280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just failed smog due to Silicone Vacuum lines

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:41 PM
GTH

Angry Just failed smog due to Silicone Vacuum lines

WTF?

So ive got silicone vacuum lines that happen to be silver and the smog place says they are illegal.

These lines can be purchased at ANY auto parts store in 'merica and I have been unable to find anything stating that they are illegal. I just got off the phone with a couple different smog techs and most seem to be in agreement that there is nothing wrong with silicone lines. Now im getting the run around from the place that failed me. All sorts of excuses, the Tech that failed me isn't in, they dont have time to look it up, even just being outright rude, coughing into the phone for 45 seconds then claiming they have a sore throat and passing me back to the original guy who didn't have any information.

Anyone got any info pertaining to silicone lines?

I've managed to find some EOs from CARB for intake systems that use silicone lines, but nothing for just the lines specifically.

EO#
D-354
D-570
D-241-7
D-562-2
D-544-2
D-660

And the manufacturer where I got my lines from sells lines to Akimoto who is on that list, D-354, and even more specifically for using a silicone tube for the PCV line.

pretty frustrated right now that I cant get my tags because idiot smog techs are giving me a hard time.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:45 PM
The Good Twin

I assume you are in CA?

Just take it to another shop... perhaps ask about it before they start the inspection.

OR... go buy black lines, install, take car back to shop.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:58 PM
GTH

Yeah CA, and the STAR programs here basically ensures that if it passes somewhere else they will investigate as to why it passed/failed at either shop. so alot of techs are wary about passing a failed car.

i could go buy black lines but now im mad, and i think my prides getting in the way a bit, but i want to prove them wrong. all the EOs ive read say silicone lines do not need to be black. :\ seems like alot of time, money, and energy at this point.

They didn't fail it when they first popped the hood, they didn't fail it when they were checking the timing, they failed it after it was on the machine and had run through and passed emissions.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:03 PM
The Good Twin

So print off your official DMV documentation and drive back down there... talk to the manager...
Old 02-25-2013, 01:27 PM
GTH

small problem. nothing says anything about it. legal/illegal, its not really documented.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:04 PM
GTH

...so i called the smog place back, the tech was finally in, i spoke with him and he wants me to fix the PCV hose, that it cant be silicone. needs to be replace with fuel line.....

so I go check and its not even one of the lines he marked. the PCV line is still the piece of line i got the car with.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:10 PM
The Good Twin

Is this place like 50 miles away? Just drive down there...
Old 02-26-2013, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by GTH
... the PCV line is still the piece of line i got the car with.
The tech probably thinks that the blow by hose to the valve cover is where the PCV valve is....

Seems like if the car fails that the reason needs to be documented....
Old 02-26-2013, 04:07 PM

Stuff like this reminds me why I am so very, very happy to live in a place that doesn't have smog ****'s
Old 02-28-2013, 03:15 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

The place I go to, didn't even fail me when one of my vacuum lines wasn't hooked to the charcoal cannister. They really aren't that bright where I go. Which I like a lot. Sorry you are having so much trouble. But I think it is friggin' stupid, and pointless to fail you for aftermarket vacuum lines. Who cares if they are silicone? One of many reasons I am glad I don't live in Liberalfornia.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:11 AM
GTH

New plugs....not sure if it helped

Car was stored for about a year, old gas has been burned off, new 91 is in the tank now. just swapped the plugs as I need to pass smog (im passing so far but just barely) and my last test failed due to timing....the tech said it was at 0, i got it home and checked it and its at 10.....blah.

but now it seems to hesitate and has a little trouble starting. I went through the plugs one by one and made sure they are seated, checked the gap on all of em (used a flathead and eyeballed to adjust) they all appear fine. just went with copper NGR (direct replacement of what was in there) used boot grease and the non stick stuff as well. did one at a time so i didnt get my wires crossed.

Dont have a torque wrench so i did a 1/4 turn past hand tight.

i think thats about it....I guess im wondering if I should go after the fuel filter, as the car sat for a while i wonder if the gas in there turned to varnish, get some additive or what my next step should be.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:26 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by GTH
the tech said it was at 0, i got it home and checked it and its at 10.....blah.
Do you have an adjustable timing light? If so, make sure you have the advance setting correct (like at ZERO). Also make sure your vacuum advance is disconnected (n/a) or TPS unplugged (turbo).

Originally Posted by GTH
checked the gap on all of em (used a flathead and eyeballed to adjust) they all appear fine.
Eh? That's not how you gap plugs... and there's no way to measure proper gap with a screw driver. Your local parts store sells gapper rings for $0.99.

Originally Posted by GTH
just went with copper NGR
You mean NGK?
Old 03-04-2013, 11:27 AM
GTH

Originally Posted by Genewiz
The tech probably thinks that the blow by hose to the valve cover is where the PCV valve is....

Seems like if the car fails that the reason needs to be documented....
thats exactly what he said. told me that was part of the PVC system. my reply was huh? i think you're wrong, and pointed out the PCV valve and the brand new hose I had just put on it.

He said he was right, and that he didnt like my review i left him on google, and that he would give me my money back...... So he cut me a check and I left.

the new place i went to replied with Huh? Silicone? well im not a chemist so I dont know what silicone is. thoes lines look fine to me. HAHA then failed me for timing.....which is set to 10 and he said it was 0. seriouslyer wtf.

So im taking to back in tomorrow morning to see what happens now. such a pita
Old 03-04-2013, 12:54 PM

Do you have any pictures of said vacuum lines installed?

If they are dicking you around, just take it to a smog referee.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:30 PM
GTH

Old 03-05-2013, 12:02 PM
GTH

damn, well this time i failed from actual emissions.

15 MPH, HC (PPM) 140, max 138 :\
25 MPH passed everything, but was very close on HC, 77 outta 77.

So any tips for me? do any additives work? should I look at replacing the cat?

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:38 PM
GTH

gonna change my oil, and grab a can of sea foam. may be enough to get me below 138 HC.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:42 PM
The Good Twin

High HC's is almost always a symptom of an ignition problem... usually worn or mis-gapped spark plugs, cap, rotor, wires, or timing advanced too far...

All of which I'd say you still haven't fixed (from your previous posts).

I just did emissions on my Geo Metro for Feb. I'm friends w/ a local shop mechanic, so we ran it on evaluation mode & it failed for idle HC. Pulled out the 3 year old worn out NGK's, replaced w/ new NGK's, turned down timing to 3*, and passed w/ flying colors.

Last edited by NismoPick; 03-05-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:47 PM
GTH

Ive fixed my timing, but i "fixed" it to 8-9ish, i'll lower it, also new plugs went in yesterday, i'll check the cap as well, should prolly get a spark plug gapper to double check, eyeballin is not quite the best method.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:07 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by GTH
i'll check the cap as well, should prolly get a spark plug gapper to double check, eyeballin is not quite the best method.
Yurp...

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Eh? That's not how you gap plugs... and there's no way to measure proper gap with a screw driver. Your local parts store sells gapper rings for $0.99.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:41 PM
GTH

Yes, NGK, sorry.

Got a gapper, they are ~1mm now (my screwdriver was not very accurate)

Could not change my oil as my drain plug is frozen :\

Timing is 5-6ish now.

Ran some B-12 through the break booster line, took the whole can. heh. let it sit and fired it up. I did not get as much smoke as I had expected.....not sure if i did it wrong or what. but it sure does stink burning that stuff off.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:35 PM
GTH

GARG! cant get the drain plug out of the oil pan.

Tried wd40, PB blaster, a hammer, cold, hot, upside down, you name it. the thing is stuck :\
Old 03-06-2013, 09:15 PM

STOP! You are so very close to passing. It could be the simplest of things like warming up the car longer before the test run or getting the right fuel octane.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:33 PM

So very glad I don't have to worry about emissions in Texas on an 83.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 AM
GTH

ive got 91 in it right now, I think i need to get a bottle of additive and maybe take a blowtorch to the cat get it glowing.

Quick Reply: Just failed smog due to Silicone Vacuum lines