The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

thinking of starting a SMALL bussiness

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Über User

thinking of starting a SMALL bussiness

sooooo it dawned on me today.

my work is letting me print out 250 free FULL COLOR front and back bussiness cards (a nice 60 dollar value) for free for our learning of teh new document center. so im thinking, they arent giving me **** for hours, im at home all day, between what i know im capable of doing a turbo swap suspension brakes finding many things wrong with the car and paint and my dads knowledge of diagnosing problems and rehapolstry and paint and ****, im going to start a small out of home bussiness for Z cars. s130 and s30 specific and then a few small things on other Z's (sept those damn 3 fiddies) and maybe some other imports like DSM's and honduh's for restoration and repair and body work. what do you guys think. i can swap motors pull em apart put em together do a decent ammount of electrical, i cant fab stuff though , i can do almost any body work, and blah blah blah..... i think i can pull it off. sooooo what do you guys think? should i do it? im sure i wont get crap for bussiness but im sure theres a few kids and older people arouund with S30's where they go my car is running funny, or, i want more power ,that dont know there crap. i just gotta find em. good idea or no? i know mike is down with it since he cant pull springs lol jk mike
Old 07-11-2007, 12:27 AM
Poor kid, no ruler

I say go for it bro.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:20 AM
Über User

the only thing i think i might have proplems with.... is finding people, let alone people that will trust a 19 year old kid with a problem they cant fix that they need some one else. lol... guess ill have to have my dad meet them!
Old 07-11-2007, 02:49 AM
Ruff Ryder

i usually would jump right in and say hell yea! but there is kind of a distance issue between you and me...
Old 07-11-2007, 05:11 AM
Poor kid, no ruler

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
the only thing i think i might have proplems with.... is finding people, let alone people that will trust a 19 year old kid with a problem they cant fix that they need some one else. lol... guess ill have to have my dad meet them!
Have it under your dad's name or something than.

Just show them your car, that should be enough for them to trust you.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:05 AM
Political n00b crusher

I say go for it man...I might be your first customer...
Old 07-11-2007, 07:17 AM
The Good Twin

You want to make a real business or just "say" you have a business? I've thought about it before. There's a lot of benefits of having a legit business, but it can be a pain to get it worked out w/ the city / state. In my area, to have a residential business you have to get permission from all surrounding neighbors. If it's auto related you must comply with guidelines... no parts or hazardous material in the house, yard, or anywhere visible to the public. But when you get your biz license... you have a tax id# which you can use to get discounts all ovah the place!
Old 07-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Über User

not sure how far i want to go, think i just want to do something small out of the house no one would really know about, and neighbors dont give a crap about cars in teh driveway since ours is HUGE and teh neighbors are far on both ends. dont know if i got it in me to go all out and get a license and fun crap.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:01 AM
GTR
Badass Z Chick

I'd say go for it, don't worry, some people aren't THAT paranoid, lookey me, people trust there cars to me (not as many as I'd like), and I'm a "scrawny girly-girl" so I think you'd be fine, and yeah, have your dad talk to them :P ^.^
Old 07-11-2007, 09:19 AM
The Evil Twin

Is your car running perfectly now?

Also, if you ever have to use the forum for help on customers cars then you don't know enough to be fixing their cars. Keep that in mind.

I've done work on some people's cars. Isolated projects here and there that I had confidence in. I never used any other help. No way would I do bodywork though. I dont' even want to do that on my own car.... I'd rather do suspension and brake work for cash and then pay someone else to do bodywork on my car.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by Bleach
Is your car running perfectly now?

Also, if you ever have to use the forum for help on customers cars then you don't know enough to be fixing their cars. Keep that in mind.

I've done work on some people's cars. Isolated projects here and there that I had confidence in. I never used any other help. No way would I do bodywork though. I dont' even want to do that on my own car.... I'd rather do suspension and brake work for cash and then pay someone else to do bodywork on my car.

Rod.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Über User

haha... no i dont plan on taking anything that i know would be over my head like some crazy hidden electrical problem. and i dont like body work much either but its easy straight forward, and ill just charge more for it! lol
Old 07-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

im on the same path but if u want to do work on others cars w/o proper instruction dont ask for much. you should really go to a automotive school. im doing wayo tech for crt. and then finishing up my business degree. a shop is all about reputation. could go more into it but im lazy right now.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:11 PM
The Good Twin

haha... no i dont plan on taking anything that i know would be over my head like some crazy hidden electrical problem. and i dont like body work much either but its easy straight forward, and ill just charge more for it! lol
so no crazy electrical work... no body work... what are you planning on doing again? ok ok.... I keed! I keed!
Old 07-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Über User

what.... ill do some electrical work but im no wizard at it so like wierd hidden problems that arent diagnosable by a voltmeter and a few hours are a no go. and i said i will do body work i just dont enjoy it to much but since i do it good, i can charge more for it. yeesh. reading comprehension owned you on the body work part. lol. and cause all you people are getting on my case maybe i wont call it a bussiness anymore. but just a side gig out of house...... entrepenurship
Old 07-11-2007, 06:41 PM
The Evil Twin

I pretty much do brake work, replace springs and struts, blinker fluid changes, and car stereo installs for my family and friends. That's about it. If they start talking about problems with their transmission, clutch, or engine rebuild I'm like... "Nope! Can't help you. I dont know nuthin' aboot that stuff!"
Old 07-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Über User

lol i can do all that, and i can do clutches flywheels throw out bearings, struts springs tune ups, fluid changes of any sort. fun stuff. and for more than family and friends
Old 07-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Political n00b crusher

Glad to hear that snw! My car is gonna need a new clutch soon....
Old 07-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Über User

lol, no problemo! i can do that crap in like 2 miinutes.... not really but pretty damn quik.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:43 AM
The Evil Twin

Snwy, I did my own engine swap and clutch work... I'm just saying I don't do that kind of work for other people. Its not even worth doing for $600 in labor.
But then again, I'm in my 20's. I'm an old man compared to you...
Old 07-12-2007, 08:53 AM
Doesn't post much...

Snw... Dude...

I'll pay you to never touch one of my cars...

Rod.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Stupid Hurricanes...

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
Snw... Dude...

I'll pay you to never touch one of my cars...

Rod.

hahahahahah
Old 07-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Über User

well rod after hearing how they've treated you under your care i wouldnt expect an expert mechanic like yourself to need anyone

EDIT: and heres my paypal sky_viper6868@yahoo.com make a nice donation and ill never fly out to cali and touch your car.

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 07-12-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

do you want a tip for all your hard work?

stay in school.....sorry had to do it
Old 07-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Doesn't post much...

well rod after hearing how they've treated you under your care i wouldnt expect an expert mechanic like yourself to need anyone

EDIT: and heres my paypal sky_viper6868@yahoo.com make a nice donation and ill never fly out to cali and touch your car.
Actually, the only stuff that has ever broken or died on my car is stuff I let someone else work on...

Rod.

Quick Reply: thinking of starting a SMALL bussiness