280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head coming off, and motor coming out ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 10:54 AM

Head coming off, and motor coming out ...

Yup. I'm pulling my beast and getting ready for a full rebuild. So, I ask suggestions and comments from you all.

I'm pulling off my intake manifold today and taking some measurements for intake runners and ITBs. Suggestions on length and TB size? Maybe what car[s] I could pull TBs from? I'm planning on 50mm TBs, but if I can find 6 smaller Honda TBs from a Civic or something, I'll be using them.

Also, while I'm down there, I'll be pulling the exhaust manifold off, and taking measurements for the tubular, T3-flanged unit I'll be fabbing up. I'll be locating the turbo a bit forward of where a stock turbo would hang, so I don't have clearance issues with the steering gear.

And if y'all didn't string together those two previous paragraphs ... I"m building my P79/F54 combo with ITBs AND a turbo. Should be good fun. For now I'll leave the bottom-end stock, and run about 5psi boost, and see where I'm at there. Of course, I'll be running a MegaSquirt system by the time that's put back together, so I won't need any of my stock hardware.

So, I'll be selling all the gear I will no longer use - all stock stuff, like injectors, fuel rail, TB [if I don't use it], miscellaneous check valves, AFM, ECU, wiring, O2 sensor, airbox, intake tubing ... etc. etc. Let me know what y'all want or need, and make an offer I can't refuse.

And again, I ask comments, questions, dork-*** remarks - they're all welcome, and appreciated.

-Dave-O
Old 10-14-2005, 11:40 AM
The Good Twin

I really like the dork-*** comments... but I'll be serious this time.

The L28D had a good intake manifold w/ larger runners. I've seen a couple turbo setups w/ that manifold. Ya just gotta fab up your own throttle body.

Do you already have the Megasquirt components?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:42 PM

This car made known to me the day I got her, that she'd be a "Winter Project". Never said anything about being two years running though.

Nah, no MS pieces as of yet. I'll be buying the MS parts as the build requires: injectors, sensors, pump, lines, wiring, with the actual ECU portion last. I tossed around the idea of running distributorless, and if I go that route [most likely] I'll buy and install that with the ECU itself.

As for the Diesel manifold, I've read somewhere about a few turbo setups with that particular intake. I wouldn't mind running that setup, but it's been done before. I'm really set on ITBs though, mostly because I do like the throttle response of them, and so I can say I've got ITBs on my car . That's something only Z-ers can say if they've got an RB26.

I'm all about the custom for this project - everything that I'd need to replace or buy [i.e. manifolds, TB setups, etc.], I'm going to build myself. Then I'll have signature parts to offer to you guys [I know a couple of you would like a turbo header or ITBs ].

I'll be surprised if the stock N/A bottom-end makes it past 250hp, but until I start blowing rings and headgaskets, I'm not too concerned.

So, now I go back out to the garage, finish pulling the manifolds, and cut them down to flanges. Again, I ask for your thoughts, and comments. Oh, and Nismo, I want your dork-*** comments, too.

-Dave-O
Old 10-14-2005, 02:38 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

TWM ITB's are available from RedLine for any L6 running the triple Weber or Mikuni intake manifolds and have been done numerous times before.

Last edited by lww; 10-14-2005 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:48 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by lww
TWM ITB's are available from RedLine for any L6 running the triple Weber or Mikuni intake manifolds and have been done numerous times before.

That is a gorgeous setup. There's a red 240Z (I've got pics @ home) from So Cal w/ an L28ET... he fab'd up a large carbon fiber intake manifold, and I think he used ITB's too... I'll dig up that pic tonight, that I took @ the 2002 MSA show.