300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Water/Alcohol Injection

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 08:17 PM

Water/Alcohol Injection

What can anyone tell me about Water/Alcohol Injection, and water/alcohol/hydrogen peroxide injection? I know that it has been used on military planes since WWII with escellent results. Anyone have any experience with this?

I have been reading about it and claims of 20 - 30% increase in power without danger of damage to the engine. Also, allegedly a bonus is much lower emissions.

This all sounds plausible from a scientific angle... but it also sounds too good to be true.

Johann B
Old 06-12-2004, 06:07 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

it's possible and it's true.
The secret is in the delivery. Super fine mist of water helps lower emissions, lowers overall cylinder temperatures and increases combustion which equals more power. Alcohol I wouldn't recommend since it's already in a lot of the gas we use, so you'll just further dilute your gas mix. Even though hydrogen peroxide is a great accelarant, I haven't heard of anyone using it in their cars.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:57 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Google ...... "water injection kit"

Methanol looks good to me.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by rizzspeed
it's possible and it's true.
The secret is in the delivery. Super fine mist of water helps lower emissions, lowers overall cylinder temperatures and increases combustion which equals more power. Alcohol I wouldn't recommend since it's already in a lot of the gas we use, so you'll just further dilute your gas mix. Even though hydrogen peroxide is a great accelarant, I haven't heard of anyone using it in their cars.
Rizz & Canyon,
Thanks for the replies. I found a lot of info on the web. I just wondered if anyone here had actually had any first hand experience with it. I might try it later. First I have to get this damn thing to pass emissions again. I'm gonna try adding some denatured alcohol to the fuel. I have read several articles claiming that it will work.

Thanks,
Johann B
Old 06-12-2004, 09:54 PM
Banned

I know Aqua Mist helps for the TT cars. It helps cool the incoming air to the engine.
I would only assume that it would work on an NA car but not sure to what extent.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:27 PM

Water/Alcohol Injection

Kyle,
Thanks for the reply. From what I have read, it works in the NA engines too, but with smaller gains. I also found a really interesting reprint from WWII on the web about water/alcohol injection on aircraft engines. It showed several graphs detailing performance gains.

The only thing I don't get is why this isn't used on cars and other vehicles today. It seems like a very inexpensive way to gain power, and at the same time lessen polution. I saw a segment of the TV show 'Trucks!' on propane injection. Seems there's plenty of ways to boost power without dropping a bundle and without going into the engine.

Johann B

Originally Posted by GodZilla
I know Aqua Mist helps for the TT cars. It helps cool the incoming air to the engine.
I would only assume that it would work on an NA car but not sure to what extent.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Banned

your welcome,

A buddy of mine had a propane injected truck it seemed to work realy well the downsize was the size of the tank he needed in the bed of te truck..

I had started doing some research a while back on how to cool the intake temp and a few other items. It seems thats the basic thing you are doing with aquamist or water injection.

The item I could not find that I wanted to find was what the optimal air intake temp would be to achieve the maximum amount of HP..
Old 06-16-2004, 07:55 PM

STI's come with aqua mist for cooling, and i am in proccess of making my own for a wrx....it's gonna cost me about $30 total.....pretty inexpensive way to cool your engine down which we all know results in more power