The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

Where are all these morons coming from?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ratfink
Meh... I can make my car faster than a 350Z with less total invested money. They look faster than they are.
For less than $28,510...yeah I would hope so. You can buy a GM crate small block for far less than that and sure it would make the car faster than a 350Z...in a straight line, but it would not make it perform better than a 350Z. That would require a much higher investment than just slapping in a V8.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by 260zturbo
or just buy legit things for you z and stop being a cheap ***. back in the day the z was a a modern sports car. might of been a poor mans sports car but it does the job. still does the job compared to cars today.

Is that directed at me? If so, it has nothing to do with buying "legit" things or being a "cheap ***". My point is people with money tend to buy cars that are already fast, people with little money to spare can afford a 240-280Z/ZX and then think it will not cost alot to do all these things like building a 400hp Turbo ZX or building a 300+hp 3.1L stroker or a combo of the two. I never said the Z cars weren't good cars, I would not have owned 3 of them if they weren't. Also, my parents don't buy me anything I want...I am grown and if I want something I have to work for it. Besides a full fledged race car is not practical for daily driving.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

was not directed to you. im glad your grown and buy your own things. cant say the same for some people on this board. alot of the people who buy these cars work on them themselves or attempt to. people who buy expensive cars not always work on their cars. when was the last time you saw owner go under 50k car to do a oil change?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Political n00b crusher

Originally Posted by thxone
Warning, the following is laced with sarcasm:

People posting "suggestions" and "solutions" are almost as bad as people who buy 24+ year old cars and expect that they can make them perform like modern sports cars with little to no money invested. Or people who buy 24+ year old cars and think they are going to completely restore these cars and do lavish engine swaps in them. 98% of Z and ZX N/A owners are not going to do much of anything to their Z's. It is just a fact of life, but these things are fun to wish for. I would say that 90% of L28ET owners will never put down more than 200hp to the wheels and that may be a stretch in itself. The majority of Z and ZX drivers are at best going to get their Z's to at least run well enough to be reliable daily drivers again.

I have had 2 N/A's ('79 5-speed and an '82 auto) and 1 L28ET ('82 5-speed). I had high hopes and big dreams for them...never happened. I got my L28ET to a max of 10lbs of boost and it was fun...I spent like $30 to do it with a cheap MBC, a 1" threaded plug for the intake and a inexpensive BOV. It worked but anything beyond that would be big $$. I got my '82 N/A auto tuned well enough that it would pull steady and hard all the way to the redline with no hiccups at all and I could roast my left rear tire on command. Was it fast? No.

I would like to say that if anyone wants to do anything to a 280ZX N/A, make it run like it did when new...then you will have a fun car with marginal performance, enough to make you smile, and you will have a car that gets great gas mileage. If you can make it look good with body kits, wings and wheels, go for it...but it will never be a "fast modern sports car" unless you are filthy rich and have nothing better to spend your money on. Think I won't get another ZX? I sure will, most likely a L28E 5-speed...I know what they can be and I know what they can't be so this time my dreams won't be a factor...250hp N/A? no way. 26-30mpg and still be able to spin 1st, 2nd with a chirp in third and be able to out do many cars in the turns...no problem. However, there is one way for sure to make a Z perform like a modern sports car...it's called a 350Z!
This post may be "laced with sarcasm" but makes perfect sense! My 240Z will never out accelerate or out handle my 350Z......I just bought her because she's sexy!! (and fun to drive....for a 150hp, 35 yo car....)
Old 11-20-2008, 12:05 PM
The Evil Twin

when was the last time you saw owner go under 50k car to do a oil change?
right, but that is because his time is worth more than $75. You can get a synthetic oil change with the best filter for that much. People with cars like that relax in their off time and then enjoy driving the car.

as for me, I have my personal assistant fly my 350Z in a private cargo plane to Jiffy Lube and back.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Hoov for Pres!

If you're lucky enough to get the good synthetic even when you ask. I don't trust other people with my car.

For $28k, I can make my car out handle a new Z too. Much less I would guess. But, that is with me doing all the fab work. I will make my car into something. With more than 350hp. But, I know it's rare.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Pr0n Addict

considering my car cost me 4k, with 28k total, i could probably push 650, well handling, reliable horsepower to the wheels. 28k makes one beast old car.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:46 PM

Hopefully the next '82 or '83 I find will be in better shape than the last 3 I had. I am hoping that if I am able to find a 5-speed that it is a well maintained, stock car with minimal rust for a decent price. The less money I have to put into it to have it running right, the better...it will make suspension upgrading easier. If I could find a N/A and make it handle like hermultra's Turbo, I will be the happiest ZDriver out there. When he let me drive his car I was floored at how well it handled...NO BODY ROLL and also, a flowmaster makes it sound EVIL...in a good way.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Über User

when was the last time you saw owner go under 50k car to do a oil change?
your really want me to answer that? now if it was a 15-30k car option i would agree. but most people i know at least dont trust simple dipsh!t shops with their 50k investment and will take the time of day to change their own oil. but maybe thats only because i know proper car owners. lol.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:31 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Good point thx. I am one of those few Z owners. That proudly works on and maintains it when needed. I am totally happy with my stock form. And all I want is between 200-300hp when I go Turbo. Not too much to ask..and can be done with a 300zx ECU. (which I have) And a little more tweaking and research. Anyway I enjoy driving my Z daily. And wouldn't drive anything else..because it's a Z.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:06 PM

yeah, before i wrecked mine it was the perfect daily driver. 25-28 mpg. 215 hp. no problems. i do all the maintence on mine as well. i trust nobody with my baby lol
Old 11-22-2008, 09:56 PM

Nobody touchs mine! I always **** the state inspectors off cause I hover when they go through the check list. Its a daily driver too, last three letters on my plate are TMF, it stands for Tough Mo#@%r F*%&er. Drive it like you stole it. And when it brakes you fix it again. Thats why where all here, to help each other out when it blows up, or just wont start.