The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

High HP L28s

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 04:50 PM
i felld offa mai trike

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
That being said, 300hp is the PEAK of these motors in an NA form
only for a DD, there are much, much higher numbers achievable if streetability is not a concern, as seen by this SUPER MAD JDM TYTE video I found(just to give the ****** 2by2 moar **** to troll on me about):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvtjIxwNEZE&feature=fvw
Old 07-13-2010, 05:03 PM
This facepalm's for you!

Originally Posted by PurePontiacKid
only for a DD, there are much, much higher numbers achievable if streetability is not a concern, as seen by this SUPER MAD JDM TYTE video I found(just to give the ****** 2by2 moar **** to troll on me about):

300 is a near peak for an L28 n/a

the Rebello 3.1/3.2 strokers are making ~300- ~340 at the flywheel
(depending on tuning ect)

over 300 is going to need a build and forced induction.

(johns built 3.0 stroker turbo is putting down 454)

whats that video prove?
Old 07-13-2010, 05:19 PM
i felld offa mai trike

That video is an NA L-motor laying down 409ps at the wheels (or 403whp).
Old 07-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Ruff Ryder

The biggest (only problem really) is the budget, you are not going to be able to build one of these motors to produce that much power for under $6k, even if you do the work yourself.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:03 PM
This facepalm's for you!

That video is an NA L-motor laying down 409ps at the wheels (or 403whp).
its impressive but not that relevant, that motor probably has 8-10k in head work ALONE
Old 07-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Ruff Ryder

Also, anyone can change a few values on a dyno and make an extra hundred HP or two.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:19 PM
i felld offa mai trike

Originally Posted by skib
its impressive but not that relevant, that motor probably has 8-10k in head work ALONE

Still, saying 300 is the PEAK of the L is incorrect.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Wow this idea really sparked some interest in the subject lol And so far were not looking at do much really in parts other then cam rods and pistons. even then their not to bad if you know where to look (helps when you get seller prices and not customer prices )

They headwork part is right even when starting with a P90 head. I'm still working out details but where going to start porting and flowbench testing the P90 head this week

And did you guys forget about the Devil Z? It had 600HP on boost of course. but I'm looking at reliable HP not weekend racer
Old 07-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Über User

I wish someone with the resources and production abilities would make a DOHC head conversion for our cars. if they could keep the cost of that around 3-4k they'd be millionaires lol. something that flowed so well and had a proper chamber design you could push 20+psi without any water/meth injection and get over the 400whp range much more easily than you can with the current L head design.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:44 PM
i felld offa mai trike

^a guy on Hybridz is halfassedly attempting to put a DOHC Mercedes head on an L, but he decided instead to concentrate on swapping the whole Mercedes motor in first lol

another thing is though, is the market for a head like that. you say 3-4k, but 90% of Z owners can't justify spending all that cash on a head (now, if that price included the intake manifold, header, cams, lifters/rockers, springs, etc. etc., then I could see it catching on... MAYBE...)
Old 07-13-2010, 09:13 PM
The Good Twin

^a guy on Hybridz is halfassedly attempting to put a DOHC Mercedes head on an L, but he decided instead to concentrate on swapping the whole Mercedes motor in first lol

another thing is though, is the market for a head like that. you say 3-4k, but 90% of Z owners can't justify spending all that cash on a head (now, if that price included the intake manifold, header, cams, lifters/rockers, springs, etc. etc., then I could see it catching on... MAYBE...)
You know about the dissected KA24DE heads right? http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?showtopic=54764

Old 07-13-2010, 09:23 PM
This facepalm's for you!

Still, saying 300 is the PEAK of the L is incorrect.
its not the max but its pretty damn close, that video is one freak L28 with TONS of work, R&D and MONEY put into it.

part of this topic is the plan to build them and sell them for a few K
on that budget its just not there.

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
And did you guys forget about the Devil Z? It had 600HP on boost of course. but I'm looking at reliable HP not weekend racer
I cant believe you just used wangan as a reference
getting 600hp on that set up in real life is NOT possible.

Ill be happy with 200hp out of the N/A Im building.

and Ill be running an F54 turbo block, OEM dome top pistons, fully ported E31 with over sized valves, ITB's, light flywheel, Wolf EMS, and running at 10/11 to 1 CR

and on top of my experiance Iv got guys like Paul (BRAAP), Ron (RTz), and Steve (Z-Therapy) that are friends and people that I bounce my theories and idea off of and lend advice and a hand on it

you cant build a 300hp N/A at 2.8L and sell it for 3k and not take a huge loss, or 5k even.......

Id actually love to see you prove me wrong tho

I love L engines, but the fact is there a single OHC, non cross flow, engine designed in the 60's
they are great motors but you cant build them up like an RB or an SR ect, there just not as efficient

Last edited by skib; 07-13-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:43 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Well I'd love to prove everyone wrong that I cant build them for that cheap lol so I'm gonna give it a try anyways.

And I'd love to ask a few of your friends a few questions with this build

Finally the Devil Z was actually a real Z car made by Speed Shop Shinohara out in Japan. Tho it wasn't actually NAMED the Devil Z till around the time that anime came out.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Big Poppa

the japanese are at 400rwhp, with 55 dcoe's and secret cams only locals and club members can buy. i spent near 6k on my engine and can only hope i hit 250 after the new ms, bigger injectors, intake and bigger header
Old 07-13-2010, 10:33 PM
i felld offa mai trike

Originally Posted by skib
its not the max but its pretty damn close, that video is one freak L28 with TONS of work, R&D and MONEY put into it.

getting 600hp on that set up in real life is NOT possible.

Ill be happy with 200hp out of the N/A Im building.

and Ill be running an F54 turbo block, OEM dome top pistons, fully ported E31 with over sized valves, ITB's, light flywheel, Wolf EMS, and running at 10/11 to 1 CR
that's not ONE freak L motor, there are quite a few of them on youtube (that's only on youtube, think how many moar there are roaming around Japan) pushing 350+whp

600whp IS still possible with an L motor, maybe not with the Wangan setup, but it's still possible.

You don't give the L the respect it deserves, I'll bet you'll be making way moar than 200whp with that setup once you get it all tuned
Old 07-13-2010, 10:42 PM
This facepalm's for you!

that's not ONE freak L motor, there are quite a few of them on youtube (that's only on youtube, think how many moar there are roaming around Japan) pushing 350+whp
Im saying its a freak motor not saying its the only one ever

600whp IS still possible with an L motor, maybe not with the Wangan setup, but it's still possible.
yes its possible, rare, hard, and EXPENSIVE

I said its not passible on the wangan set up.

You don't give the L the respect it deserves, I'll bet you'll be making way moar than 200whp with that setup once you get it all tuned
I dont say it because I dont respect L's. I only build L's and Im saying it because I know them very well
Old 07-13-2010, 10:47 PM
i felld offa mai trike

you don't give them enough credit then, that a better word? lol you make it sound like it's some voodoo magic that occurs when an L motor breaks 200whp.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:18 PM
Ruff Ryder

Personally, I think people should research on a crossflow head for the L-series, not DOHC. simply converting to DOHC will not gain anything. (I'll stick to VG's then have been proven to make some damn good power on the cheap and are easy to install)
Old 07-13-2010, 11:18 PM
This facepalm's for you!

you don't give them enough credit then, that a better word? lol you make it sound like it's some voodoo magic that occurs when an L motor breaks 200whp.
getting an L to 300+ N/A is something that takes a lot of quality work (and thus money)
its pretty much %85 head work, thats where you tap into most of the power with pistons and good head.

to have a 400+ N/A is some sort of voodoo magic not really same thing just more work and more money.

Im not saying its not possible or that it dosent happen....

....just not for 3k
Old 07-14-2010, 01:05 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

Everyone seems to like to argue over the idea it seems. I dont see why it would cost so much, I can see it if you are out sourcing everything but thats not really the case I have.

Ah well we'll see what happens I guess. Were going to tally up the cost of parts later this week along with see what kind of work is needed on the P90 head.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:15 AM
This facepalm's for you!

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
E
Ah well we'll see what happens I guess. Were going to tally up the cost of parts later this week along with see what kind of work is needed on the P90 head.

good idea Im trying to argue but more discuss

thats the plan for my motor, Im gonna build it up and see what it makes on the dyno when its in the car
Old 07-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Ruff Ryder

What needs to be done, is to make a crossflow head for it, sleeve the block to 3.5 liters and use a 180* crank.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:05 AM
Haterade by da gallon!

ITT: People who haven't read this thread...

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?...-not-56k-safe/

Especially this newfag. VVVV

Old 07-15-2010, 10:18 AM
This facepalm's for you!

Originally Posted by 280zx2by2

Especially this newfag. VVVV
on of the threads Iv read extensively in my research
Old 07-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Oh yeah?! Freak this!!!

Originally Posted by 280zx2by2

I read the first few pages, and it's very good/really cool information! That's a crap load of work for 400HP though. And that $24,000 priced out build (and it wasn't even a full ready to bolt in engine) is really steep for 400HP...

Quick Reply: High HP L28s