280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

280ZX (NA) to 280ZX Turbo swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Bleach.. This is the motivation that I need I appreciate it ..
Old 11-10-2005, 05:04 PM
Doesn't post much...

Dr. Bleach please report to surgery...

Rod.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:07 AM
The Evil Twin

Ok, the little disasembly went slower than thought. That turbo crap is packed in there pretty good despite the huge engine compartment.

AFM out, radiator out, hood off, bumper off, rad support cut, car up on jacks, driveline not quite disconnected...

Ya, that's all. Doesn't seem like much for 6 hours of work. Oh, spent some time with my daughter this evening too, ok!?! The engine will come out tomorrow!

...then all that fun stuff of new gaskets, paint, timing set, swap manifolds from one engine to the other block/head. yada yada yada

See, I told you I would post pics tonight. 10 min left in the day...
------
[edit] my post says 1:07am, clock says 11:55pm

Oh, and the P90head/block that I had already on the garage floor, that thing spings around by hand with no effort. No rings seized up on that bad boy. I sure hope this thing runs good for me when its done!
Attached Thumbnails 280ZX (NA) to 280ZX Turbo swap-proj1.jpg   280ZX (NA) to 280ZX Turbo swap-proj2.jpg   280ZX (NA) to 280ZX Turbo swap-proj3.jpg   280ZX (NA) to 280ZX Turbo swap-proj4.jpg   280ZX (NA) to 280ZX Turbo swap-proj5.jpg  

Last edited by Bleach; 11-11-2005 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:27 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Who's Blue Z is that in the background? Oh man that is friggin' sweet!
Old 11-11-2005, 06:27 AM
Bleach is my Hero

Yeah it is.. well bleach its good to see you haven't completly caught up to me
Old 11-11-2005, 08:35 AM

Looking at that last pic just made me laugh. Has anyone else ever realized just how convenient those head light buckets are for keeping loose bolts and tools from getting lost while you're working on the Z. I love those things and they're a gift from the Z gods
Old 11-11-2005, 11:29 AM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Has anyone else ever realized just how convenient those head light buckets are for keeping loose bolts and tools from getting lost while you're working on the Z.
...only on a car that doesn't have a good paint job!

A friend from the Z-Car Club of Washington stopped by to help a bit. That is his blue '81 turbo. He recently did a swap from auto to 5-speed in that car. The engine is all stock.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:39 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah I figured it was an '81 Turbo, going by the snowflake wheels. That is sweet, that he converted to a 5-speed. Tell him to take care of that nice Z, also ask him what color blue that is. I would like that kind of blue with silver on my Z.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Doesn't post much...

Yeah, that blue one is purdy. He must be stoked on the 5 speed swap.

Rod.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:05 PM
The Evil Twin

I think that's just the original blue. Blue interrior, blue exterrior. In person, its got a few dings and some imperfections. It looks great in the pics. We tied for 1st place in the 280ZX category at the Meeting of the Mindz 2005. My car looks better in pics than in person as well.

All these little electrical things are sure taking a long time to disconnect. I'm taking my time though and examining everything so I understand how to hook it all back up; taking reference pics too.

anyway, back to the garage...

Wouldn't that be fun to have a Bleach Cam in the garage? I've got high speed internet now... hehe...
Old 11-11-2005, 04:19 PM
The Evil Twin

Question: Above the ECU there is a small silver box that plugs into the ECU wiring harness. Do I need this? I think so. Its difficult to get the upper mounting screw out... I might have to remove the dash first.

Still working on the wiring. The harness is coming out nice and clean...
Attached Thumbnails 280ZX (NA) to 280ZX Turbo swap-z08.jpg  
Old 11-11-2005, 05:49 PM
The Evil Twin

Wiring is basically done except for the part that goes through the firewall behind the battery.

You've got the wires going to the fusable link block, and then down into a hole that I assume ends up connecting to the back of the fuse block. Where does this set of three wires go? Should I just cut it and solder it back into the non-turbo body the same? I'd have to rip apart my car a bit to see if its the same.... I'd rather not do that in the pouring rain.

Also, I found the best warning sticker ever...
Attached Thumbnails 280ZX (NA) to 280ZX Turbo swap-z09.jpg   280ZX (NA) to 280ZX Turbo swap-z11.jpg   280ZX (NA) to 280ZX Turbo swap-z12.jpg   280ZX (NA) to 280ZX Turbo swap-z10.jpg  
Old 11-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Bleach is my Hero

That is an awsome warning sticker You caught up to me again .. I need to get on it tomorro.. I will be re-routing all wiring tomorrow..

Good stuff keep it coming
Old 11-12-2005, 11:13 AM

Where's that sticker on the car? I gotta see if I got one. That's classic. And YOU KNOW that if there's a warning sticker for it then it's been done
Old 11-12-2005, 06:18 PM
The Evil Twin

Ok dudes, due to other stuff in my life I got NO work done on the Z today... yet

The sticker was stuck to the headliner just behind the map light.

Yes, I have done that while driving and so have many of my friends while in the Z. They can't resist. I think I'll be putting that sticker in my car.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Bleach is my Hero

excuses,excuses.. just kiddin hope it works out. I wil e getting all your parts out on monday, there boxd up and ready to go..
Old 11-12-2005, 10:03 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Bleach
Question: Above the ECU there is a small silver box that plugs into the ECU wiring harness. Do I need this? I think so. Its difficult to get the upper mounting screw out... I might have to remove the dash first.
I dunno if that question got answered, but the box above the ECU is the fuel pump control module (only on the turbo model). It controls the fuel pump between idle & high speed... only needed if you want it stock. Otherwise you'd need to make a relay & on / off switch for the fuel pump.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:43 AM
The Evil Twin

If I hook up that fuel pump control, will I need any additional wiring to be swapped besides the ECU to fuel injection wires? I was planning to keep my non-turbo dash wiring and non-turbo gauges.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:07 AM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by NismoPick
I dunno if that question got answered, but the box above the ECU is the fuel pump control module (only on the turbo model). It controls the fuel pump between idle & high speed... only needed if you want it stock. Otherwise you'd need to make a relay & on / off switch for the fuel pump.
Ah, crap.. I gotta do this today.. Nismopick, did you just hard wire yours?

What if I keep it hooked up to an ignition souce?
Old 11-13-2005, 10:58 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Bleach
If I hook up that fuel pump control, will I need any additional wiring to be swapped besides the ECU to fuel injection wires? I was planning to keep my non-turbo dash wiring and non-turbo gauges.
I think the ecu & fuel pump control wiring are all bundled together right? For the car to run, you will be okay... as for all the gauges functioning correctly, I'm not sure.

I remember debating over & over if I should cut & splice in the needed wires, or just pull all the wiring. After tracing all the needed wires in the schematics, I decided to swap the entire car wiring harnesses from bumper to bumper. Took a long time, but no wiring confusion... no mishaps, and everything worked like it should.

Originally Posted by s/cL3.0
Ah, crap.. I gotta do this today.. Nismopick, did you just hard wire yours?

What if I keep it hooked up to an ignition souce?
I still have mine hooked up to the control mod, but I plan on hard wiring it eventually, using a relay: 30 amp fused power, ignition remote source, and put in a switch incase I need to kill the pump.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Bleach is my Hero

I still have mine hooked up to the control mod, but I plan on hard wiring it eventually, using a relay: 30 amp fused power, ignition remote source, and put in a switch incase I need to kill the pump.
Yeah I will get to that tomorow I finished setting up and mounting my SDS right now.. I am now finding power sources..
Old 11-13-2005, 12:47 PM

you can keep your NA dash and wiring...its seperate from the actual ECU wiring....
Old 11-13-2005, 03:35 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Skully
you can keep your NA dash and wiring...its seperate from the actual ECU wiring....
yes, but not all lights / gauges will work correctly. I swapped the dash harness too, so I could keep all warning lights working correctly, and have the oil temp & boost gauge.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:55 PM
The Evil Twin

I'm planning to run the NA gauges and add an external boost gauge and possibly oil temp. I'll go with my plan for now and figure out any gauges that don't work after the car is running.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:25 PM
The Evil Twin

yes, but not all lights / gauges will work correctly. I swapped the dash harness too, so I could keep all warning lights working correctly, and have the oil temp & boost gauge.
By warning lights, you mean the idiot lights around the gauges won't work correctly?

It seems to make sense that the gauges should be ok. The dash goes to the chassis wiring harness which connects at a few locations on the right side of the block and then the temp sensor by the thermostat. This should basically remain unchanged when the turbo block is placed in my car. I'll need to make sure none of my sensors are from the '83 (digital) turbo block. I have an 82 turbo block to use and I can use my non-turbo thermostat housing.
Oil pressure, voltmeter, and clock remain the same non-turbo crap.
Head temp, block temp, are part of the EFI wire harness.

Anyway, just thinking out loud here. The one thing I'm still wondering on is how the fuel pump module will reach the fuel pump if that particular harness is basically separate of the chassis harness... unless I'm missing a vital connection.

If this module changes the fuel pump speed or something, then if I do decide to hook the pump up to just an on/off relay am I missing anything performance wise or just safety-wise? (safety as in, if the car is wrecked, the fuel pump will stay on)

The three white wires going from the EFI harness into the firewall behind the battery are just for power, right? ...

I'm going to check eventually, but is there any diffrence in the turbo and NA fuse panel?

Quick Reply: 280ZX (NA) to 280ZX Turbo swap