300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Multiple car problems please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:26 AM

Multiple car problems please help

I bought a 1990 n/a 300zx 5 spd. The problem is I seriously don't know anything about cars but couldn't help myself I really wanted this car. Is there any good sites to really help me learn?

But my main questions are..

I have smoke coming from my exhaust and the person I bought it from if i remember correctly said it only started happening when he messed around with the injectors (idk wtf that is >.< ) also my car is running out of gas way too fast. Do these too have any connection because no way a v6 engine will eat up $20 worth of gas driving in short distance.

I also have hard time starting it takes multiple tries could it be the starter? we changed the batteries

Also wondering why when my car is off and when i open up the radiator the coolant spills out a lot also when I try to add more though when the car is on i don't have that problem so weird.

Sorry I'm trying my best to learn please help me out thank you!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:45 AM

The "injectors" are the lines taking fuel and putting the correct amount of air and gasoline into the cylinders of your engine. You may have heard of a carburetor on older cars, same idea, except the primary difference between carburetors and fuel injection is that fuel injection atomizes the fuel by forcibly pumping it through a small nozzle under high pressure, while a carburetor relies on suction created by intake air accelerated through a Venturi tube to draw the fuel into the airstream. People mess with them sometimes and change their performance settings.

For the starting issue it could be your wires, possibly cap and rotor, or possibly spark plugs. As a new owner these are things that you should pretty much always change as a part of basic maintenance. I'd take a peak at the cap and rotor and see how the metal points look. Cheap parts, I'd just order new ones, as well as spark plugs and a set of wires for the spark plugs and distributer.

The radiator isn't full all of the time because the system uses it, and the overflow tank should take some as well, that's why it isn't full when it runs. If it is constantly low, you may have a leak. Personally when I buy cats, I always replace the radiator cap as well because it can lose it's seal fairly quickly. And do not open the radiator when it's hot or running. You will get sprayed and burned. Only do that when it's cold.

Welcome and good luck!
Old 12-08-2012, 03:27 PM

I found out that the compression are really low 60 and 100. They said I should buy a new engine but as much as possible want to avoid that what can I do??
Old 01-30-2013, 07:52 PM

Well, you can rebuild your current engine. That's about all you can do. I bought my Z the same way, and was in the current state you are in. Though, I had to replace the head gaskets. Personally, I suggest selling your car. These cars are incredibly hard to work on, and unless you are very experienced with automechanics, I don't suggest trying to delve into working on them.