280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do i get my timing chain on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 07:34 PM

how do i get my timing chain on?

i cant get the timing chain on. It is almost on the cam then, it stops no more slack. I have tried everything......please help

Once the timing chain is on how do i set proper time?
Old 10-09-2005, 07:42 PM
The Good Twin

bro... seriously now, ya gotta get a service manual. We're always glad to help out, but 99% of your questions can be answered by looking it up in a Haynes repair manual.

So to help w/ you prob... Do you have the timing cover off? If not, and you've let the chain have slack, it popped out the oil tensioner & you gotta take off the timing cover to get to it. If the cover is off... it's simple. Hold the tensioner w/ your thumb, while feeding the chain back on the cam sprocket. comprendes?
Old 10-09-2005, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
bro... seriously now, ya gotta get a service manual. We're always glad to help out, but 99% of your questions can be answered by looking it up in a Haynes repair manual.

So to help w/ you prob... Do you have the timing cover off? If not, and you've let the chain have slack, it popped out the oil tensioner & you gotta take off the timing cover to get to it. If the cover is off... it's simple. Hold the tensioner w/ your thumb, while feeding the chain back on the cam sprocket. comprendes?

i took a plate off but i saw no tensioner. Im really stressed. AND BROKE. i dont have money for a book. I am sorry i lost my job recently so any help is appreciated.
( i bought this 280zx TURBO already taken apart, i never worked on it b4)

I got another Q? What is the wire coming from the bottom of the distributor?
Its like a plug or something. I didnt take it apart so i have NO CLUE where it goes.
Where does it plug into? PICTURES WOULD BE AWESOME!!!! if someone gives me pics of there 280zx when i start my job next week i will paypal 50$ or so to them. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2005, 08:09 PM
The Good Twin

What "plate" are you talking about? You need to be able to see the WHOLE timing chain. If you don't see it all... take off the aluminum cover.

As for the wire... there are several wires going to the distributor... could u be more specific & tell the color, or at least what the plug looks like.

I'd take pics of my setup, but it's a turbo

EDIT... wait... by looking at your name... Is yours a turbo? (just want to make sure)
Old 10-09-2005, 08:21 PM

yes mines a tubo. I traded a GOcart for this unfinished project. Everything for the most part is here. (water pump and head i had to replace)

I dont even know where to start to see the timing chain. Can you explain more?

by the sound of you typing "what plate did you remove" im guessing i shouldnt have removed it. LOL its the plate directly under the cam gear. I see a big *** plug when i look through it.
What does the tensioner look like?

Thanks your your help by the way. You ROCK
Old 10-09-2005, 08:25 PM

ok with out the distb. cap on, there is ONE black wire that looks to be insulated. Its coming out of the bottom side closeset to the head. Has a plug on the end with i think 4 prongs. wire is only about 8 inches long. Looks like it may be carrying power.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:35 PM
The Good Twin

here is a pic of the chain w/ out the timing cover on... this is what you should be seeing. The tensioner in the pic (hard to see) is right below where the hood bars (primer gray) criss cross. It's a steel block w/ a hard rubber piece sticking out to tension the chain.

Now... the round connector on the distributor should connect to the same style connector, from the fuel injector wiring harness.
Attached Thumbnails how do i get my timing chain on?-dsc05428.jpg  
Old 10-09-2005, 08:58 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

I suspect you pulled off the little 2" x 4" inspection plate. Unfortunately, the front cover is considerably more involved.

The oil chain tensioner is spring loaded and requires the chain tensioned to keep it in place.

If the chain goes slack or is otherwise dislodged, it will allow the tensioner to pop out of it's seat necessitating the removal of the front cover.

You'll have to pull the water pump and you will probably need to drop the oil pan as well.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:07 PM

MOTHER FUDGER do i really have to drop the oil pan? I want to avoid that in my driveway. LOL
Old 10-09-2005, 09:09 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by 280zExTURBO
MOTHER FUDGER do i really have to drop the oil pan? I want to avoid that in my driveway. LOL
if the head is back on... yeah. You might be able to loosen the oil pan enough to get it off & on... otherwise you're in for a nice project
Old 10-09-2005, 09:23 PM

what do you mean if the head is back on? I dont get why the oil pan need to be off. When i take the oil pan off do i need to buy a gasket or can i use liquid gasket?
Old 10-09-2005, 09:25 PM

So, the chain is almost reaching the cam shaft yet, i need to take apart the pan and front plate. I dont see why if i can reach the tensioner with the plate off. What is taking the pan off going to do?

MAN i might as well build a stroker...lol...hey do you have AIM? I am X2yroldmilkX it would be easier talking on there.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:26 PM
The Good Twin

lol... you'll find out when ya take off & try to put back on the timing cover. Lets just say "it's a tight fit." Normally, you put the head on, next the timing cover, then the oil pan... or oil pan, timing cover, head. Either way, the timing cover needs to be put on, before the head or oil pan.

If you are careful w/ the oil pan gasket, you should be ok.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:27 PM
The Good Twin

So, the chain is almost reaching the cam shaft yet, i need to take apart the pan and front plate. I dont see why if i can reach the tensioner with the plate off. What is taking the pan off going to do?

MAN i might as well build a stroker...lol...hey do you have AIM? I am X2yroldmilkX it would be easier talking on there.
you can't see the tensioner from that plate. Like I said before, you have to take off the whole timing cover (look at the pic again).
Old 10-09-2005, 09:35 PM

how do i put in time when im done with all this? DOES THE OIL pan have to come off? GOD...lol i want to avoid it cause ill have to get wheel ramps and make a mess.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:38 PM
The Good Twin

DOES THE OIL pan have to come off?

no... we here at Zdriver just like to make those that are new to Z's... put in an extra 10 - 20 hours of un-needed labor. you know... to "break em in."
Old 10-09-2005, 09:41 PM

im serious... lol do i have to take the pan off?
Old 10-09-2005, 09:48 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

No, he's not kidding. It's been said 3 times now. You'll have to pull off the pan in order to pull the front cover and the front cover isn't that little 2" x 4" inspection plate. It's the whole freakin' cover.

You MAY be able to only drop the front of the pan a little and if you're careful and don't damage the gasket, you can re-use it.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:51 PM
NisTuner

Assume you just go in to do routine maintenance, such as changing the timing belt yourself. You go through and make sure to get the cover off, will the oil pan still need to be dropped even if you haven't relieved tension on the oil tensioner?

I've ordered my Haynes guide from ebay. This may have not been the best idea because I still haven't recieved it.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:54 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by duowing
Assume you just go in to do routine maintenance, such as changing the timing belt yourself. You go through and make sure to get the cover off, will the oil pan still need to be dropped even if you haven't relieved tension on the oil tensioner?

I've ordered my Haynes guide from ebay. This may have not been the best idea because I still haven't recieved it.

there is no "timing belt." just the chain, which unless it breaks or gets a lot of slack, doesn't need to be "serviced."

If ya gotta take off the cam gear, shove a good piece of wood between the chain so it won't slip & loosen the tensioner.

Don't you have a Checker, AutoZone, Napa, or Pepboys near by? They all should carry repair manuals... for $10 - $15.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:58 PM

dammit! whats involved in taking the pan off? anything special?

When i get the pan off im looking to do what? Find the tensioner or re-attache the chain to something? Will i know what to do without reading it out of a book?
Old 10-09-2005, 10:05 PM
The Good Twin

dammit! whats involved in taking the pan off? anything special?

When i get the pan off im looking to do what? Find the tensioner or re-attache the chain to something? Will i know what to do without reading it out of a book?

uh hum <clearing throat for the last time tonight>

I think you might be able to figure it out when ya get under there... if not, you should get rid of the car
Old 10-09-2005, 10:17 PM

haha. I really want to fix something for myself for once. I would hate to put it in the shop.

hmmm i might have to fond out your number tomorrow to call you if i get stuck or if the cars on top of me. LOL
Old 10-09-2005, 10:19 PM

wait... i think i get it...The oil pan is just preventing the front cover from coming loos. it has nothing to do with the actual project of getting to the tensionar. Its just something in the way.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:21 PM

can you take some pics of random vac lines,fuel and right side electrical system...lol i need some good pics to go by when i re wire and attach all this. Im a visual learner. I failed in school....lol

Quick Reply: how do i get my timing chain on?