280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

so i decided the path of my Z car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:06 AM

so i decided the path of my Z car.

so ever since i got it i have been exploring the options for my Z car, to do a engine swap with a L28ET from the L28E that in it now. then i went through exploring superchargers and turbo chargers. so basically I've come down to I'm buying either a 350 small block or a 383 stroker and putting it in my Z car. i want raw horse power from a big engine and i think the 350 can do so. not to mention i can pick up a 300-400 HP engine from where i am at around 250-500 $$
i also am going to put in a 4 or 5 speed. (what would y'all recommend?)
also, i know the U joints wont hold the power of the V8 so those need to be upgraded. I'm going to get all the stuff, build up the engine with a cam and headers for now and maybe other little stuff. might supercharge or twin turbo it down the road. but not soon because i just don't have that kind of money. i know its not going to mount right in so i need to put engine mounts in. and then a radiator. drive shaft, do i need to change out the differential?? mines a automatic 3 speed as of now so I'm assuming so huh? what else do i need to change? I'm hoping to find an engine with a standard bolted to it so i don't have to do any matching up. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks -jt.

btw, I'm going to get everything before taking the car off the road so i don't have a big mess so I'm sticking to the L28E 3 speed for now.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Pr0n Addict

you need a whole new rear suspension, so that can handle all the power, and you need a new front suspension to handle all the weight. (this considering you still want to be able to turn after all this). i would recommend 5-speed. always seems better then 4 to me. higher top speed. you will probably want a new diff, and probably want a new everything while you are at it. while you are changing everything, you may as well just put this in a camaro. but i just don't like engine swaps. so i'm a little biased
Old 08-02-2008, 12:44 PM

you need a whole new rear suspension, so that can handle all the power, and you need a new front suspension to handle all the weight
No you dont. Doing this swap adds only a little over 140lbs to the car. Also until you get around 500 or so hp you wont need a new rear.
Man... I learn all kinda of new stuff listening to shady tell me ****! lol

Mich:
You might want a LSD. if you got the cash.

You posted this in the wrong place man. The forum go-ers here think v8 swaps are blasphemy. There's a thread on my car currently about this 'Zach's Sbc Swap" etc. Other than that it's a SUPER cheap alternative to get lots of hp. I dont see how spending 10k on a car's engine (Or swap it out for another jap engine) is any different than what you or I would be doing. The only difference is, we'll spend half the dough and our cars will be faster.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:00 PM

new suspension?? you're crazy the swap doesn't weigh nearly enough to pull the suspension down unless you have toothpicks as strut bars, lol.
i actually hear a 350 small block weighs just as much if not less then the L28E. but don't hold me to it. thanks Zach you will be my "go to guy" while I'm going through the swaps. I'm hoping to find a nice 350 i can rebuild that already has 300-400 HP with a 4 barrel. EFI is to much of a mess. and whats LSD?

Originally Posted by Zachrates
No you dont. Doing this swap adds only a little over 140lbs to the car. Also until you get around 500 or so hp you wont need a new rear.
Man... I learn all kinda of new stuff listening to shady tell me ****! lol

Mich:
You might want a LSD. if you got the cash.

You posted this in the wrong place man. The forum go-ers here think v8 swaps are blasphemy. There's a thread on my car currently about this 'Zach's Sbc Swap" etc. Other than that it's a SUPER cheap alternative to get lots of hp. I dont see how spending 10k on a car's engine (Or swap it out for another jap engine) is any different than what you or I would be doing. The only difference is, we'll spend half the dough and our cars will be faster.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:02 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well...here is my view on it for the most part. The main problem I have with swapping an American V8 in a Z. Is when you hear it...it doesn't sound like a Z anymore. All I can hear is a Chevy musclecar..or whatever other musclecar the engine came out of. And to me...the original roadster like sound the Z makes. Is nostalgia to me. Just my opinion...I'm not going to slam you..or put you down. Because you did it...to each his own. But if you ask me..what I think about it. I will say.."It doesn't sound like a Z anymore." And that is one of the huge reasons. I don't like the V8 conversions. And like I said before. If I could afford it...and did the research. I would put a Titan V8 in one of my Z's for kicks. But I would maintain..that nice sweet roadster sound. As much as possible. Anyway good luck on whatever you decide.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:10 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by michanic220
new suspension?? you're crazy the swap doesn't weigh nearly enough to pull the suspension down unless you have toothpicks as strut bars, lol.
i actually hear a 350 small block weighs just as much if not less then the L28E. but don't hold me to it. thanks Zach you will be my "go to guy" while I'm going through the swaps. I'm hoping to find a nice 350 i can rebuild that already has 300-400 HP with a 4 barrel. EFI is to much of a mess. and whats LSD?
Want a '69 Buick Skylark 350...with a step 2 cam..just over 6k miles on the rebuild. Also with duel Hooker headers... Edelbrock 750 4 barrel carb...and pushing 385hp? I want to sell it...to fund my 400 Pontiac big block project for my Firebird.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:24 PM

LSD = Limited Slip Differential. And I'm by no means knowledgeable. Everything I know about Z cars I basically owe to Matt, or Shady280. He's the guy rebuilding my car.

Also that roadster sound is awesome - but all rice rockets and hondas have that sound or something very close. It's made me hate it. I have always loved the throaty growl of a muscle car. But I have never liked the handling/design of them. So this way I get both. To each his own like you said ^^. When/if I ever get another z, I will keep it pure. I would have kept mine stock if I hadn't busted the engine. Literally doing the v8 swap was cheaper than rebuilding my engine. Go figure.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:47 PM

man the straight six to v8 power to me is like when my boys dropped when i was 13 and started talking like a man, lmao i like the z sound but v8 is so much better. not knocking wildman but im with zach and mich.

and i dont know who ill p*ss off with this so if its my last post you know why lol.
as for the ppl who will openly bash us for this crazy talk v8 non jap motor swap? you can bite me, tired of bein called a traitor, its the same ppl who dont have the cohones to cut a rectangle hole in their dash for a nice radio, they would rather turn old school *****. but to each his own more like nostalgia or whatever

by the way how do u qoute messages? cant figure out how to check t the qoute box
Old 08-02-2008, 07:41 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by wake2wake21
man the straight six to v8 power to me is like when my boys dropped when i was 13 and started talking like a man, lmao i like the z sound but v8 is so much better. not knocking wildman but im with zach and mich.

and i dont know who ill p*ss off with this so if its my last post you know why lol.
as for the ppl who will openly bash us for this crazy talk v8 non jap motor swap? you can bite me, tired of bein called a traitor, its the same ppl who dont have the cohones to cut a rectangle hole in their dash for a nice radio, they would rather turn old school *****. but to each his own more like nostalgia or whatever

by the way how do u qoute messages? cant figure out how to check t the qoute box
Check it like this...just click on the quote. And I'm not offended...don't worry about that man. And my Z will be different with my creativity put into it. But mainly on the inside...and with drivetrain parts..that came from the factory. Just turbo converted..heh heh
Old 08-02-2008, 07:49 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by Zachrates
LSD = Limited Slip Differential. And I'm by no means knowledgeable. Everything I know about Z cars I basically owe to Matt, or Shady280. He's the guy rebuilding my car.

Also that roadster sound is awesome - but all rice rockets and hondas have that sound or something very close. It's made me hate it. I have always loved the throaty growl of a muscle car. But I have never liked the handling/design of them. So this way I get both. To each his own like you said ^^. When/if I ever get another z, I will keep it pure. I would have kept mine stock if I hadn't busted the engine. Literally doing the v8 swap was cheaper than rebuilding my engine. Go figure.
Oh and I'm sorry. But I totally disagree with you. No Z..sounds even close to a farting Honda Civic. I have heard enough of them. And those things sound like pure crap. a 4 banger and 6 banger..are two different breeds. Just like a V8 and a straight 6 will never sound the same. And don't get me wrong. I love my V8 in my Firebird. But guess what she does more than 98% of the time? Just sit there...because I can't even afford to fire her up when I need to. I miss hearing my V8. But I am glad I have my 6..mainly for fuel. No offense though man.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:01 PM
The Good Twin

Are we still living in 1980? Who puts a 350 motor in a 280zx nowadays? Supercharged LS7 mounted to a 6 speed or nothing!

EDIT....

not to mention i can pick up a 300-400 HP engine from where i am at around 250-500 $$
Also... stock goober 350's don't put out 300hp. And unless you find some idiot who built the motor but doesn't know how much it's worth, you won't find a 400hp motor for 250-500.

Last edited by NismoPick; 08-02-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:52 PM

my quote box will not check,

to clear everything up just to make sure, 6 cyl sounds nothing like a 4, only 4 banger id take is wrx sti or rb motor i like 6 but i love 8

i get 20 miles to the gallon in my 83 zx n/a, my dream was a ls with a t56(not just saying that cuz nismo did) i thouught i found an ls6 with t56 couple weeks i think it was but dont have 6k i believe that ill increase my mpg with v8.newr LS camaros get better mpg then i do
Old 08-02-2008, 08:54 PM

my quote box will not check,

to clear everything up just to make sure, 6 cyl sounds nothing like a 4, only 4 banger id take is wrx sti or rb motor i like 6 but i love 8

i get 20 miles to the gallon in my 83 zx n/a, my dream was a ls with a t56(not just saying that cuz nismo did) i thouught i found an ls6 with t56 couple weeks i think it was but dont have 6k i believe that ill increase my mpg with v8.newr LS camaros get better mpg then i do
nevermind i got it its just the beer talkin lol
Old 08-02-2008, 09:20 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

The answer... RB power...
Old 08-02-2008, 10:57 PM

i have already found a few 350 small blocks running in the 300-400 hp range. its not uncommon for them to. and about cutting up the car, yea it was a great care back in 1980 but whats a car if you dont make it YOU'RE car? might as well go rent one! and gas isnt a issue. ill feed it how ever, even if i have to scrape up penny's but ima have a streetbike soon for gas anyways.

for how much wild man? message me and we'll talk.

nismo, do you ever help anybody?
all the post i have read from you, you have been doing nothing but bashing or putting somthing down, dont get me wrong you're probly a cool guy i just dont know you. but there's no need in constantly putting things down and bashing on everyone.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:59 PM

corvettes new vette is running 600 rear wheel horsepower and 650 with twin turbo kit, and running 25-30 miles per gallon. how the hell, i will never know but it was on gears.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:47 AM

that vette motor is what ui want under the hood of my z but i think if i got anywhere close to that it would be a permenant candy cane, by the way how much hp/torc can you carry before u need chassis upgrades?

nismo has been on here a long time, if i can speak for him<*#$$> he has helped me alot and knows a ridiculous amount about z cars, more then one time like on my old zdriver acount back in the day, i would post a problem and nismo or bleach told me the answer and how to fix it. but as with a few regulars around here he prob gets tired of anwsering the same question when the anwser is at the end of any well executed search page. not saying i know how to search tho cuz this search engine freakin hates my guts, i cant get anywhere with it
if u wanna get away with murder u talk to OJ's dead lawyer, you wanna talk aboput football hit up that madden guy, got a bodyhair problem talk to chewbacca, lmao but if i need help with my z car. i pray that im on nismos good side, or bleach lmfao, and several other good guys on here
Old 08-03-2008, 06:47 AM

if u wanna get away with murder u talk to OJ's dead lawyer, you wanna talk aboput football hit up that madden guy, got a bodyhair problem talk to chewbacca, lmao but if i need help with my z car. i pray that im on nismos good side, or bleach lmfao, and several other good guys on here
Yeah. Nismo is actually a very helpful guy. Most of his posts are useful, z-supportive information. But hey, sometimes you just gotta bash on somebody. Like Snowy. most of his posts are useless bashing and bragging. but every now and then he'll pull a useful something out of nowhere.

But back on track, Its good to see another Z-driver Non-purist. I appreciate the nostalgia of full originality, but if its already broken then why not have fun with it right? Do it up the way you want it. Though i wanna know where you're finding 400hp V8's for that dang cheap.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Oh and I'm sorry. But I totally disagree with you. No Z..sounds even close to a farting Honda Civic. I have heard enough of them. And those things sound like pure crap. a 4 banger and 6 banger..are two different breeds. Just like a V8 and a straight 6 will never sound the same. And don't get me wrong. I love my V8 in my Firebird. But guess what she does more than 98% of the time? Just sit there...because I can't even afford to fire her up when I need to. I miss hearing my V8. But I am glad I have my 6..mainly for fuel. No offense though man.
No offense taken! ^_^. To each his own right? And actually I just realized my muffler has been broken a long time. I forgot, thats probably why my Z sounded like **** lol.

Ironically, I would have kept the engine the same if it was cheaper to rebuild it. Oh well. I know a guy who will smog my car to pass =D so I get to tweak the hell out of it. I live in California, I'd never be able to pass this **** now.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:32 PM

yea, i do understand where nismo comes from with that and i understand it does get tiring. me being the one speaking with a half inch wick on an atom bomb (short temper)
and I'm finding it on craigslist in daytona Florida. where else?
you think ima pay $2304823423084 shipping on ebay?! lol
Old 08-03-2008, 12:40 PM

so i've figured up two groups for Z car owners. group one is "wow, this car is bad@ss" and group too is "wow, this car could be a bad@ss car!"
Old 08-03-2008, 08:05 PM
The Good Twin

Sorry... no more criticism from me ( well... for michanic anyway )

so i've figured up two groups for Z car owners. group one is "wow, this car is bad@ss" and group too is "wow, this car could be a bad@ss car!"
I'm group three: "This car is FAST" or "This car is SLOW"
Old 08-04-2008, 09:57 AM

LOL. forgot about that one.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:39 AM
NisTuner

I don't mind the idea of a V8 in a Z, it doesn't really bother me. Although I was reading a site about putting an SBC into a Z. They were saying it only weighs about 100lbs more than the L28E and gives you I forget how much power, but really the way it laid it out didn't make it seem that much better. It was mentioning that you shouldn't waste time with Turbocharging the L28E as it adds weight, piping, and complication, etc. It was in my opinion a really bad way to try to sway people to the SBC. If you find an SBC that's been built some then you're probably good to go. It seems like if you have a L28ET in your car then putting a stock SBC won't make much difference when you could just up the boost some.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:29 PM
The Evil Twin

twin turbo V8

Quick Reply: so i decided the path of my Z car.