300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

please help! broke down

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 06:32 AM
Jack Of All Trades

For you n00bs, check here. The gap is the same for n/a & TT. Some people here are correct, you ALWAYS check the gap and adjust as required. I've never installed a set of 4, 6, or 8 plugs where at least one plug didn't need an adjustment.

NGK Sparkplugs

Originally Posted by Goofyz
I guess i don't understand....you don't set the gap on the plugs for a z32. The car does it itself. Any new plug should be close enough so the computer can adjust to work with the other plugs. That's part of the charm of individual ignition coils... But if you feel like checking the gaps and using a timing light for tuning, i suggest you get a Ford or Chevy.
I think you're a little confused and you might want to buy a timing light. Our cars need the base timing set to 15* btdc. It is checked with a timing light and adjusted by rotating the CAS. The ECU assumes that the base timing is at 15* and adjusts the spark timing and fuel maps based upon that.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by willkrom1990
and the oil pressure light never did come on. i didn't even know there was one. but on that note, might there be a low oil pressure cut off? i figure that if a generator has one then a 300zx might.
That's because there isn't one.....

Replace your sending unit....problem solved.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:57 AM

The Nissan Factory Manual

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
For you n00bs, check here. The gap is the same for n/a & TT. Some people here are correct, you ALWAYS check the gap and adjust as required. I've never installed a set of 4, 6, or 8 plugs where at least one plug didn't need an adjustment.

NGK Sparkplugs

I think you're a little confused and you might want to buy a timing light. Our cars need the base timing set to 15* btdc. It is checked with a timing light and adjusted by rotating the CAS. The ECU assumes that the base timing is at 15* and adjusts the spark timing and fuel maps based upon that.

States that Gap does not have to be set. And if you are loosening the bolts on your CAS when you replace your spark plugs... you my friend, have way too much free time. Performance suffers? What performance? Gas Milage? 1/4 mile times? What are you guys NASA engineers? Trying to get the extra 0.02 seconds in your 0-60 times and you think your gap being a couple thousands of an inch different than the ones in the other cylinders will help you be a better driver? As long as they (the gap on the spark plugs) look the same, you wont notice a difference on the Z32. I'm happy enough when I get 25 mpg on the highway. But if you guys really want to spend more time in the garage than you have to, then I guess that's why they call it a hobby.

If you buy plugs from a store, inspect them before you buy them, that way you can avoid the ones with suspected impact damage.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:09 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

States that Gap does not have to be set.
but it should be checked anyways. i have had plugs that all looked fine at first glance, but were not.

And if you are loosening the bolts on your CAS when you replace your spark plugs... you my friend, have way too much free time.
wait, who said anything about loosening the CAS to change plugs?

But if you guys really want to spend more time in the garage than you have to, then I guess that's why they call it a hobby.
if you cant spare 10 seconds, you need to manage your time better.

Last edited by entropy31; 10-19-2007 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Hoov for Pres!

Damn. If I didn't like wrenching on my own vehicles I would send it to a mechanic that I couldn't fully trust and call it good. But a whole minute to test and adjust spark plugs is the norm to me.
Only thing I don't adjust the spark plugs on is the diesel engines I work on at work...
Old 10-20-2007, 05:07 AM
Jack Of All Trades

.....And if you are loosening the bolts on your CAS when you replace your spark plugs... you my friend, have way too much free time.
If you still believe that you don't need to check and adjust your base ignition timing, you're a retard.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ratfink
Damn. If I didn't like wrenching on my own vehicles I would send it to a mechanic that I couldn't fully trust and call it good. But a whole minute to test and adjust spark plugs is the norm to me.
Only thing I don't adjust the spark plugs on is the diesel engines I work on at work...

Well I would certainly hope not.....
Old 11-07-2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by willkrom1990
major problems with my new (to me) N/A 1990 300zx. the oil pressure guage has been useless. i know this because it changes very quickly and stays on zero for sometimes very long amounts of time. been driving like this for almost 1500 miles. i'm about to change it. but today i started it to leave work and as i pulled out, it seemed to be missing. it continuted to miss very consistently all the way home. the engine has a rattle... maybe something thats been there though. in conclusion, power starved, wierd smells, running very rough, and sounding pretty... rough, but not smoking and still shows plenty of oil pressure when the guage is working. please help! does it sound like oil deperivation or actually a spark miss? and what do i do? i did get new plugs and pressure sending unit. they'll be in tomarow. and thanks to everyone that has helped me so far. this forum is awesome.
your oil preassure sending unit is shot. thats the gauges problem. as far as the rest of your problems.. have you checked the 6 P's?
Old 11-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Pr0n Addict

i did the sending unit and when i started the car the pressure read close to 100. the other prblems still remained. i have done new heads, injectors, lifters, some other things then all the obvious things associated with the job. i'll let you know if the problem is fixed when i get the beast back together.