240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

quick question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 10:27 PM

Rather have an evo??? just messin with ya. I like evos too. The new ones are pretty gnarly lookin. Still nothin like a subaru if you ask me. Next time your in WA State ill take you for a ride up in the woods. It's hard to appreciate one until you've been airborne in one.

here is a pic of a stock 04 STI trunk. Note the wrx and STI badges are there.

I used to have 2 CRX's. i called them rex's as well. my friend has an RX-7 that he calls his rex too. We've argued since forever who started it. Really doesnt matter.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Über User

well i just really like the 4G63 motor, but boxer style engines make great torque and have the most original sound. also my buddy has an 02? WRX i think they got a nice torquey feel nothing really done to it and ive then ridden in alot of DSM's no evo's though but i got a buddy with a evo that runs high 10's i'll have to get into some time
Old 11-13-2008, 07:45 AM

I like the Subaru's better because of that low end torque. Driving an EVO with basic mods every day kinda sucks because the lag takes away what little power they have down low. Leaving into traffic can suck. Much better in an STI cause their is power when you first take off. Way better DD IMHO.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:54 AM
Über User

lol, seen that demotivational pster before, it was only in the second gens though no evo or first gen had that problem they used a 7bolt flywheel design i believe and something about that setup just didnt work out.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:02 PM

yea i know. still funny though.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Über User

def true. so what was this thread about again? lol
Old 11-14-2008, 07:47 AM

haha it was just a quick question.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:49 PM

Well if anybody is still reading this i had little fuel pressure coming from the pump. It was enough to make a mess when i undid a line but not enough to keep it running. Now its just barely comin out and the car wont start. i undid the line at the pump after the dampener thing and still hardly any pressure at all. Strange thing is the pump looks fairly new, the dampener however doesnt, so im thinking it might be plugged or something.

There is a very small filter screen in the inlet port of the fuel pump. Often overlooked you have to pull the pump and remove the end cap to get it out. Hold it upright gently in a vise and mark the orientation of the parts cause it only works one way. If you can use a fuel pressure gage check to see if you have 36 psi to the fuel injector rail.
Im gonna check this as well since im gonna yank it out. It was getting dark and i was late for a barbeque so i stopped working on it. But im getting closer. I still would like to put a turbo engine in it, but i can't seem to find one around here for a decent price and this is a problem i'll have to solve anyways to get it running new engine or not.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Über User

fuel DAMPER also i didnt think the S30 had one. we got a regulator and filter thats it i believe. check for any clogage then i would say try a new pump or pressure regulator which ever you suspect most first. regulator is cheaper. also make a fuel pressure guage while your at it.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:44 AM

Ialready put a new pressure regulator in it. There is a weird thing attached to the side of the pump. The line comes out of the pump and then passes through it. That is what im talking about. Im pretty sure its a damper. Although i dont know what that is. Im just goin off of what the book says.

I did make a pressure guage. (I canabalized an old air tank i had layin around) Thats how i figured out i was getting very little pressure near the fuel rail. We ended up taking a plastic bottle and aiming the line into it, only a small amount came out. It was like this both at the fuel rail and right after the Damper.

Last edited by wr-ecks; 11-18-2008 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:35 AM

Yep, that's a damper. It helps keep a steady pressure in the line despite variations or vibrations in the fuel pump operation. It's stock on the '78, but I don't know if the L-jetronic system always had it. Snw, didn't you have an early EFI S30? Did it have a damper? Just wondering.

There's a check-valve that's part of the whole pump/damper assembly, too. Old gas and sitting without running can result in some degree of clogging or sticking of any of those parts. If you haven't already, drain out the old gas (orange colored! that's really not good). It'd be even better to drop the tank, swirl some good gas around in it and see if you get any debris or bad stuff coming out. Clean the pump intake screen and replace the fuel filter, even if it was just done before the car sat. That old gas will clog everything in the system, starting at the pump and moving forward, including eventually your injectors.

Also, buy a can of spray electrical contact cleaner (RadioShack or wherever), and unplug, clean, and reconnect all the EFI plugs in the engine bay. If you haven't replaced the injector plug clips, note that you can rewire the plugs with easy quick-disconnects from www.zcarparts.com (MSA), Black Dragon, Z Specialties, Pallnet and others.

Congratulations on adding a Z to your fine collection!
cheers,
Dave
Old 11-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Über User

yeah i had a 78 haha.... never had to screw with the pump on it though, prior to that i had a 74 with a turbo swap i did to it. i'll have to look at a pic and refresh my memory i though the damper wasnt introduced till the S130. but i could be wrong, i am alot lately haha.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:25 PM

There's a check-valve that's part of the whole pump/damper assembly, too. Old gas and sitting without running can result in some degree of clogging or sticking of any of those parts. If you haven't already, drain out the old gas (orange colored! that's really not good). It'd be even better to drop the tank, swirl some good gas around in it and see if you get any debris or bad stuff coming out. Clean the pump intake screen and replace the fuel filter, even if it was just done before the car sat. That old gas will clog everything in the system, starting at the pump and moving forward, including eventually your injectors.
Thats basically what ive been doin. Just in a weird order. Im gonna yank off the pump next chance i get and clean the intake screen and damper. But your probably right about yankin the gas tank off, i drained it but there is probably chunks of rust in there floating around. It looks pretty easy to take off too.

Also, buy a can of spray electrical contact cleaner (RadioShack or wherever), and unplug, clean, and reconnect all the EFI plugs in the engine bay. If you haven't replaced the injector plug clips, note that you can rewire the plugs with easy quick-disconnects from www.zcarparts.com (MSA), Black Dragon, Z Specialties, Pallnet and others.
ok ill look into that. No i havent replaced those clips yet, been procrastinating. Im gonna go to the junkyard here pretty soon for a few misc. body pieces so ill probably just yank the connector clips off of one there. Someone rewired the connectors and put new ones in already, i just think they were too lazy or something to put the clips in.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Über User

it is easy to drop the tank, just dont fudge it up. theres an access panel in the passenger side rear wheel well. take off that tire/rim and you'll see its help on by like 3 bolts or something small ones, take that off and you can see the vent lines and the filler tube. disconnect them, then disconnect the return and feed lines from the front of the tank near the fuel pump, plug the lines or fuel will leak out for a while till the lines/fuel rail drain. or drain them i guess into a bucket its messy though. then take off on nut from on strap then the same on the other side teh tank will fall right down then you need to get the sender unplugged. easy job just messy.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:04 PM

I have a question? I have a 1974 datsun 260z with a 2001 ls6 out of a pontiac firehawk with a six speed manual. It has 500 RWH. I have a nissan 300 TT rear end that I would like to put in it. Does anyone, know where I can get some info, on how to go about doing this. If so please send me an e-mail to zerotrust@comcast.net. I have been doing this project on my own for about the last 3 months.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:27 PM
The Good Twin

^^^ email sent.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:38 PM

So the damper seems to flow just fine. Can blow through it easily. I took the fuel pump and hooked it to a battery and tried to flow some water out of a bucket but it wouldnt do it. Very very little came out. I think i need a pump cause this one is either clogged or shot.

I couldnt see what intake screen you guys were talking about, maybe you could be more specific?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Über User

just replace it. its not uncommon for these pumps to go out. thats what i would do screw fiddling with all that crap just get a shiny new pump in there.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:16 PM

Is the intake screen thingy part of the pump?? I didnt see it.
Im gonna put a new gas tank, pump and filter in and i dont want to miss anything.