240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

drum to disc conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 06:08 PM

drum to disc conversion

Just wanted to know what drum to disc conv. kits there are or does any one know if the front style calipers will work for this conv. with some work?
Old 08-25-2009, 08:48 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!!!

Clicky and open your pocketbook (or you can DIY): http://www.arizonazcar.com/rearz4luginstall.html

Old 08-25-2009, 09:57 PM

Thanx that helps, well I guess the work will begin.
There may be some more questions later.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:03 PM
This facepalm's for you!

AZ Zcar is some hot stuff, just way out of my price range

do at search threw the archives at HybridZ, I know its been covered there a few times at least
Old 08-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

240sx rear calipers with 280zx rotors...or you can make your own wilwood setup
Old 09-11-2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by 260zturbo
240sx rear calipers with 280zx rotors...or you can make your own wilwood setup
Would I need to change the struts also?

I have a 1973 240Z with a bad engine & a 1978 280Z parts car that I am planning to pull the engine & trany out of and drop in the 240, but I've never done it before and the 280 isn't running just yet, ithink the injectors are bad.
Runs on gas poured in the intake though....
Old 09-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Stupid Hurricanes...

why would you need to change struts? are yours shot if so replace but im sure your asking about strut tubes. if so then no you dont. rear rotor from a 280zx magically fits a rear hub on a s30 after all its drum brakes have been taken out. they are both 4 lug
Old 09-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

You do know MSA makes a bolt on kit for like $300-$600 right?

EDIT: Sorry more like $400 to $1000 http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PBC12
Old 09-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Taste My Rainbow

Check craigslist Las vegas a guy there makes the rear kits for $300 from what i remember
Old 09-28-2009, 03:44 PM

I'll throw in my $0.02. I used the Modern Motorsports kit(s) for both front and rear. The rear is the 300ZX rotor, 240SX caliper option: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-126/pics-modern-motorsport-rear-brake-kit-23640/
The front is also from M.M., going the 4-piston Toyota, vented rotors option. I also went with a ZX master cylinder and booster, as both my originals were shot. I don't remember if I put a thread up here about that or not.
I've had it out to two open lapping days at High Plains Raceway this year, and been extremely pleased with the performance. The brakes aren't the limiting factor. That would be me; I need to learn to drive on track better. And getting some stickier tires wouldn't hurt.
Standard Disclaimer On All Early Z Brake Discussions: The stock system, in clean and well maintained condition with all good parts will work extremely well even in more challenging conditions. That said, there are still some very good reasons to change it up, and about 30 different well known modifications (probably not much of an exaggeration). There're a bunch of discusssion in the archives here, and a giant sticky on hybridz.org, too. Anyway, I modded mine as above, and I love how it works.
cheers,
Dave
Old 09-28-2009, 07:43 PM
The Good Twin

^^^ Do you have any updated pics of your front brake setup? Are you using Z31 front rotors?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:09 PM
NisTuner

Dang that would be a nice setup. With a good set of tires and the front and rear 4-piston caliper conversion I bet your S30 would then have enough braking power to put you through the windshield.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
^^^ Do you have any updated pics of your front brake setup? Are you using Z31 front rotors?
I just checked, and I don't have any photos of the front. I'm going to bleed them after the 30 October track day anyway, so I'll take some then.
Yes, it does use the Z31 (300ZX) vented front rotor. It looks just like in the hybrid sticky, although I had to radius the calipers with the grinder to clear my wheels. I kept grinding one until it cleared and smoothed it out.
Then I went into the kitchen (it was like 21:00 or something) and made some homemade play-doh (seriously), made a mold of the new caliper profile, cut the mold in cross-section, and made a pattern template out of paperboard, and used it to grind the other caliper to match. Both got a coat of caliper paint in silver to keep the "customized" part from corroding. Different wheels wouldn't be such a PITA, but I still like them.
Couple things I really like about this setup: 1) I can keep my stock parking brake setup. 2) My brakes don't fade at all in a 30 minute track session. Wish I could say the same about me! 3) I don't have to bleed the brakes between track sessions to keep my brakes working properly.
I'll work on getting those pics.
cheers,
Dave
Old 09-28-2009, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by duowing
Dang that would be a nice setup. With a good set of tires and the front and rear 4-piston caliper conversion I bet your S30 would then have enough braking power to put you through the windshield.
Thanks! For me, I'm really happy with it. Note, just to clarify, the front is 4-piston vented (Toyota caliper, Z31 front vented rotor), the rear is 2 piston solid rotor (240 SX caliper, 300ZX solid rear rotor). With the 280ZX booster and master cylinder (the so-called 15/16" modification), I have plenty of brakes all session long.
In fact, one change I'm working on now is Schroth 3-point harnesses, because I'm tired of braking/steering pitching me around in my seat at the track. It's surprisingly tiring. I'd like them in by the last session in October, but we'll see. Projects have a way of determing their own timeline. Disclaimer: I am a total noob track driver, only having been out twice. The car is way better than I am. I need more practice. And some instruction wouldn't hurt, either. And stickier tires.
cheers,
Dave
Old 09-29-2009, 06:50 AM
The Good Twin

What brake pads are you using for the Toyota 4piston? Stock? Ceramic? Performance?

<working on a 4piston upgrade for my 280zx... gettin giddy!>
Old 09-29-2009, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
What brake pads are you using for the Toyota 4piston? Stock? Ceramic? Performance?

<working on a 4piston upgrade for my 280zx... gettin giddy!>
The KVR Sport Carbon Fiber, from MM. Honestly, I put them on because they came with the kit, and I figured they were at least not just some asbestos chunks lying on a shelf at Checker's or something. But, as it turns out, Ross has picked some really nice pads for that setup. They're a good all-around pad for my use, where I might be in town, at a car show, cruising the mountains, or at the track. We'll see about longevity.
You've got me thinking, I might just go ahead and pull the front wheels off to be sure I have enough pad left for one last track day before winter, and take those photos while I'm at it. Minimal work to do so, and the consequences of running out of brakes are suboptimal.
What's your time frame on your brake conversion? Is this an over-winter project, or going on now?
cheers,
Dave
Old 09-29-2009, 08:31 AM
NisTuner

I upgraded the front brakes on my 280Z to the Toyota 4-piston Calipers, unfortunately right after I finished putting them on I came across that HybridZ post showing that there was another slightly different later model of the 4-piston calipers so I could use the Z31 vented rotors... Somewhere down the line I'm probably going to use the Modern Motorsports rear disc conversion.

EDIT: After I started reading through that thread now I'm more annoyed, I see that there's a slightly more machined version of the calipers I'm using for the 300ZX vented rotors. So it'd be the same size as my 4-pistons I currently have, so it will still clear. Just a slightly larger inside. Right now I'm using my 4-piston calipers with my 15" Swastikas from my Turbo car with no issues.

Last edited by duowing; 09-29-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by duowing
I upgraded the front brakes on my 280Z to the Toyota 4-piston Calipers, unfortunately right after I finished putting them on I came across that HybridZ post showing that there was another slightly different later model of the 4-piston calipers so I could use the Z31 vented rotors... Somewhere down the line I'm probably going to use the Modern Motorsports rear disc conversion.

EDIT: After I started reading through that thread now I'm more annoyed, I see that there's a slightly more machined version of the calipers I'm using for the 300ZX vented rotors. So it'd be the same size as my 4-pistons I currently have, so it will still clear. Just a slightly larger inside. Right now I'm using my 4-piston calipers with my 15" Swastikas from my Turbo car with no issues.
Ugh, you have my sympathy. The brake options on S30s is a real can of worms once you start looking in to it. The only reason I knew there were a lot of options was because my brother had done exactly what you did, gone for the 4-piston-solid, and then found out. As a result I searched a bunch, and found the info on here, the sticky and FAQ on hybrid, and so on. Took a long time to sort out all the options and try to line them up with what I needed, wanted, what it would cost, how to install it, etc. Sounds so simple, but there really is a lot to consider.
Interesting it clears your 15" swastikas. I wonder if those wheels would clear my brakes? I bet I could get a set for not much money, and maybe get those stickier track tires I want...
I might even be able to trade the 14" "Dukes Of Hazard" type wheels my car originally had. Hmmm.
cheers,
Dave