swap. I will probably also replace the rear main seal, since I am cleaning up, and repainting the valve cover also. And the throwout bearing in my transmission, since it doesn't cost much at all.

And also thanks Carl for the feedback, much appreciated brother.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:26 PM

Looks good. I've been lazy lately
Old 01-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Doesn't post much...

It's really starting to come together for you Aaron... Looks great. As far as Apollo saying his project is nearly done... That's great if you can feel comfortable feeling finished at a certain point. Me, I am never satisfied. I don't think any of my projects will ever really be "done". Now that I have this Z32 to work on, I am trying to figure out how I'm going to divide my resources between the 280ZX and the Z32. I had some pretty lofty goals for the 280ZX to pull off before MSA, but now I'm not sure if I'll get any of those things done. I have a serious jones to get the Z32 going now. We'll see what happens... Rod.

Quick Reply: Engine swap in progress