240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Where/what is this leak coming from???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:19 PM

Where/what is this leak coming from???

Ok, so I've finally got the engine to turn over, and I realize I have a ignition timing issue since I have to retard the dist. way back to the point of taking the locking bolt out.

Anyway... I've just noticed my engine is leaking coolant D: just when I thought I did something right for once, something else f-cks up!
It doesn't appear to be oil, thankfully but I'm questionable because some of the droplets are black. I may end up having to rebuild the engine yet again
I suspect the water pump. The coolant seems to just pour out just under my main pully it seems. I'll have a video soon enough to further show what's going on exactly, unless someone can help me without video proof.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I have no clue if this has been posted in the correct area so if not then inform me before I **** off an admin :P
Old 11-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

If its leaking from the weephole on the water pump the "black stuff" could be the remains of the seal of the water pump mixed in with the coolant.

Also if you didn't clean out the head and blocks cooling passages well enough it would simply just be crud left over from the rebuild as well
Old 11-06-2010, 12:41 PM

Ok, yeah; just confirmed it is the pump, after letting the engine warm up abit (and a few revving sexy sound bytes for the ears ) The pump started to make that typical squeaking noise. I'm guessing the seal is totally dead now but I'll get to pricing new pumps. however if I keep seeing this black sh*t flying around then I may go for broke @_@
Old 11-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Have you checked your coolant to see if its not black as well??? and your oil too? I still think its just whatever is left in the cooling system of whats left of that water pump seal
Old 11-08-2010, 09:03 PM

Yep!

Sounds like the water pump. Is you main pulley - the one that the fan mounts to (orginal) unless you have removed the mechanical fan and are now running an electric fan.

Speed
Old 11-08-2010, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Speed
Yep!

Sounds like the water pump. Is you main pulley - the one that the fan mounts to (orginal) unless you have removed the mechanical fan and are now running an electric fan.

Speed
I've still got the manual pulley one and keeping it I just don't trust iron with a fan that isn't on at all times. If it were aluminium then that would be a different scenario :P