280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

83 Datsun 280zx - Temp switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 10:30 PM

83 Datsun 280zx - Temp switch

My temperature switch is acting wonky. I have the digital dash version of the 83 Datsun and I notice, that when my car sits for 8 hours, the temperature is half way upon starting the car which is absolutely impossible because that's about 190 degrees Fahrenheit or more.

So as the engine starts and warms up, it apparently uses that 190 degree mark as its '0' or starting point and warms up from there, and it just terrifies me seeing my engine temp max out.

Have others encountered issues with this temp switch on the engine? Is there any way to fix a temp switch without replaceing it? I've been hunting everywhere and the soonest they can deliver one is in a week for $24
Old 07-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

first you need to understand the difference between a switch an a sensor so at least you would be talking about the correct component. replace the sensor they are cheap.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by rogerz
first you need to understand the difference between a switch an a sensor so at least you would be talking about the correct component. replace the sensor they are cheap.
Are you sure? This is the device here

When I unplug this, the unit sends no data to my dash, its just blank. It can't be a temp sensor because if I run my vehicle too hard, the fan that sits on top the engine will kick on, and it always has done that when it gets too warm, it hasn't gotten that warm anymore since I did a complte flush in the cooling system, so temps have been lower.

So when I see my dash skyrocket to what looks like 250+ degrees, my fan never kicks on, nor is my coolant system bursting at the seams.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:21 PM

What's strange is that when I do a search for 'temperature sensor' and 'temperature switch' I get back similar results with two different parts.

Even when I headed to places like Autozone, they had a parts list and they were mixed under teh same name, some were switches, others were sensors when we would search for 'coolant sensor'

I know right where the thermostat resides, there are three electrical components, I guess which one does what? I know for a fact if I unplug the one mentioned on the previous post, the temperature display dissapears.

I guess I'm generally confused now...

Last edited by RETICON; 07-27-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:15 AM
GTR
Badass Z Chick

Temperature sending unit is just a sensor who's resistance changes based on temperature that your gauge displays. Temperature switch only has two modes, on and off, that is triggered when a set temp is hit and that usually controls the fan. It's also called a thermotime switch. The trigger temp is usually marked on it. Temperature sensor is usually what the ecu reads, and works just like the temp.sending unit, just varying its resistance based on temp but is used to help monitor fuel enrichment and cold start up. Temp sender usually just has one wire and grounds to housing. The sensor almost always has two wires, and the switch can go either way.

Last edited by GTR; 07-28-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by GTR
Temperature sending unit is just a sensor who's resistance changes based on temperature that your gauge displays. Temperature switch only has two modes, on and off, that is triggered when a set temp is hit and that usually controls the fan. It's also called a thermotime switch. The trigger temp is usually marked on it. Temperature sensor is usually what the ecu reads, and works just like the temp.sending unit, just varying its resistance based on temp but is used to help monitor fuel enrichment and cold start up. Temp sender usually just has one wire and grounds to housing. The sensor almost always has two wires, and the switch can go either way.
So then how can I test to see which one of these parts is faulty? There's three 'sensor' parts that go into the housing of the thermostat, which does what? and how can I test if one of those three parts is faulty?

In this pic here, could you tell me which of the upper three electronic components are what? I replaced the bottom of the 3 with a different 'sensor' and it didn't work, it just maxed out my temperature

Thanks guys, I have a big trip today and I want to make sure I find the source of this issue.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:40 PM
The Good Twin

Click: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx...sensors-36716/

And click: XenonS130 - S130 Reference

Originally Posted by NismoPick
There are 3 sensors...

#1: Water temp sensor for dash gauge
#2: Water temp switch for the aux fan
#3: Thermotime switch for the cold start valve (n/a only).

From the FSM (you should download it here: XenonS130 - S130 Reference if you haven't done so yet).

Old 07-28-2013, 08:14 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

pull a wire off what you think is the problem. ground it. the temp gage should pin out. it it doesn't you have the wrong component. try another one