240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 04:23 PM

Exclamation Problem!

Ok guys long story short. I have a 78 280Z and i blew the engine going 135... yes believe it or not. but whateverso i swapped in an N45 engine off a 82 280ZX. now... the PROBLEM is... that its running "OK" BUT.... its throwing skoke . everyone can tell me its Bruning oil... thats 98% shure. BUT i don't knoe what is wrong with it.... it has NO power. like itl get off the line but there is NO TORQUE. like i dont know how to describe it. it takes off and im reving and reving and it whont go past 3,200 RPM's, That and i can't go past 90 MPH. its riduculus since my old engine could hit 110 With the quickness and so much laungh that i felt like my neck would break. (STOCK) and this one. "according to my studying about l28's. The 280Zx engine should have more ***** and horses than my previous engine, and its like the opposite. I'd like to know what is wrong with it since it's burnign oil and it has no power

Any help would be apreshiated THANKS
Old 03-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Doesn't post much...

98% sure it's oil huh?

Sounds to me like it is more likely to be fuel.

Could be timing... could be lot's of things, but my money is on overfueling due to an error in installation somehow... Did you put the ECU from the 280ZX and all the sensors in your car as well?

Rod.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:48 PM
The Good Twin

What color is the smoke? Sounds like it needs to be tuned properly.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:51 PM

Ok well the FYI it's a BITCH to turn on the car, meaning i turn the key and the starter does it job goign at it.. and i give it gas (as if it were carburated :P ) and it goes and goeas. but it doesnt turn on AS IT SHOULD like it takes a while for it to turn on. and Well the smoke appears to be sorta BLUEish. and yeah its the color burning oil produces i kno that for a fact.. problem is WHY! its burning oil ?.... and well i did'nt swap the engine the mechaninc did.. the PROblem is that my dad told the mechanic sorta to put everything form the previous engine. so theres a slight posibility that the ECU might be from the OLD 78 engine and not from the new engine.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:54 PM

Ok well the FYI it's a BITCH to turn on the car, meaning i turn the key and the starter does it job goign at it.. and i give it gas (as if it were carburated :P ) and it goes and goeas. but it doesnt turn on AS IT SHOULD like it takes a while for it to turn on. and Well the smoke appears to be sorta BLUEish. and yeah its the color burning oil produces i kno that for a fact.. problem is WHY! its burning oil ?.... and well i did'nt swap the engine the mechaninc did.. the PROblem is that my dad told the mechanic sorta to put everything form the previous engine. so theres a slight posibility that the ECU might be from the OLD 78 engine and not from the new engine. ALSO The mechanic told me recently that the engine was getting TOO much gas. idk why something about the injectors being bad or overflooding. Cuz. the sparks sorta have oil when i checked them. soooo idk
Old 03-10-2006, 04:55 PM
The Good Twin

is the oil level dropping fast? is the oil really dirty already?

It might burn a lot of oil, but it should still be able to rev up & perform ok. I'd check all your sensors... Adjust the AFM, make sure the O2 sensor is connected... speaking of which, are you using the 82 wiring & ecu?

Also... check all your spark plugs.... if one looks diff than the rest, you can narrow the prob to that cylinder.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Doesn't post much...

Well, if you guys PAID a MECHANIC to do the swap... Perhaps you should ask him WTF? I wouldn't dick with it until he rechecked his own work if it were me...

Rod.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:57 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
Well, if you guys PAID a MECHANIC to do the swap... Perhaps you should ask him WTF? I wouldn't dick with it until he rechecked his own work if it were me...

Rod.
true that... you paid for a running car, make the bitch fix it.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:40 PM

hmm well my dad bought the engine while i was at school and pretty much just told the mechanic to " put it on" .... as in... change it. so i guess the mechanic did'nt make shure the engine was good or not. But ok. i think Two sparkplugs have some sorta oil on them. and the engine level does'nt drop fast fast... but.. i mean .... the oil DOES get BURNED. i mean.. a freakin clowd of smoke coems out of the back.. it sorta looks NASTY coming from MY car so i stped using it until i get the problem fixed. i know for shure its a fuel problem. my cousing suggested that it might need ringing or valve stem gasket or somehting like that according to my cousing who owns a 240Z. So ok review:

1) no power
2) burns oil
3) some sparks have oil
4) i can't go past 90 as if it had some crazy as rev limiter. ( even if im FLOORING IT)
5) it whont rev PAST 3,200 rpm
Old 03-23-2006, 05:54 PM

why do you need to go past 90? maybe you would stil have your old engine if you blow it going 135. Take care of your engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn kids,
Old 03-23-2006, 05:58 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Keithscianna
why do you need to go past 90? maybe you would stil have your old engine if you blow it going 135. Take care of your engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn kids,
well... I guess... uh... Welcome to ZDriver Keith. So are you saying any car (or 280zx) that goes 90+... the engine blows up?
Old 03-23-2006, 06:00 PM

no not 90 + but why 135? there is no point unless on the track.