300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

OIL INSIDE INTAKE MANIFOLD

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 11:02 PM

Re: OIL INSIDE INTAKE MANIFOLD

Check your intercoolers and inspect both from the turbo inlet side. If there is a considerable amount of oil build up then it is for sure 100% that your turbo oil seals are bad. I'm still new to Z32s but if the PCV hose connects directly to the intake tube just before the throttle bodies then your in deeper doodoo than you thought. I'd rather replace turbo seals than piston rings.

My 86 Celica GTS with a 2.0 3SGE (non-turbo version of Alltrac engine) started gathering oil in the intake and throttlebody as well but I had no turbo to spit oil into my manifold. The oil was coming from the excessive blowby exiting through my PCV which forced alot of the oil in the cylinder head to fly through the tube. The piston rings were so shot that when I disconnected the PCV tube connected to my T.B., gasses/air could actually be felt blowing from the little 5/16 hole.

It was so bad that if I squeezed the hose shut for a few seconds I could make a Blow off valve noise when I released. The condition progressively worsened and my rigged Gatorade oil catch had to be emptied after every full tank of gas.

I rigged the oil catch because the excess oil started building up in my intake manifold and began soaking through the gasket. The oil catch also prevented me from witnessing the horrifying blue smoke trail from my exhaust. It's pretty embarrassing being called the "crop duster" during your second lap in an autocross. In addition, oil soot caked my rear bumber and stained the paint.

I never bothered to check compression because the problem was too obvious. I knew my engine lost compression when I would only inch away from 99' Civic SI's. Back then I was in denial therefore I just tried to convince myself that the damm Vtec motor was built with cams, high comp. pistons, etc...

If I were you, check your compression just to be on the safe side even if your engine "feels like" it still pulls. Seat of the pants dynos are extremely deceiving!

If good luck favors you your rings will be fine. Either way, your gonna have to dump some cash into resolving the problem for preventive maintanence reasons. It'll be cheaper to empty your pockets on the turbo seals. Have fun troubleshooting!

donkayroo@hotmail.com