280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help...tips...anything?

Old 09-27-2006, 04:40 PM
Taste My Rainbow

Not to be a jerk or anything but try using the search function.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by gochnour44
The fuel pump starting buzzing at me one day then after we put fuel in it, it stopped working. Thanks
Did you change out fuel filter? If the tank was empty, it may have had corrosion or trash in it and the new fuel with the trash, clogged the pump, the lines or the fuel filter.
I'm no expert, but i would first :
1. Replace the fuel pump , you said it had quit.
2. Once the pump is replaced, remove the hose from the filter and have someone switch the key on to see if you are getting fuel to the back side of the filter. Once fuel is getting that far, put in a new filter and give it a shot. Do not try to bypass the fuel filter because you could push trash from the tank through the line and into your injectors.
You said you got it to start with quick start, so my guess is gas is not getting to the injectors.
If you are getting fuel to the filter, then maybe fuel pressure regulator, if not then you are over my head, but someone will know.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:54 AM

Location: Houston Tx. Cleveland Tx. New Caney Tx. and every other Tx.
honestly if you heard your fuel pump buzzing, that right there should tell you it was working too hard and on its way out the door. I do recomend testing for fuel up to the filter, then changing your filter if indeed you have good preasure, take your fuel line off, and shoot some flush under high preasure thrugh the lines, then blow it out with compresed air, then hook it all back up and try again.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:23 PM

I've been through 3 fuel pumps: stock na, stock turbo, and and aftermarket high flow pump. All 3 buzzed. None had ever failed. Fuel system in perfectly healthy condition. Stock one buzzed for three years from the first time I ever started it. I only replaced that one when I did my turbo swap. I then only swapped out the stock turbo pump cause I got a helluva deal on a high flow unit and had future plans to raise power levels. Buzzing doesnt really mean anything with these pumps.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:16 PM
Über User

the fuel pump on my 75 280 more like....ticks...haha...it doesnt buzz. it tick....semi quikly....but its definatly a tick....before you do that...directly hard wire poer to it and see if it makes noise agin....if so , then you might just have a bad connection or bad wire somewhere...something like that...jsut dont go and through a new fuel pump in that fast.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:47 AM

I agree...I've seen plenty of people just go out and buy a new pump cause they thought that was the problem and ended up wasting $100 or so.

Might be easier to just test for power to the pump though to determine if it's getting full power.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:09 PM

I also agree that first you should know that the pump is dead. If, after straight wiring, you find it is indeed dead then replace it and test from there, as my earlier post stated. You said it quit buzzing (mine is more like humming HMMMMMM haha), it could also be the relay in the engine compartment fender, behind a plastic plate by the battery. Once, on a previous car, it would shut off and come back on. Found out after a being stranded at an intersection several times, facing oncoming traffic, waiting for it to come back on ,that it was the relay in the fender. Mine will hum for about 5-7 seconds at startup and quit and as soon as the car starts, it will begin again. Every Z i have owned, hummed to some extent. It doesnt bother me, lets me know it is working. I cant hear it with the radio going (that is from being 47 and listening to KISS and other rock, as a teen, being played way too loud). From what i understand, there are 2-3 relays that control the fuel pump, but i dont know where they are. Let us know.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:57 PM

^ Yeah I guess humming would be a better way to describe the sound The only pump that bothered me was the high flow unit that was supposed to be "quite". It sounded like the pump was installed to the side of the headrest that thing was so loud.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Big Poppa

my high flow is the same way, they dont mount to rubber either, os they are very noisy, chev truck oem pumps humm like crazy, especially if the filter is cloged
Old 10-02-2006, 08:22 PM

Location: Houston Tx. Cleveland Tx. New Caney Tx. and every other Tx.
yea high flow pumps usally tend to be pretty loud. one rimedy for that would be droping off the muffler to dround out the buzz !!!
yea I see there was a little confusion about the buzz and hum thing back there but I think there is a distinct diferance between the two, like when somone says I have a leak oil,gas,power steering,etc. well if the vehicle can sit and run in one spot and never leav one drop on the ground period I don't give a rats **** if you see a wet spot on your engine I am going to tell you it's not a leack.