280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just failed smog due to Silicone Vacuum lines

Old 03-08-2013, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by GTH
ive got 91 in it right now, I think i need to get a bottle of additive and maybe take a blowtorch to the cat get it glowing.
Or.. you could just drive it for 30 minutes on some backroads! Much more fun anyways.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:18 PM
GTH

So, ive passed smog. Timing set to 6, B-12 in a vaccume tube, oil change, (new filter of course) and let it run while in the waiting room.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:22 AM

Try being in my boat. Not one 79-83 Z car will pass Pennsylvania emissions! Fail mine every year due to Missing or tampered emission control device. Every year I ask pep boys whats wrong. Well son you don't have a smog pump on you car. I reply it is bosh fuel injection there is no reason to have one. They reply well son you need a r-title from the state since you installed a fancy weed wacker in there. I reply its F$&%ing factory. Pep boys manager told me sonny I don't give a **** what Nissan says Pennsylvania claims its carbonated with a rocket pump. Buy a Chevy and ill pass it.

Idiots went to my buds shop he called up a 1981 Datsun 280zx n/a. It has a 2.4 with a singal webber carb. 1970-1983 I called up Harrisburg the state says it needs atleast 1000 fails in the state to even inquire their own F%#@ing error.

Most shops just take a look at Google then place TRULY ILLEGAL STICKERS on the cars.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:22 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by Lesnocker
Try being in my boat. Not one 79-83 Z car will pass Pennsylvania emissions! Fail mine every year due to Missing or tampered emission control device. Every year I ask pep boys whats wrong. Well son you don't have a smog pump on you car. I reply it is bosh fuel injection there is no reason to have one. They reply well son you need a r-title from the state since you installed a fancy weed wacker in there. I reply its F$&%ing factory. Pep boys manager told me sonny I don't give a **** what Nissan says Pennsylvania claims its carbonated with a rocket pump. Buy a Chevy and ill pass it.

Idiots went to my buds shop he called up a 1981 Datsun 280zx n/a. It has a 2.4 with a singal webber carb. 1970-1983 I called up Harrisburg the state says it needs atleast 1000 fails in the state to even inquire their own F%#@ing error.

Most shops just take a look at Google then place TRULY ILLEGAL STICKERS on the cars.
Your big mistake was listening to whatever Pep Boys mechanics say. They are full of crap. That is why I never take my cars to them, and only buy parts. They are a bunch of morons.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:24 AM
The Good Twin

^^^ Indeed.

Every year I ask pep boys whats wrong. Well son you don't have a smog pump on you car.
Don't take it back to them year after year if they are being idiots. I take my cars to a shop that WILL pass them, not fail them.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:39 AM

I don't know about Cali laws but here in Texas, if they fail you and you ask to see why, they HAVE to show you in the DMV book what the law is. I know this because I used to be a state inspector here. Here, all inspection stations must keep up-to-date reference manuals and contact information for their DOT rep. If they (or you) have questions regarding anything, call the rep. If the inspector has a problem with calling them somethings fishy.
Also, in Texas, ALL vehicles get a pass/fail report and a failed vehicle must have detailed reasons that jibe with whats in the book.

Glad we have exemptions here for vehicles "Over 24 years old" !!! Safety only!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:00 PM

I have been useing my buds shop. I just like to be a a$$hole If they cant get past visual they cant charge you. Do waste a 1/2 hour of their time. Thats what they get for not honoring their tire warrenty.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:09 PM

pretty lax here

Just our county has had emissions for a while now, the adjoining county to our west just implemented inspections, and they are all pissy about it now, council men coming out in public and refusing to test, and then getting theyr'e licenses suspended for talking out... hehe ******* politicians

Old 04-17-2013, 12:15 AM

Tottally understand!! We are a tiny microscopic community 50 miles south of pittsburgh. Half of the people are on welfare the other half work at our 4 walmarts surrounding us. So a 1800.00 repair is equal to a 100000.00 repair. In most eyes. I say 15 n out should be realistic for emissions. Saw a woman down at the shop in tears. Early 90's Pontiac grand-am 600.00 for a total replacement of her egr system. Only car she had with 2 toddlers. I smiled reached into my buds drawer and grabbed and signed her stickers. Thought I bought her a brand new car. I got ripped down for it and I asked my buddy "really a cop is going to stop her and write her up for a leaky vacume line and some bits" Stupidity went bought him a case of Bud and went fishing never whined about it since.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:54 AM

Tottally understand!! We are a tiny microscopic community 50 miles south of pittsburgh. Half of the people are on welfare the other half work at our 4 walmarts surrounding us. So a 1800.00 repair is equal to a 100000.00 repair. In most eyes. I say 15 n out should be realistic for emissions. Saw a woman down at the shop in tears. Early 90's Pontiac grand-am 600.00 for a total replacement of her egr system. Only car she had with 2 toddlers. I smiled reached into my buds drawer and grabbed and signed her stickers. Thought I bought her a brand new car. I got ripped down for it and I asked my buddy "really a cop is going to stop her and write her up for a leaky vacume line and some bits" Stupidity went bought him a case of Bud and went fishing never whined about it since.
you're a Good man