280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JUST BOUGHT ME a 1983 280zxt 2+2 5speed !

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 03:23 PM

i dont have the money right now to pay for the iggy and the key... right now im kinda broke.. i has any body ever driving there z car into a lake ? meening once u got that car out of the lake the eletrical was fired ? ... why im asking is becuase i took off the FUEL PUMP box off my 1982 280zx turbo and tried to put it on the 83 turbo.. for some reason it blew a little resister inside the box so i had to put a new ground on my 82 turbo fuel pump.. do u think it could be the fusable links ?
Old 06-29-2006, 04:38 PM
I'm a Registered User!

Did you un-plug the battery before you removed it? If you didn't, you just learned a valuable lesson to make sure the battery is disconnected before touching electronics (Don't worry, I learned this the hard way myself)

Since you also have the '82 turbo that works, why don't you try taking the iggy out of that and trying to start the '83 with it?

That will help you decide if it's the iggy's problem or not

*shrugs* it's worth a shot since it sounds like the '83 's is kinda shot
Old 06-29-2006, 08:34 PM

If you want to know if the ignition switch is bad then just hook up a damn meter already. If you dont have one then go down to Lowes or autozone and pick up a cheapo unit for less than $20. There's no sense in trying to accomplish anything electrical on a car without a meter. And since we cant pull codes off of our ECUs, then a meter is really the only accurate way of testing nearly every sensor and component that uses electricity on our cars.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:37 PM

i have been working on that car since i last loged online since i would say about 4:30 until now 9:35 pm new mexico time.. " i just cant stop working on it " i need to go to a Z therapist ! lol im joking... so far hear is the list i have changed out..

1 air flow meter "
2 distributor cap and rotor
3 alternator,
4 all relays i could find
5 spark plugs
6. all buss fuses,
7. ceter room light up by the t tops.
8 map light,,,
9. numbers 1,2,3,4, 6,7,8 most of them came off my donor 81 turbo car..

quick question this 83 car has a Salvage title.. there is big chucks of Old mud underneath the car lets say some one before me drove the car into a lake..what would fry first ? this is just my opinion.. unless some one hear get free car faxes.com www.carfax.com ? i know pooflingmonkey knowsalot about wireing maybe he can shed more light onto this problem.. p.s. fairlady z i have been useing my OHM meter...
Old 06-29-2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by nismo619
9. numbers 1,2,3,4, 6,7,8 most of them came off my donor 81 turbo car..
Im confused. Numbers of what???

quick question this 83 car has a Salvage title.. there is big chucks of Old mud underneath the car lets say some one before me drove the car into a lake..what would fry first ? this is just my opinion.. unless some one hear get free car faxes.com www.carfax.com ? i know pooflingmonkey knowsalot about wireing maybe he can shed more light onto this problem.. p.s. fairlady z i have been useing my OHM meter...
dude, your ohmmeter will tell you if your switch is bad or not

and the first thing to go would be the alternator cause it's the lowest electrical component in the engine bay.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:59 PM
Big Poppa

better change all the oil if its been under water
Old 06-29-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm a Registered User!

I have experience with driving a car/SUV into a lake and not just a little ways into the lake, full on. Water-locked engine, water filled interior and everything. I sank my Jimmy in a while back (Just the windows were visible). When it came out, it had no mud what-so-ever on it... you know cause it was under water and such. You wouldn't believe how many things don't fail. If your Z really did sink you'd have water in anything that is lubricated. (such as oil, transmition, bearings, differential, EVERYTHING!)
hell you're not going to read this anyways it's just a waste of time you haven't been listening to anyone's suggestions, you're just off doing your own thing. Props to you for that except you're getting NO WHERE FAST

:s-redeemer:
Old 06-30-2006, 01:59 PM

LOL......that is some intense drowning......and you're right about the startling amount of stuff that will be okay...................if you let it dry a bit before running it.

I bought a 1969 SS427 impala for 400 bucks back in 1980 that was pictured on the front page of the miami herald as it sat underwater. Some kid was paddling a canoe around it.

The 4 speaker stereo still worked and the only problems was getting rid of the water in the various sumps and what the water did because it stayed wet between the vinyl top and the roof metal.

Luckily, we went to monkey jungle where you can drive your car through the "zoo" like lion country safari in florida. The monkeys were nice enough to peel off my entire vinyl top.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:28 PM

To : SPiked i read everything every body wrote and yes even before Nismopick put up the facts about the alternator last night i put on a used good alternator.. so yes if the dam car did go fly into a lake and sit at the bottom on the lake.. i dont care, the car is mine now ,and im gonna do what ever it ****ing takes to get this ****ing car going .. so please with all the ****ed up words from u spike or any one else this **** has got to stop.. you guys!, im human too damit ! i do apologize for curseing.. i demand RESPECT too!!!! im trying my best.. i bought a new Ecu and new EFi harniess ... if that doesnt make a differance i will buy an engine bay harness.. please everybody i just need insight thats all no more bad words im serious !

P.s.s i will continue work on the 83 tomorow as i just got a raise at my job to asst manager making 8 dollars a hour.. and i need some time to rest...

by the way thanks to every one who has been trying to help me out hear " NismoPick, Poolinginmonke..shady 280 ... jafiarlady z... <-- sorry if i get on your nerves...
Old 06-30-2006, 05:03 PM
The Good Twin

Word slick. Your orig 280ZXT is still driving right?
Old 06-30-2006, 07:57 PM

yes my 82 280zxt still runs.. something happen to the fuel pump box thou when i tried to hook it up to the 83.. blew the negitive ? so i had toi hook up a new negitive wire to the fuel pump then to a ground... but yes my 82 still runs thank god..
Old 07-01-2006, 05:10 PM

nismo619, PM me your mailing address. I have something that I think will help you out a LOT. I'm not going to tell you what it is but it's free so don't ask any questions
Old 07-01-2006, 05:15 PM

You're gonna give him a six pack of beer?
Old 07-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Big Poppa

ooo, ooo, i know what it is, j is giving me one too!!! if he ever ships it!!! lol
Old 07-02-2006, 01:08 PM

Location: Houston Tx. Cleveland Tx. New Caney Tx. and every other Tx.
sounds like a swift kick in the *** ground services.
had a 79 2+2 that I boght for parts, I got every good part of that sun, and the car I took to the scrap yard. they smashed the hell out of it to. I have never seen a z more flat in my life.
It had the strangest rims I have ever seen. you know the kind that don't have any holes in them just lug holes. they were crome, but they looked uglyer than crap. there were some daytonas 500 tires on them as well but they had been burned to no tred whatso ever.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:16 PM

I refuse to ever let another z car go to the junk yard i have the title for this car.. thank god.. i will spend up to 500 dollars to get this car going and once i do.. i will let yall know i have been very busy ..
Old 07-04-2006, 04:41 PM

I just sent one to the junkyard a couple months ago. Of course it was only the rusted to hell shell that was put out of its missery.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:50 AM

j fairladyz i tried to send u a private messege but it said your inbox was full and that u needed to empty it to recive my messege.. jfairdyz " jason " please dont send me anything illegal that might get me into trouble.. i dont want to go back to jail
Old 07-07-2006, 06:06 PM

I have a problem and i need your guys thoughts on this i recived my ecu and wire harness today in the mail, but the box was opened and my items werent there there is little red stmaps all over hte box saying " recived in damanged condtion " i have made a complant to ebay and to pay pal.. i was thinking about calling the police also.. ebay item number 8077399986

Last edited by nismo619; 07-07-2006 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:48 PM
The Good Twin

I have a problem and i need your guys thoughts on this i recived my ecu and wire harness today in the mail, but the box was opened and my items werent there there is little red stmaps all over hte box saying " recived in damanged condtion " i have made a complant to ebay and to pay pal.. i was thinking about calling the police also.. ebay item number 8077399986
What was the shipping method? USPS? UPS? FedEx? They should be the one to contact. Don't get your hopes up tho... what arrived in the box, is usually all they found. Did you pay for shipping insurance?

Last edited by NismoPick; 07-07-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:00 AM

all i got in the box was two peaces of papaer i paid 16:97 for shipping and handling i expected insurence too but the guy didint put it on it.. i already made a claim threw USPS... and i have contacted the guy already...
Old 07-12-2006, 09:21 PM

Please Please just test the ignition switch, the haynes manual shoud have test procedures. on a NA car it would be easy to cheat power to the ignition system, but on the turbo I have no clue. since the switch seems to be the only obviously damaged part left, try to concentrate on that. buy or make a remote starter switch, just a couple alligator clips and wire and a momentary switch, leave the key in the on pos and try to start it that way. At the very least you will get a new tool out of it
Old 07-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Taste My Rainbow

Damn That Sucks Hope You Get Your Orderd Parts... Sounds Sorta Like Fraud To Me..
Old 07-12-2006, 09:52 PM
I'm a Registered User!

Yeah that blows about your stuff. After going to the post office today and seeing how long it took just to mail something, I hope that gets taken care of soon-ish.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:19 PM

Beware !!!!!!! the seller of thouse ebay items wont return my phone calls or refund my money or even resend me a new wire harness i have contacted his police department and told them whats going on .. they said they will look into it and file a report.. i have this funny feeling i just got robed on ebay...

Quick Reply: JUST BOUGHT ME a 1983 280zxt 2+2 5speed !