Upstate Z Club The Upstate Z Club is located in the Upstate of South Carolina and has members in Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson, SC.

A Broke Down Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:59 AM

A Broke Down Z

Hello all. I have just joined this forum today and its something i have been meaning to do for awhile. I have a 1977 280z that has gave me fits from the day i got it. The previous owner did a remarkable job of keeping the body intact, but he destroyed the fuel injection harness. Its a chopped up mess. I have put in a number of hours trying to get this car to run again and have had four mechanics look at it. At this point i have almost given up hope. What i need is a mechanic, preferably near the Spartanburg area where i live, who knows a lot about these cars and can handle the frustration of an electrical problem. I have a parts car (my mothers rusted '76) if that is any help. I would appreciate it if you guys could help me. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by DavidMulligan
Hello all. I have just joined this forum today and its something i have been meaning to do for awhile. I have a 1977 280z that has gave me fits from the day i got it. The previous owner did a remarkable job of keeping the body intact, but he destroyed the fuel injection harness. Its a chopped up mess. I have put in a number of hours trying to get this car to run again and have had four mechanics look at it. At this point i have almost given up hope. What i need is a mechanic, preferably near the Spartanburg area where i live, who knows a lot about these cars and can handle the frustration of an electrical problem. I have a parts car (my mothers rusted '76) if that is any help. I would appreciate it if you guys could help me. Thanks.
Couldn't you just completely swap harnesses?
Old 12-10-2012, 03:26 PM

That may be a good solution, But i would like to make sure that every component that deals with the FI is working before I yank out my wiring. I forgot to explain how the car got in this condition. when i first got it, it ran really rough. it fouled out spark plugs at nothing and i wound up going through four sets from then till this point, trying different models from NGK. the ones that were on it were not the recommended ones. anyway, I found that the timing was way off and after adjusting that it ran decent. still fouled spark plugs, but at a slower rate. it was drivable. i drove it for a while and after about a month and some change (I drove it on and off), it started back. it got bad enough that i just parked it until i had time to work on it. i let a week or so go by and the starter died. i replaced it and after that it would crank all day, but wouldn't hit a lick. and that's when the fun started. apparently the Injectors aren't getting a pulse, which i have found could involve a whole ton of things under the dash and hood. I wouldn't think that anything i did with the starter would lead to injectors not firing, but with Nissan's convoluted wiring, i wouldn't be surprised. so yes, changing the harness came to mind, but before that i would like to make sure that's the problem. it ran on this harness before, and if it ain't broke i don't want to replace it. But thank you for the suggestion.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:25 PM
East Coast Style

Hello David, I live in Spartanburg and can help you out. I will send you my cell number in a PM.