280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JUST BOUGHT ME a 1983 280zxt 2+2 5speed !

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 09:44 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

How did you pay for it? If you used PayPal, you may be able to have them reverse the payment.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:05 PM
Taste My Rainbow

I HAD A ECU AND WIRE HARNESS I WOULD HAVE GIVEN YOU BUT IT WAS OUT OF AN 81 i STILL NEED TO TRY TO GET IT BACK FROM A GUY I TRADED IT TO.. LOL
Old 07-16-2006, 12:22 PM

Location: Houston Tx. Cleveland Tx. New Caney Tx. and every other Tx.
sorry to hear about your most unfortunate perchase on ebay. or should I say that damn **** sucker that riped you off.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:49 PM

well i have finnaly gopt a response from the guy one week later he said " he contacted his post office and there post office is doing some tpye4 of investgation" im pretty pissed off... plus with other things going on in my life its very possable yall might see me on www.amw.com watch for the speeding turbo z car... lol
Old 07-22-2006, 06:15 PM

I have come up with something.. that i should of done in the first place.. after i took off the vavle cover and put it to theside i didint think about looking underneath the valve cover... just yesterday i looked at the valve cover and it looks like it was on fire...? now.. hears the thing i have finnaly come up with.. " 1 i am getting fuel 2 i am getting spark 3 ... fuel is gettting to the cylendars... im getting the car to back fire.. but no start... p.s. the motor oil is full of fuel... .... could it be a blown gasket ? Head gasket ? does any body have any extra " how to rebuild" datson inline six books ?

Stuck valves? blown engine ? <-- thats why i think this damn car isnt starting..
Old 07-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by nismo619
I have come up with something.. that i should of done in the first place.. after i took off the vavle cover and put it to theside i didint think about looking underneath the valve cover... just yesterday i looked at the valve cover and it looks like it was on fire...? now.. hears the thing i have finnaly come up with.. " 1 i am getting fuel 2 i am getting spark 3 ... fuel is gettting to the cylendars... im getting the car to back fire.. but no start... p.s. the motor oil is full of fuel... .... could it be a blown gasket ? Head gasket ? does any body have any extra " how to rebuild" datson inline six books ?

Stuck valves? blown engine ? <-- thats why i think this damn car isnt starting..
Low/intermittant/no spark = too much fuel = fuel washing down the cylinder walls and eventually mixing with the oil.

Chances are, your motor is not blown.

You have SOME SORT of IGNITION PROBLEM

Rod.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:06 PM
The Good Twin

nismo619... remember when I told you in that PM a few weeks ago, that part of the reason everyone is so hard on you, is because you jump to some pretty whack conclusions??? This would be a beaut example....

There is fuel in the oil cuz it's flooded to hell! Did you do what I told you about getting it unflooded??? Please don't tell me that my advice has been all in vain...
Old 07-22-2006, 09:09 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Nismo619 dude, how do you conclude a blown head gasket with fuel in the oil? Last time I checked it is water in the oil, that determines a blown gasket, or cracked head. I mean where are you getting this info from? Out of the thin air? You need to research on what you are doing man. And dude seriously take my advice from before. And tackle one car at a time. Or you are not going to get verry far. Harsh but it is the truth bro'. I really hate to see somebody make a fool of themselves, and post nonsense. Because they wont heed info, and or advice that is given to them.

All aside, we are here to help you out bro'. But it makes no difference if you keep trying to do your own thing. Then we feel like we are just talking to a wall. Please heed our advice, and also read some more in the manuals. You will learn a lot trust me on that one man. And you will have more knowledge, and better questions. And or conclusions, and I am not here to bag on you man. Just trying to get you on the right track.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:38 PM

yep manules can make for a smarter mechanic, or atleast give them an opertunite to not screw up. well I agree that fuel in the oil is casued by fluding and washing down the walls, but I also agree that week rings can contribut to it as well. If you don't be carful all that wash down washes the oil off the cylender walls leaving no lubricant on them for the rings to slide up and down just scraping the walls out smooth and to big making the rings not seat and seal. I don't put week rings out of mind if a car is not smoking, becaus I have seen plenty of cars with bad rings and never let any smoke out.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:44 AM

Nismopick i did do what u told me too... i clamped off the fuel line turned the key and pushed the gas pedal to the floor the car only back fired badly... , RoD said it has somthing to do with the igniton... im lost on what else is there to do to check the ignition for problems ? RELAYS ? FUSES? WIRE ? just need help u guys... please

p.s. some times i do take things in my own hands and yes i do get out of control with wild krazy thoughts
Old 07-23-2006, 09:46 AM

stuck open injectors can cause excessive fuel in the cylender as well as any other colprets.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:39 PM

AWSOME NEWS !!!! I got her to START !!! what i had to do was take off the valve cover.. set the first pistion to TDC.. by aliniging the crank shaft to 0 underneath the car.. then i took off the oil pump and moved the shaft to number 6 fireing order.. i should of moved it to number 1.. eather way i got the car to start !! she runs !!! but still am in need of a ecu.. YOU GUYS SHOULD OF SEEN MY EYES !!! when i saw the digital dash light up and the rpm gauge read.. I LOVE IT !!!! " SHE RUNS !!!! SHE RUNS !!!
Old 08-02-2006, 03:14 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Congrats man, good to hear. See what happens when you take a little time away from it? And also do some good research? Props to you man, good luck with getting the ECU. I believe I saw a couple on e-bay. Check them out.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:54 PM
The Good Twin

Holy Hell! It runs!!! Wahoo!!! But why do you need an ecu if it runs?
Old 08-02-2006, 08:56 PM

The one i ordered on ebay the guy ****ed me and never sent me back my money io left nasty negiitve feedback thou and i e-mailed him and threatend that if he doesnt refund my money that i would bid on everything he owns and win and leave nasty feedback for evrything.. PAY BACK WILL BE MINE ! P.s. i need a timing light.. or somthing.. as i have to hold the throttle body half way open to keep the car running..
Old 08-06-2006, 01:24 AM

Ok hears the deal... i took off the valve cover. turned the crank over with a 18mm open end wrench.. looked between the power steering pump to find the TDC marks on the engine.. i lined the mark on the CrankSHaft pully " harmonic balancer " to 0 degrees top dead center

Then i Took off the oil pump four bolts 12mm pulled out the pump and set the oil pump aka distrubitor shaft to number one spark plug..

so far i have gotten the car to start up.. but the car wont run with out me giving it alot of throttle... i press the throttle half way down to the floor and i get maybe 1000 rpm up to 2,500 rpm..

1 new MAF sensor
2 cold start valve
3 iggy coil
4 new engine temp senseor
5 engine coolent sensor..

Could it be somthing not letting the car idel ? KNOCK SENSOR ? i was thinking that the timing might still be off what do yall think ?
Old 08-06-2006, 01:57 AM

set your timing. the turbo dizzy shouldn't line up just right with #1. It should be set at 20degrees. if your timing is too far off in the wrong direction then it's not going to idle.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:59 AM

so jay fair lady i set the crank timing to 20* right ? then i set the iggy timing to right before number one spark ?
Old 08-07-2006, 12:59 PM
NisTuner

Ignition Timing is setting that timing with the crank. At least I believe they can be called the same thing. Bleach had mentioned that in the FSM for the 83' that the timing is to be set at 24* before TDC? Although it'll make very little/if any difference if it's at 20 or 24.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by nismo619
so jay fair lady i set the crank timing to 20* right ? then i set the iggy timing to right before number one spark ?
With the crank aligned at 20 degrees the dizzy should be at #1. I have my '83 set at 20degrees. Never noticed anything saying to set it to 24 Maybe my FSM is for 82.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:29 PM

Reading every page in this post , I finally noticed that the last one was in 2006...

How about an update bro...LOL... Got it running ok I assume?
Old 08-15-2007, 10:32 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by keebler
Reading every page in this post , I finally noticed that the last one was in 2006...

How about an update bro...LOL... Got it running ok I assume?
please dont dredge up dead threads. bad forum etiquite.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:19 AM

Just to let every one know i got sick and tired of seeing the 83 280zx T 2+2 siting there not running as alot of people know now i havent been around for a long time why ? well just to tell the truth ive been in county jail . Anyways i came home and re did a upper timimg chain check low and behold it was off by ALOT !

1 : I took off the valve cover ....
2 : used my 19mm open end wrench to loosen the Nut off the Sproket.
3: there was alot of built up oil on the upper cam sproket
4: I was brefily distracted by my 2 year old son.
5: i came back to the car and slowly backed out the sproket .
6: OHHHHH NOOO !!!! while i was pulling off the Sproket A washer sliped down into the lower timimg cover. So quickly i grabed my extendable magnet nut picker upper " LOL as i call it to reach for the Washer " it was too late "

7: I debated for about 3 hours the do and donts of what to do the easiest thing to do was to unbolt the oil pan and get the washer out. Oh no " I kenneth wanted to do it the hard way to find out how hard it really is to take off everything ! rebuild time ! so everything came off " PERIOD " everything all im down to now is the BARE LOWER BLOCK. Right now im tring to find a part time job to get a " complete gasket kit " 75 dollars off ebay,. shipped.

I am useing my Wifes 1982 280zx 2+2 n/a auto parts car to help make things go easlier . i dont expect this turbo 2+2 digital dash running any time soon. But as i learn more and more and gather the parts i trully need i will become better with my Z " To know your Z u must break her down and rebuild her " YOURSELF !
Old 08-16-2007, 12:48 AM
Ruff Ryder

you know that as long as the washer didnt end up near any moving parts it would have been fine..
Old 08-16-2007, 01:33 AM

What were you in jail for?

Quick Reply: JUST BOUGHT ME a 1983 280zxt 2+2 5speed !