240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Camshaft/timing chain installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 01:16 PM

Camshaft/timing chain installation

I am installing the cam on my L28, and forgot the Procedure.

My engine is at #1 TDC, and the pully mark at 0 degrees, then I know that I am supposed to count the links between the timing marks on both top and bottom gears, BUT,

I don't want to have to take off the timing cover, so, In your experience, when the engine is at #1 TDC, is the number 2 timing mark on the camshaft gear straight up, or off to the left (if so, by how many links, or teeth)???

When I took it apart, the top hole in the cam gear was almost straight up( it was a little off Counter Clock Wise), and the top (#2) timing mark was to the left of that, but I don't know if it was installed correctly. It seemed like my cam timing was slight retarded, and I did't get any high rpm power. Also, the distributor timing didn't seem to cure the problem.

I wish I had a PICTURE of the Cam Gear and Chain position when the engine is at Exactly #1 TDC, that way I wouldn't have to mess with the front timing cover. CAN ANYONE SUPPLY ME WITH THIS PICTURE FROM YOUR CAR?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by zrace
I am installing the cam on my L28, and forgot the Procedure.

My engine is at #1 TDC, and the pully mark at 0 degrees, then I know that I am supposed to count the links between the timing marks on both top and bottom gears, BUT,

I don't want to have to take off the timing cover, so, In your experience, when the engine is at #1 TDC, is the number 2 timing mark on the camshaft gear straight up, or off to the left (if so, by how many links, or teeth)???

When I took it apart, the top hole in the cam gear was almost straight up( it was a little off Counter Clock Wise), and the top (#2) timing mark was to the left of that, but I don't know if it was installed correctly. It seemed like my cam timing was slight retarded, and I did't get any high rpm power. Also, the distributor timing didn't seem to cure the problem.

I wish I had a PICTURE of the Cam Gear and Chain position when the engine is at Exactly #1 TDC, that way I wouldn't have to mess with the front timing cover. CAN ANYONE SUPPLY ME WITH THIS PICTURE FROM YOUR CAR?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
i believe there is 42 chains links in between top and bottom timing marks
Old 02-19-2006, 12:52 PM

z cam / TDC setup

I'm in the same boat. I just swapped my head out and this is how I lined up my cam / lower end.

I had my front cover off, so I could see the mark on my crank gear. I brought the #1 piston up to TDC (top of the piston was all the way up - could feel it with a screwdriver through the #1 plug hole). This left the timing mark on the crank gear at around the 2 oclock position (as I looked at it from the front of the car).

On the top half, I turned the cam so that the notch in the gear was lined up with the oblong hole in the cam sprocket. This left the mark on the timing chain gear with the #1 on it and the crank gear mark mentioned above with 42 timing links between them. It also left the #1 cam lobe in the 1 oclock position and the #2 cam lobe in the 11 oclock position.

The distributor rotor cap should be left pointing to the #1 spark plug wire.

I think that is correct, but I am still having problems getting the car to crank up. I'm thinking my problems are attributed to the carbs, because I can get it to crank up with starting fluid. If anything above is incorrect, ya'll let me know.