280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding stereo head unit, in cassette cubby

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:53 AM

Adding stereo head unit, in cassette cubby

So im going to add a modern stereo head unit, to my car but I don't want to take out the cool looking old one and just make it black emptiness with a stereo in the center, so Im going to try and put it in that little cubby where the 8 track or cassette player would go, has anybody ever seen on there searches a stereo head unit that is more square then rectangular, around the shape of the cubby? I understand that a cd won't fit in it but I don't care
Old 01-26-2011, 08:15 AM
The Good Twin

Keep it simple... put the head unit in the glove box.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:53 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

^ +1 Keep the the newer stereo in the glove box. And your original where it is. I personally gave up, on keeping the stock stereo look. Besides, I never had a pristine stock stereo to begin with. So I decided to put a modern stereo in. I love the look, because my stereo's match my interior color themes, with the screen display, and button colors.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick

Keep it simple... put the head unit in the glove box.
Yeap that what I did . If you do that remember to get one with a remote and get an antena extender ( to use your stock antena cable)
Old 01-31-2011, 10:06 PM

nah, I like having the glove box space (for my gloves), I love that stereo, even though the tuning **** barely turns for some reason, and receptions isn't amazing. hmm, maybe i'll just use the radio as a radio and put a small amp in the space of that slot and wire it into that free connector that looks like midi, and switch between radio sound and ipod sound. It all seems so simple!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:59 PM
KJM

crutchfield offers a radio that is compatible with the stock face plate but it does require custom wiring, just an idea, i used to have an mail with a link but no more so just email them if you are interested
Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 PM

sadly, I junked the idea of doing this and just put an amp under the driver seat, hooked up an ipod cable to it and painstakingly put new 8" speakers where the old ones were, but still kept it looking stock, now i'm just waiting for an excuse to take off the dash and replace those speakers so I don't just have the back speakers playing music.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:04 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

I honestly don't miss the front speakers at all. They still are hooked to the talking lady. But I ran all new speaker wires for all 4 of my speakers. I have 2 8" ones behind the stock locations behind the seats. (which are the front channels) And 2 6 x 9's in a custom box, which was from MSA. (which are the rear channels.) Running a JVC CD with AM/FM, aux input, and a USB cable input, for my Ipod. Plus I have the buttons, screen, and displays, in a purple color.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

On Mine I was to lazy to pull the dash so removed the glove box and just replaced the speaker on the passenger side. Eventually tho I want to get some door mount speakers!
Old 02-22-2011, 02:31 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
On Mine I was to lazy to pull the dash so removed the glove box and just replaced the speaker on the passenger side. Eventually tho I want to get some door mount speakers!
You have the 2 + 2, so you would have the side speakers just behind the doors. Use those for your fronts, and then put a couple in the hatch area in the back, for your rears. And run all new speaker wire for all 4. That is if you have an aftermarket stereo. What are you running for a stereo? Anyway, you wont even miss the speakers in the front area. I don't notice they are gone.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Actually I have the same setup as Nismo lol I have the 2+0 panel and the side speakers. And I did run like that for a long time but I noticed that I didn't have any pitch to the notes just bass.

And I'm running a Sony! With a Rockfordfosgate amp and Pioneer speakers/sub lol
Old 02-23-2011, 09:05 PM

See I always thought I was tone deaf, but somehow I can tell that the sound quality isn't as good as it could be with just the side speakers in the back, I mean the windshield is perfect for reflecting those high pitch tones so im gonna switch out those speakers asap.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:16 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by mrprofile
See I always thought I was tone deaf, but somehow I can tell that the sound quality isn't as good as it could be with just the side speakers in the back, I mean the windshield is perfect for reflecting those high pitch tones so im gonna switch out those speakers asap.
I wish you luck on switching those out. That middle front one is a pain in the you know what. After replacing that speaker one time. I said never again. lol
Old 02-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Once you've pulled your dash so many times it doesn't bother you lol