280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JUST BOUGHT ME a 1983 280zxt 2+2 5speed !

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 03:53 PM

well to be honest the lug wires look kinda old.. im in the process of going up and down into the basement looking for my used good items " CAP AND ROTOR " was what i was gonna try next... is it possable that the spark plug wires can go bad or short out ? becuase number one cylendar is the only one fireing.. ? werid ive never had this problem before with any of my 280zx's " could it be the CRANK ANGLE SENSOR " ?
Old 06-25-2006, 04:34 PM

Location: Houston Tx. Cleveland Tx. New Caney Tx. and every other Tx.
yea actually the insolater starts to brake down allowing for small holes, and crack in it were the electricity can go direct to the block, or nearest ground.you can start the car or have somone crank it and hold all the wires off the engine, and if you get shocked any well you know thats your case, but who knows they can I don't know how often, but develop an open.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:55 PM

Well it's a no go with the ignition switch. I found the key I was thinking of but it doesn't go to that ignition switch. It doesn't work on my current ignition either. So I have no idea what the key I found goes to.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:19 PM

Sorry jfairladyz... so its a no go with your switch ... How about u shady280 ? did u find your switch and key ? by the wya every one new update changed out the cap and rotor and still nothing so i decided to take out the passenger seat to see the boxes underneath it.. and i think it might be the boxes.. does any one know what they are and what they do ? i see one silver box says ASCD ? the meduim size black box is broken and in peaces and the wires look kinda bad.. then there is a blue relay ? but to what ? question is could any of the fuses boxes under neath the passenger seat make the car not start ? by the way when i turn on the key the " bitching betty unit " doesnt come on eather? could that be the problem ?

i still need if any body could find any to sell me

1 82 -83 ECU
2 clutch master cylendar
3 igniton switch with key.. if u dont have the key , ill pay the lock smith to make me a key.. there goes 25 bucks

4. possable bithcing betty unit ?
5. one iron cross wheel... lol 14 inch...

haynes manual page 203 # 13,14,15,16 " tail and stop lamp sensor , ASCD controller ? ASCD relay ? 16 diode box .. if any of thouse were not working would the car not get spark to the spark plugs ?

Last edited by nismo619; 06-25-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:14 AM

Ok any body else have any ideas why the car wont start ?
Old 06-26-2006, 08:17 AM
The Good Twin

Is the metal coil bracket grounded? Make sure it's bolted tight to the inner wheel well. I'd attach a wire to the bracket & run it to the strut tower bolt to make sure you've got a really good ground. It won't spark if it's not.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:37 AM

Nismopick i did what u told me to do hook up a negitive wire to the coil. and hooked it to the bolt on the top struts.. i got a back fire ...a few time but no luck.. is it possable that the fuel pressure is too high ? could that be a reason why it wonjt start ? the return fuel line might be cloged ? would the cold start valve or the TPS make a differance in starting the car too ?
Old 06-26-2006, 10:06 AM
The Good Twin

If it backfired... then it seems to have spark. Your fuel pressure isn't too high (if anything it would be too low), but try this: Get a pair of vice grips or needle nose pinchers or some kind of clamp & clamp off the fuel line just after the fuel filter, so no more fuel will get to the injectors. Don't clamp it really hard, cuz you don't want to damage the hose, but enough to close it all the way off.

Now, start the car w/ your gas pedal floored. Hold the key while trying to start it.... let it go for a good 10 seconds before stopping.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:07 AM

i think i found out whats wrong every one... if the car had too much fuel pressure that would cause it to not start huh ? i think the return fuel line is cloged or not working.. im gonna jack up the back of the car and take off the return fuel line.. ill let yall know what i find'
Old 06-26-2006, 10:07 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by nismo619
i think i found out whats wrong every one... if the car had too much fuel pressure that would cause it to not start huh ? i think the return fuel line is cloged or not working.. im gonna jack up the back of the car and take off the return fuel line.. ill let yall know what i find'
read my post ^
Old 06-26-2006, 11:02 AM

nope nismopick it was not that.. i had a friend come over and we did the IGGY switch test i had him hold the coil wire will i tried to turn it over.. nothing... until i almost turned the key off then i got spark ! loose wire ? bad solder connection ? mixed up wires? so for sure its the iggy switch... any help yall ?
Old 06-26-2006, 12:27 PM

ok u guys im puzzled i have tooken off the key switch tried to turn her over.. she gets no spark when i have the key turned all the way but when i turn it to almost off postion it fires? weird ? could it be one of the silver boxes on the drivers side were the ecu is ?
Old 06-26-2006, 04:06 PM

any body else been threw what i am going threw right now ? this is a hard one to figure out.. im gonna cut off the old cat and see if the pipe might be cloged up... any body else have any other hintz ?
Old 06-26-2006, 04:31 PM
The Good Twin

Cut off the cat???? WTF? That's obviously not the prob... but even if it was, UNBOLT IT... DON'T WHACK IT OFF.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:25 PM
Big Poppa

nismo619, your pulling straws dude, dont get outragous just cause it wont start right away, if your geting spark in the almost off position, try hot wiring the switch, or wait till one of use sends you an iggy switch, and start fresh, no need to get silly and rip apart all types of wierd part for nothing, pm me your info, and ill sell you a 82 iggy switch with keys for 35 bucks plus shipping, im gonna give YOU that good deal, so you can get this thing running, i had a simmilar problem with my 79 na. trust me that iggy switch is amazing what it will due when a screw driver has been shoved into it!!!
Old 06-27-2006, 05:47 PM

i couldnt find the key. sorry. it's on you shady if you want to send him one.

nismo619...just close your hood and walk away. before you try to start fixing your own vehicles you need to learn the basics of how the thing works so you can develop a method of trouble shooting. you're likely to do more damage then good if you dont know what you're doing. Being able to replace a part doesn't qualify you to be able to troubleshoot. And dont feed me any BS about knowing what you're doing cause you've clearly outlined that you dont with this thread a couple others. I'm not trying to rag on you and I dont want to hurt your feelings...but there are certain things that not just anybody is cut out for. If you dont have an FSM...get one and read it front to back a few times. Dont skim throught it...read it and retain it.

I hate telling you not to work on your own car cause I'm all for that. But man...you need to educate yourself on what you're doing before you try to do it. Learning as you go isn't for everyone.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:51 PM

its ok jfairlady z ... some times i do get out of hand.. i would rather work on my zcars then even go to work.. your right i need to take a break for a few days and try and figure out what i need and dont need.. but hey thanks for trying to find me and iggy switch.. sorry u cant find the key

p.s. no hard feelings maybe u should of told me like this " kenny man u need to take a break for christ sakes.. your worn out and tired and lost your train of thought..
Old 06-28-2006, 03:59 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

And Nismo619 no offense here either. But I think you have too much on your plate. Did you really need another car, that needed attention to run? I think you need to fix up what you got, before tackling another project, as it sounds to me. And J is right, do some more research and reading of the car manuals. Do you think I did everything, just screwing around, and possibly making things worse than they were? No I asked people on here, I used my common sense, and dug into my repair, and workshop manuals. Otherwise, I would still have a Z sitting in my driveway, that I couldn't get to run. Because I am jumping to conclusions, and not absorbing things people say, or doing what the books tell me to.

Now sure, I have lost my patience temper, and what not through my Z project. But if I got away from it, read some material, asked people online. And went back to it, refreshed, and ready to go again. I did much better, than I did, when I was upset, and stop myself, from doing stupid things, or making unsensible guesses, that get me nowhere. And possible make the situation or problem worse than it was in the first place.

All aside man, I am posting this, not to flame on you. But I have stood by, and heard your frustrations, time and time again. And so I post this, too help you out. Because I don't like to see someone struggle, and take on more than they can handle. Also because when I was at that point. People here, kept me going, and did what they could for me to overcome my obstacles. I constantly faced with my Z. Anyway don't take offense to this man. Just trying to give a fellow Z brother, some healthy advice. And like I said, try not to take more stuff than you can handle. Knock out one thing, then move to another. I have learned that the hard way in my life. That is why I have 3 cars, and none of them are where they need to be. I mean I have had my Firebird almost 9 years now, and she still is nowhere near where I want her. Okay I think I have made my point man. Take this seriously, and not offensively.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:54 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by nismo619
maybe u should of told me like this " kenny man u need to take a break for christ sakes.. your worn out and tired and lost your train of thought..
Unfortunately, online, we can't tell if your tired, worn out and lost your train of thought. All we see is someone acting erratic, not reading the simple post in the message just above. It sounds like someone who's out of control with no common sense.

This is the hard part of an "online" conversation. Personal condition is not apparent.

I think WildmaN hit right on. You're trying to tackle too many projects at once.

I have 6 Z cars right now with plans for all 6... on paper.

I only have one in the middle of a major restoration and I did that on purpose.
If I tried to restore all 6 at the same time, none of them would ever get finished. Out of my 6, only one is being worked on. One is being driven, because it runs flawlessly and all the rest are in storage.

Just to give you some statistics, 9 out of 10 'restoration' projects NEVER GET FINISHED! People get too many things going simultaneously, they don't have a plan and usually run out of money and/or time.

I understand and applaud your enthusiasm, but put the wrench down, step away from car and go have a beer and watch PINKS! on Speed channel July 12th.

Work on only ONE CAR AT A TIME, or you'll end up with two cars that don't run worth a crap.

Then, do what I told WildmaN to do a year ago. Get a notepad and start writing down EVERYTHING you want to do to the first car. Include maintenance items, improvments, repairs... EVERYTHING.

Then, number them in the order that is most important. And don't try to tell me the 750BB turbo upgrade is more important than the new brake pads.

Re-write the ENTIRE list in order of priority based on your numbering.

Then, READ THE FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL from front to back with NO SKIMMING. If you don't understand something right away, don't worry, usually, when you see it on your car or in your engine bay, it'll start to come together. If it doesn't, ask questions before you tear off onto some wild goose chase.

Once your list is complete, go do the top item on the list, then STOP! Go inside the house and relax knowing you accomplished something ON YOUR PLAN.

If you do one item each day, regardless of how trivial, you'll have 365 of them done in the first year.

Plan the work on the big items for the weekend, or when you're off work. Do the little things during the week so you don't get pressured to finish something in one evening. That kind of pressure leads to shortcuts, poor quality and mistakes.

Damn, I sound like my freakin' father... Or Rod...
Old 06-28-2006, 10:04 AM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by lww

Damn, I sound like my freakin' father... Or Rod...
You just had to drag me into this didn't ya?!

I've been reading this thread for days now and biting my tonque all the way through it. I didn't want senior Nismo619 to think I was picking on him again so I stayed out of it. I figured he wouldn't listen to any advice I gave anyway... Just because... Well... You all know why.

NISMO... DUDE! Seriously... LISTEN TO THESE GUYS.

Take the advice they have given you and use it. You'll be much happier and you'll get flamed far less because you won't be asking rediculous questions all the time. Nobody wants to bag on you... Not even me. We just get frustrated when you don't even read the responses to your own questions before going off in a whole other direction, or when you just flat out don't listen. It pisses people off to think they wasted their prescious free time writing a response to help somebody out when they could easily have spent that time doing something else, and the person they're trying to help doesn't heed their advice or even lend credence to it... Enough, I don't want to start sounding like Iww here...

Rod.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:45 PM

I may spend a long time gathering parts and donor stuff for projects but the assembly usually doesn't last longer than a few days.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Big Poppa

so nismo619, sounds to me like the iggy switch is screwed royally, especially if your getting spark during the off position. you had mentioned that the iggy switch had been modified by the previous owner with a screw driver. i have a 82 iggy switch for sale, because j cannot find his, do you want mine for 35 bucks plus the shipping (prolly gonna be cheap). pm me your info and ill get it to you. start fresh and that car will be going in no time!!!
Old 06-28-2006, 03:43 PM

ok well i have thought about it all ..and i will give myself some time to rest on this 83 car.. but the real question still remands why the green light on the ecu doesnt stay on ? when i turn the key all the way ? if i cant get it started by the end of this month i will just take it to the nissan dealership and have them fix it.. were i couldnt.. no biggy well thanks LLW , ROD , Nismopick , Shady , everybody i want ot thank you all for at least trying to help me out.. no hard feelings u guys have a nice day.. im going to go think for awhile
Old 06-29-2006, 09:19 AM

The reason he gets spark when releasing the switch is that the field of the coil, after being energized, will collapse one the key is turned back.

Once the field collapses, a spark is produced.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm a Registered User!

are you getting that iggy+ key???

Quick Reply: JUST BOUGHT ME a 1983 280zxt 2+2 5speed !