280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yay new problem for me!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 09:21 PM

Yay new problem for me!

So, after buffing the rest of the hood and the roof. I realize I have plenty of food but, no drinks so I decide to go to wal-mart. I get out of the driveway and realize the car doesn't sound right, immediately recognizing what the sound means. Im running on five cylinders and I have absolutely no idea why. I have new spark plugs, spark plug wires, cap & rotor (not that would be the issue anyhow). I jiggled all of the injector wires and they felt in place. I overlooked all vacuum hook ups and all electrical connections and all seemed fine. Earlier I messed with the tps connector and the afm connector to check for condition of the clips but, I put them both back on fine and double checked this.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:29 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay you said you jiggled the injector wires? Have you tried to take one off at a time, to see if the car drops rpm's? And idles more roughly? (it should be like night and day) Also do you have a noid light? Those are great on checking injectors.

I can't think of anything else right now. I am kind of braindead, and I need to get to bed. Hopefully that will help you out somewhat. And I am sure other people here, will give you some more tech tips.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:46 AM
NisTuner

This happened to me once. The problem was that I had been working under the hood I had kinda bumped the wires. One of the spark plug wires wasn't connected to the distributor cap all the way. Pull your plug wires off your plugs and cap, and reconnect them to make sure they're all well seated.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:30 AM

YES! THANK YOU BLEACH AND WILDMAN!!!! I went out there this morning first thing. I pulled out all of the spark plugs and kept them in order. I used a wire brush to clean their threads, and the top, then I used 800 grit wetordry sandpaper to get the electrode. After that I wiped them with a dry towel and put them back in the same order they came out. I did however see some unsettling things, I could kind of see the top of some pistons and they looked to be covered in some crud, I took a screwdriver and scraped some off and sure enough it was some oily black sludge looking stuff a thin layer covering the top of the pistons. Im not sure what caused this though because when the car was apart earlier this year we cleaned the tops of the pistons. I run mobil 1 10w40 oil, 87 octane fuel, I guess this could've happened when the timing was way off and the car was running pig rich.

Anyways, I started the car and it was still running on five cylinders, so I did what wildman and bleach told me to do, I started pulling off injector wires starting with cylinder #6. #6 dies down even more, #5 dies down but not as bad, #4 dies down real bad, then on the #3 cylinder, no difference. I jiggle it around but nothing happens. So I pull the clip off clean it with a wire brush and put some dielectric grease in there. BAM WORKS! WOO HOO

Only problem is that my injector clips are falling apart really bad, do we have any options on this or do I have to go to the junkyard and get some more to splice and dice?
Old 09-02-2006, 08:31 AM

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!!! I'd be screwed 24/7 if it weren't for this site.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:49 AM
NisTuner

on my non-turbo, the clips were falling apart, but this wasn't a big deal. I still ran the car with the clips connected as they were.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by HybridS130
Only problem is that my injector clips are falling apart really bad, do we have any options on this or do I have to go to the junkyard and get some more to splice and dice?
You can buy new injector clips at almost any parts store. I higly recommend replacing all of them anyway on these cars. After 25 years or so they get a little brittle

The price will vary from store to store so shop around. You should find them priced between 4-8 bucks each. Also, while you're at it... replace the ones for the Cold Start Valve and all of the other things that use that same style connector. It is worth it it!

By the way, they are known as a "Bosch type" connector. Make sure that's what you ask for.

Rod.

P.S.

Beet ya J!!!!!
Old 09-02-2006, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by HybridS130
Brand new connectors are all over ebay. I picked up a set of 6 for something like $2.00 a peice.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:24 AM
The Good Twin

I gots me a GM V6 "quick release" injector connector setup. $6 from the j yard.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:47 AM
NisTuner

Those would be pretty handy to have, rather than trying to pick off that stupid piece of metal.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:31 PM

Sweet, that's great to hear. Either way I just have to splice and dice right? My roommate said he could probably get me a set of six for free, I dunno if through car connections or navy connections either way he said they're pretty much all the same.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:37 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Right on man, makes me feel good, that it helped you out. As for the injector clips, I invested in the quick release from Motorsport Auto. Here is the direct link to them. A little pricey, but to me they were well worth it. Check it out
http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/SFC03J/11-3059
Old 09-02-2006, 04:25 PM

I guess that's not too much to pay for quality.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:39 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

No they are great man. I am really glad I bought them. I thought at first, that they were pricey. But the quality of them is superb. And all you do is splice the wires, and use connectors, and you are good to go. Or you can solder them if you like. Either way they make it a lot easier to mess with the injectors, and the other parts, with the same kind of plug ends on them. I still eventually want to get a few more to replace my cold start valve, water temp sensor etc.. Anyway yeah save your pennies, well worth the price.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:42 PM

DaN NismoPick he always finds the kool **** ! I want me a set of quick relese fuel injectors connecters.. im soo tired of driving around then my car looses power then i have to open the hood in public and wiggle the broken cracked.. old fuel clips.. Hey Nismo pick... 2 qeustions.. what model walbro fuel pump is the right upgrade for the 280zxt ? i found alot of ebay... and also what year make and model did u get thouse injectors clips off of ?
Old 09-02-2006, 05:50 PM

http://shopping.lightningmotorsports...&cat=12&page=1

the 255lph is good if you want to up the performance on your turbo motor and still get enough fuel.

any volvo should have those quick release clips. Thats what I was sourcing them off of.

Last edited by jfairladyz; 09-02-2006 at 05:53 PM.