The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

Deciding my path

Old 08-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Deciding my path

well senior year and im finally starting to weigh my options...

what im thinking is join the airforce, use the system and pay for college, join a local shop/ dealership and go from there...

now the details

airforce... id like to join and be working in the hanger, do i have any choice in what i do or is it all dependent on my asvab scores? then there's all the other issues of how long should i stay in, retirement, deployment ect.

college... i dont know what field i want to go into, auto body or mechanics, i love autobody but mechanics seems to always be there no mater how bad the economy gets... schools would be Wyotech, UTI, NADC

after all the fun stuff... this is kind of iffy, cant really look 10 years into the future and tell how things are going to be and it depends on what field i decide to go into

other option would be go to my local tech school for free, see if i can get into the local shops, dealerships and go from there but for some reason that route seems like it leaves me with no options

all of this seems like ill be neglecting my love for z's for a while but id rather be able to have the funds and ability to fully restore a car later
in my life than to just be barely surviving and having a half assed car, house, and life.
Poverty and the fact that every nice 240z i see i become envious of seems to be a great motivator to go the first route...

my questions are what advise do you have, what have you done similar to this, or if you can fill in any of the blanks give it a try

prob gonna post this on hbz too, seems like there are alot of very successful people there that might be able to help me with the details

Last edited by 280zx2by2; 08-16-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Political n00b crusher

I'd definitely choose the college route, but thats just me.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:50 PM

i went to uti in sac...it was worth it to me..some guys say no but i have 4 buddies that all came from my area i grew up with and they said it was. UTI is def. worth it. I am workin at a toyota dealership here in carson city and i wouldnt have got in without the t-ten training. Go to UTI.edu and find out bro. I would recomend it tho. I wouldnt sign up for the military if ur just gonna use it for school and such. Pointless. My Z was put away for a while cause of school but i just picked up a parts car to start continuing with it. It takes time and patience but it is well worth it to wait and do it right than to rush and do it over and over again. Trust me college is the best way to go.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by 81SacUti280zx
i went to uti in sac...it was worth it to me..some guys say no but i have 4 buddies that all came from my area i grew up with and they said it was. UTI is def. worth it. I am workin at a toyota dealership here in carson city and i wouldnt have got in without the t-ten training. Go to UTI.edu and find out bro. I would recomend it tho. I wouldnt sign up for the military if ur just gonna use it for school and such. Pointless. My Z was put away for a while cause of school but i just picked up a parts car to start continuing with it. It takes time and patience but it is well worth it to wait and do it right than to rush and do it over and over again. Trust me college is the best way to go.
i just know i wouldn't be able to afford the (what almost 30k?) tuition, i hate that they didn't locate a school here in GA...

i REALLY dont like to owe people money, never have

i see military as A: paying for college and B: giving me more experience no matter what technical field i get into
Old 08-16-2009, 03:02 PM
This facepalm's for you!

if you want the army to pay for your collage get reaaaaaal good at going over legal contracts (ie the ones you sign for the army) (or have a lawyer) because its not as strait forward and easy as they advertise it to be
Old 08-16-2009, 03:07 PM

no it is not..trust me one of my old friends did that..(joined for those reasons)..decided once he finished school he would quit...not so easy. Stuck in for another 4 yrs. And yeah its about 30-40k depending what you do, and payments start 6 mos after u grad...you could also ask for a deferment for more time and such. Its not too bad. But a lot of dealerships wont take you w/o some kind of automotive training. We turned down 1 army and 1 marine tech because they didnt have the "right/proper" training. So idk bro. There isnt one there in ga but around there maybe 2 states away there is. and just look at it as seeing new states. Meeting new people and having a good time. It is not so bad.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by skib
if you want the army to pay for your collage get reaaaaaal good at going over legal contracts (ie the ones you sign for the army) (or have a lawyer) because its not as strait forward and easy as they advertise it to be
yeah we kind of pissed a recruiter off one day at school when we started going into the details of what happens if you get deployed while you are in college and i believe he basically said is you are deployed you have to leave and and depending on the school might have to take all courses over again...

no one raised their hand at the end when he asked "so who thinks they might be interested in enlisting?"
Old 08-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

no it is not..trust me one of my old friends did that..(joined for those reasons)..decided once he finished school he would quit...not so easy. Stuck in for another 4 yrs. And yeah its about 30-40k depending what you do, and payments start 6 mos after u grad...you could also ask for a deferment for more time and such. Its not too bad. But a lot of dealerships wont take you w/o some kind of automotive training. We turned down 1 army and 1 marine tech because they didnt have the "right/proper" training. So idk bro. There isnt one there in ga but around there maybe 2 states away there is. and just look at it as seeing new states. Meeting new people and having a good time. It is not so bad.
well thing is about GA is you meet the requirements and get accepted by the school GA pays for your first degree :/
Old 08-16-2009, 03:16 PM
This facepalm's for you!

then theres the whole getting shot at part.

like a humve for instance, the strongest part of the truck are the side windows, theyll stop all kinda of ****, but the rest of the rig is butter

or waking up to rockets being fired into your barracks

this is a pic of just that from my buddies barracks in iraq
"was 100 feet from it. loudest alarm clock ive ever heard in my life"

Name:  l_7c9bbc3f2410492ea4e3d7eb81dc71d5.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  24.2 KB
Old 08-16-2009, 04:29 PM

yeah forget that ****...not for me..thats cool about ga paying for your first degree...so idk than its up to you. but i wouldnt like getting shot at day and night and also putting my life in danger...well i would i tryed the marines but they wont take me cause im missing 1/4 of my left lung..damn pneumonia. o well i turned out ok and have a decent job. still alive to work on my z so...you take the chance of not coming home and working on it if u join the military..
Old 08-16-2009, 04:33 PM
This facepalm's for you!

its not all bad but the service isnt for everyone.

I was going to join the AF but i dont have 20/20 vision and so I cant fly for them
Old 08-16-2009, 04:38 PM

ah...yeah i would have enjoyed it very much. kept me in shape..served my country and my fellow americans. i would have loved it but no one would take me. it just wasnt meant for me to serve in that way..so i now serve my community by fixing thier cars. 1 car at a time...now if i can only fix mine...lol poor z..been gettin slowly more and more done...but the rust is what idk wut to do with
Old 08-16-2009, 05:01 PM
This facepalm's for you!

...but the rust is what idk wut to do with
Name:  PAG125N-125mm-Angle-Grinder.jpg
Size:  4.7 KB
Name:  Inverter_Mig_Welder_Nbc_250a_Nbc_35.jpg
Size:  10.9 KB
Old 08-16-2009, 07:00 PM

lol ya but idk how to do that stuff...but im sure i could learn but i need to post pics but i cant find my camera and my phone wont let me send to emails...only numbers..its gay
Old 08-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

lol ya but idk how to do that stuff...but im sure i could learn but i need to post pics but i cant find my camera and my phone wont let me send to emails...only numbers..its gay
cutting is easy welding take practice and money

i have practice no money so my datsun stays rusty

^^^^ the smiley equations of datsuns, with a bit of economics
Old 08-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Anyone here ever worked in the hvac industry?
Old 08-17-2009, 06:45 PM

I'm 17 and once looked into doing the exact same thing, even down to HVAC after figuring out it wouldn't work out. I reccomend becoming an electrician. Thats my plan. You'll need to get some basic education at a career center or something, though. Or school. After you've done that, you'll have to apprentice for 2-5 years. You'll still get paid, though, a livably salary. Then, about every other year, you move up. Electrician I, Electrican II, and Master Electrician. Once you've been in the business long enough to become a master electrician, start a business. Electricity will be around forever. Or at least all our lives.

Get this. My uncle was a master electrician pretty early in his life. Like 20 or so. He doesn't do residence electricity or any of that. I can't recall exactly what it is he does. Something to do with commercial use, for schools, the water company, etc. Anyhow, has his own business. Made $150K last year. Think about it. The training is free if you can talk someone who is an electrician in the family to let you apprentice with them. Thats what I'm doing. Even get to work for his company if I make it through the few years of apprenticeship and onto becoming a certified electrician.

--Ryan
Old 08-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by Yzzerdd
I'm 17 and once looked into doing the exact same thing, even down to HVAC after figuring out it wouldn't work out. I reccomend becoming an electrician. Thats my plan. You'll need to get some basic education at a career center or something, though. Or school. After you've done that, you'll have to apprentice for 2-5 years. You'll still get paid, though, a livably salary. Then, about every other year, you move up. Electrician I, Electrican II, and Master Electrician. Once you've been in the business long enough to become a master electrician, start a business. Electricity will be around forever. Or at least all our lives.

Get this. My uncle was a master electrician pretty early in his life. Like 20 or so. He doesn't do residence electricity or any of that. I can't recall exactly what it is he does. Something to do with commercial use, for schools, the water company, etc. Anyhow, has his own business. Made $150K last year. Think about it. The training is free if you can talk someone who is an electrician in the family to let you apprentice with them. Thats what I'm doing. Even get to work for his company if I make it through the few years of apprenticeship and onto becoming a certified electrician.

--Ryan
my problem is i dont have any family members to do an apprenticeship with, i actually wanted to do something in the electrical field but for some reason i never have been able to understand some of the basic electrical concepts of ohms wattage voltage and how they relate.. lol some how i managed to rewire and install my radio

interesting site http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...rneyman/Salary

hvac

electrician
Old 08-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Get outta my way.

Well I just graduated in June, and I'm still not sure what I want to do as a career. Taking a year off then going to go to college. Anyways its hard in this current economy to decide on a career.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:26 PM
w0rld's l0ngest m0t0rswap

Originally Posted by 280zx2by2
cutting is easy welding take practice and money

i have practice no money so my datsun stays rusty

^^^^ the smiley equations of datsuns, with a bit of economics
dude u can do it!! get a hood or 2 from the junkyard and practice cutting and welding that metal thats exactly what i did an look how it turne dout

Name:  3-23-08D.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  99.1 KB
Name:  n1034520060_30074694_6166.jpg
Size:  51.3 KB

that total cost was like 150 bucks the (100 for the welder) ntm i got my floorboards nice and i also did some IC piping with that handy box

as for the life paths i'm on the same page, i'm hesitant to joining the forces but here's what i'm thinking

there's 3 pipelines to my goal: a pilot and for u its probably the same but here they are
1. military academy
2. college degree -> OCS / OTS
3. ROTC + college

all of them have minimum AD commitments obviously but i'm thinking route 3 so I can attend AFROTC and college, and you can try it out as a cadet.

but most of that is rambling, but as for Z's you can always keep it as a hobby, you need something to keep u sane u know...or in my case you always need something to be constantly rebuilding.

The only pro for military that i want to join is that they take care of their soldiers and nobody ever regrets joining it. However they do live your life, they tell u how to do everything but for my age I think thats best right now.