280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Engine swap in progress

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 01:19 PM

Try disconnecting and reconnecting your ECU. See if that does anything. Just a shot in the dark, but it wont take you much time. If I was in AZ I'd be over there to help you out man. Sucks to see this happening to you after all the work you've put into it. Keep your head up. It'll get sorted out.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Big Poppa

J How Ya Bin, Been Awhile Since Weve Heard From You.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:26 PM

Well I'm on my last day of freedom but other than that I'm doing alright. I've still got my Z and my turbo Z is on it's way out so I can do the swap here in the driveway. It's just too bad I wont be able to drive it for a while
Old 02-19-2006, 02:05 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay I tried putting the old plugs out of my '81 into my '82. He started right up, but blowing out white smoke like a banshee. Which I am sure means he is running rich. And then he conked out, and won't restart again. So I pulled the plugs out. And sure enought soaking wet. So I think Rod's right on this one, I am putting the stock fuel rail back on. That JSK is a PITA, and it is not preventing me from running my Z on the road. So screw it, after work tonight, the stock rail goes back on. And I will bet any amount on of money on it. That my Z will run just fine. Unfortunately now, I have to get ready for work. Will hopefully get off early enough. That I can swap the rails, and hopefully start him up again. If not tonight, definately tomorrow. And I am sure my headaches will all go away. Screw the JSK rail, for now. It is only for experts to mess with. And I no longer have the patience for it.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:37 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I just need to do some more research on the JSK rail. I think that the regulator isn't hooked up right. Or I need a stronger one to compensate for the fuel. So when the fuel is coming from the tank. It is supposed to be distributed evenly. Otherwise all the fuel that was pumped will dump into the cylinders unregulated, and evened out. That in the end the cylinders get a massive fuel bath. And soak my spark plugs something fierce. I will bet all the money I have, that after I put the stock rail back on. He will run just as good as he did before.

That will also give me a chance while I am researching and such. To strip all the paint off the JSK rail, and either polish it to the aluminum finish. Or have it metallic blue powdercoated. Not sure on that one yet. But I never liked how the look of the rail turned out, it looks like caca. So it is a bad, and good situation, at the same time.

Last edited by WildmaN; 02-19-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Big Poppa

By The Sounds Of It You Are Correct. You Seem To Be Getting Full Fuel Pressure All The Time. Most Likely The Regulator. My Car Runs On 45 Psi Of Pressusre, But It Is Setup For It. Your Engine Is Stock So 30-35 Psi Is All That Is Required. If It Is An Adjustible Regulator Just Turn It Down Alot, Even Better Get A Tee And Put A Guage In Line For Ease Of Adjustment.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:49 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

No it is the stock regulator, I wish I had an adjustable one. Anyway that is all I could figure out, with my small amount of knowledge. I am still thinking the regulator is hooked up wrong. And is not regulating like it should. I should be running tomorrow at the latest. After I put the stock fuel rail back on.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Big Poppa

If It Is The Stock Regulator Your Using With The Jsk Rail Then I Would Swap Regulators First, And Make Sure The Vacuum Line Is Hooked Up And Working, Just Put Your Finger And See If It Sucks At Idle. Betcha Its Just The Regulator Then. You Have A Spare One From The Other Engine So Giver A Try.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Doesn't post much...

^ Momma didn't raise no sucka!

Rod.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

You're so close. Just take your time and you'll be up and run'n real quick. So I guess now is a good time to talk about goin to MSA and showin off all your hard work?
Old 02-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Big Poppa

Dont Jinx Him Appolo, Now He'll Get A Complex. rod mentioned it could be to much fuel and i go to thinkin. usually white means head gasket, but given the other discription it makes more sense to be fuel.

Last edited by SHADY280; 02-19-2006 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:18 PM

Yeah I seriously doubt its the rail itself. Like everyone else said already, get on checking out that regulator. If there is a problem with the regulator itself though, then putting the stock rail back on wont do anything for you. If it's the way you have the regulator hooked up then that can be fixed without swapping out the rails. Take a pic of you set up and post it up.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:21 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I don't know how to post a pic on here. It is confusing for me. I know that the stock regulator is fine. But I also am not happy with how crappy the JSK rail looks right now. And I want to polish it, after stripping the paint off. Or powdercoat it Metallic blue.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:26 PM

Hey it's cool. I mean if you want to remove it anyways then its all good. You can email me a pic and I can post it up if you'd like.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:28 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright give me a few minutes, and I will e-mail you a pic. I have to go out, and take a couple first.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:39 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by WildmaN
I don't know how to post a pic on here. It is confusing for me.
Post pics just like you did in your sig.... load them up to a hosting site (such as cardomain), right click on the pic & copy the url (web location of the pic), then paste it in the reply window with the img tags at the beginning & end: [img] www.pic addy.com [/img]
Old 02-19-2006, 09:41 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Didn't mean to jinx him Shady, just excited for him. Trying to encourage the guy. What ever the problem may be I don't think its beyond your capabilities, Wildman. Keep at it. You have tons of willing, knowledgeable and experienced people here to guide you through it step, by step if necessary.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:40 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

And I do appreciate it Apollo, it's cool with me. Anyway tommorrow morning, I bet if I put my stock rail back on, and hook everything up. He should run without a hitch.

It is also nice to know, I have people on here. Ready to give me what they know, and try and help me out.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:57 PM

The stock reg will work fine {rolls eyes and shakes head } something isn't right with your setup ????....if i was there it would be running ....your air reg screw could be set wrong ....as long your rail isn't leaking then it should be fine ...take a look at your fuel reg and see if its hooked up right .is it hooked to the back of your rail ? is the vac hook up ..my guess is it is ....it only goes on two ways if you have it backwards then it wouldn't have started it in the frist place...swap out drop resistors if you can and ajust your air flow meter screws these most likly wont fix it or do anything but its a start ....make sure your dissy and coil are all in good working order !!!...your plugs most likly are wet because your dissy stops fireing spark ..soon after it warms up....i thought i had a injector problem it seemed to be over fueling bad ...lot of black smoke when driveing.....one moring it just wouldnt start ..it got worse and worse to the point it wouldnt run.... it was under sparking ..not over fueling ..the plugs were wet ...try pulling #1 plug and cranking it over watch the plug and see if it is a bright sprak or a weak one ...i bet it will be weak as **** .after i swaped out my dissy it all went away ...you are fireing fuel you know this because your plugs are wet ..it started so you know everything is hooked up right ...your injectors will only fire in one amont of fuel just becauce you put a bigger rail on does not mean that the injectors will let more fuel in ....your plugs are wet find out why you dont have spark befor you go ripping it all apart again ....trust me its not your rail or your new injectors ... if you dont have any leaks then your golden ....your plugs are wet you are getting fuel ...its for sure a spark problem...

Last edited by 81 Black L28E; 02-20-2006 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:46 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

What are resistors? I am not sure what you are saying on those. But like I said, I am not happy with the rail, because of the caca paint on it. And I want to strip all of the paint on it. And start over with it, but I do appreciate your insight. I just know if I put the stock rail back on. That and I know, it will run just fine. Because this motor always did. It is out of my past daily driver. (my '81) So it is a good strong motor, and everything works right, I am sure of it.

I am just saving myself the hassle. And I am tired of not driving my Z. I haven't drove one in almost 2 friggin' years. And I am jonesing bad to have my Z on the road. And now I need to, also because my Celica's wheel bearings are making awful noises.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:02 AM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by WildmaN
(my '81)
Anyone know of differences between 81-82 that would cause these problems??
Old 02-20-2006, 08:47 AM
Doesn't post much...

Non Turbo = No dropping resistors.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:17 AM

It's NOT the fuel rail. Here's the evidence:

Everything is hooked up right so we can rule out the fuel rail and the way it is set up. It's got to be something else.

Oh and by the way, that radiator fan shroud looks really nice. I never noticed that before.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:19 AM
The Good Twin

One thing I suggest... straightening out all the wires & lines... sorry, I'm a perfectionist.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:20 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Everything is hooked up right so we can rule out the fuel rail and the way it is set up. It's got to be something else.

Oh and by the way, that radiator fan shroud looks really nice. I never noticed that before.
Do we know what the fuel pressure is?

Quick Reply: Engine swap in progress