280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'82 n/a Ignition Control Module issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 10:09 AM

Question '82 n/a Ignition Control Module issues

Hey all! Been a long time since I've been on here! That's mostly due to the fact that my Z has been running great for a while now!

Now, the issue at hand... Went for a quick drive earlier this week and had a great time. Got her back to the driveway and was letting the car idle for a bit before I turned her off and she just died out of nowhere. I started her up and in about 5 seconds she died again and would not restart after that.

I went through the basic diagnostics and came to the conclusion it was my Ignition Control Module.. I've replaced this part twice now, this time being the 3rd. Although the first time was my fault, I'm wondering if there is an underlying issue on why this keeps happening? Since the '82 n/a's don't have a ballast resistor is it possible that the ignition system is drawing too many amps and causing the ICM to short out over time? Or is it more likely due to crappy ICM's from the parts store?

Either way ICM's aren't really that cheap, so if there's any common things I could look for or check to prevent frying another one I would really appreciate the advice!
Old 07-31-2017, 01:13 PM
The Good Twin

Are you mounting it at the stock location? The usual culprit for a dead ignitor is overheating the unit... the turbo model uses a heatsink. Also check out the HEI alternative (much cheaper than a stock replacement). You could probably also use a PRW-2 like the turbo model, but I haven't done the wiring checks for the n/a.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the reply!

To answer your question, I am mounting it in the stock location on the side of the distributor, I even applied a small amount of thermal paste on the metal to metal contact plate between the ICM and distributor to assist with heat transfer.

Would you recommend mounting it in a different location or swapping to the PRW-2 to increase reliability?