280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold start

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 07:14 PM
The Good Twin

ah man.... there's nothing left to say in this thread!
Old 09-29-2006, 07:16 PM
GTR
Badass Z Chick

did he fix his problem?
Old 09-29-2006, 07:32 PM
The Good Twin

<Eatmydust... please report back on the status of cold starting>
Old 09-29-2006, 08:18 PM

I just pooped
Old 09-29-2006, 09:15 PM

Location: Houston Tx. Cleveland Tx. New Caney Tx. and every other Tx.
well I just pooped to. ah no I havn't fixed the problem yet, I am going to go ahead and replace the air regulator, and do any one of you know were the vacume hose is suposed to get vacum?
also I don't think my car has that head temp sensor its a 79 canada model with no 02. my 1980 had that sensor.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:14 PM

If it doesnt have the head temp sensor then it will still have a water temp sensor in the thermostat housing that the ECU takes a signal from (the most likely case for an early Canadian model). It serves the same purpose as the head temp sensor, it just does it from a different, less accurate, location.

what vacuum hose are you refering to?
Old 09-30-2006, 09:26 PM
Big Poppa

ding ding ding, you are correct, its in the thermostat housing, no o2, no external head temp sens.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:45 AM

well I just can't figure out why it would dump soo much fuel, I mean when the car is cold aviously its going to dump a lot, seeing how the temp sensors will show high resistance. but why is it doing it to the point of flud? new tps, new afm, new cold air intake, new spark plugs, wires, and injectors, and even distributor. one new temp sensor for the dash gauge. it wouldn't make a diferance to the point of fluding I thoght if I just unpluged the temp sensors any way.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:47 AM

what I really need to know is where the vacume lines on the auxilary air regulator get there vacume, cause I don't have the lines hooked up.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by EatmyDust
well I just can't figure out why it would dump soo much fuel, I mean when the car is cold aviously its going to dump a lot, seeing how the temp sensors will show high resistance. but why is it doing it to the point of flud? new tps, new afm, new cold air intake, new spark plugs, wires, and injectors, and even distributor. one new temp sensor for the dash gauge. it wouldn't make a diferance to the point of fluding I thoght if I just unpluged the temp sensors any way.
The car isn't dumping any more fuel then its supposed to. Its just lacking the extra air to compensate for the fuel. When the engine is cold the ECU isn't taking any info from the O2 sensor so the ECU doesnt know wether the engine is actually running rich or lean. It's running off of presets based on throttle position, engine temp, and air temp. Thats it. So when the air regulator takes a crap in the closed position the ECU doesnt know any better and keeps the extra fuel coming thinking the air regulator is compensating with more air to even things out. This is why you should get a high idle while the car is cold. Once everything reaches operating temperature the ECu swithes modes and then takes into consideration things like a/f ratio as sent from the O2 sensor. At this point the air regulator should also be closed (which is why a failed air regulator wont affect the engine once its warmed up).

Last edited by jfairladyz; 10-01-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by EatmyDust
what I really need to know is where the vacume lines on the auxilary air regulator get there vacume, cause I don't have the lines hooked up.

the air regulator doesnt have any vacuum lines. There is an air inlet and outlet which is where the extra air to compensate for the extra fuel comes from (high idle). There are also two coolant lines. One to supply coolant to the air regulator and another to circulate it back to the engine (or wherever). Other than that there is only an electrical connector.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:19 PM

uh yea on back of the air regulator tward the bulk head there is a fitting screwd into the lowere part of it that has two niples on it for vacume lines. by the way my car is one without the 02. no 02 I repeat. so where do the two vacum hoses go. if you guys still don't know what I am talking about i will have to take a picture.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:22 PM

ok now I see the vacum lines are on the part that the air reg screws too, so were do they get there vacume from guys because I don't have them hooked up.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:32 PM

wait a minut if it closes when the car is hot, how come the new afm is fluding the engine when it is hot. it fills like the springs is way to light but it is the secound reman I hav got and it is the same.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:36 PM

ok I just tested my air regulator, and it is good. I found I had a bad conection to the head temp sensor, causing all the fluding, and put the new afm on, and now it runs good. thanx to all you z gooroo's for your suport.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:37 PM

meaning I fixed the conection
Old 10-01-2006, 07:48 PM

well now I have it runing like a freaking bat out of hell, and I took it for a test drive, and on the way back home from the test drive, the car started to run funy, and I heard a were poping like the valves came out of adjustment, so I let off the gas, and put the car in neutral and I have the loud valve train noise on number 5 or 6 like there is too much space between the cam and rocker. damnit why now? this is no suprise though because it happend at about 5000 rpm and the valves have never been adjusted since 1979. it is defenatly time.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:40 AM

and all this time I thought it was a cold start problem...well atleast you fixed it
Old 10-02-2006, 08:12 PM

yea thats cool that its fixed. well I took the valve cover off, and the exaust valve for num. 4 cylender was missing the lash pad, and the lash pad was siting by number 5 valve spring. I put it back together, and am readjusting the valves tomorow. now that I know what over reving dose on a head that has too much rocker to cam clearance I won't do it again. I am thanking my lucky stars the lash pad didn't make it to the front, and get loged in the timing chain. disasterous!