300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Mod updates

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 06:35 PM

get the one that is made for the Z from autometer :spot: it looks awsome, and mine fit awsome
Old 11-04-2004, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by tt dan
get the one that is made for the Z from autometer :spot: it looks awsome, and mine fit awsome

Great minds think alike. That's what I'm getting if the doofus from treperformance ever gets back to me. The 3-gauge unit.

My EFI harness showed up today. It's purdy. A bit intimidating, but purdy nonetheless.

I should have my ECU, electric fan and DOOLZ tomorrow. My Stillen order will be here tomorrow or early next week. It'll have everything except the upper plenum. It'll be another week or so before the polish job is finished.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:01 PM

I don't know if this is a good or bad thing....I called courtesy parts today because I had to add a couple more EFI harness clips to my order from yesterday. When the person answered the phone I told him that I had ordered a bunch of stuff yesterday and needed to add a couple things to my order. He then repsonds with, "Were you the one with the order for like $800." I said, "Um, yes. why?" He went on tell me that I won a prize because I was the 1st person to ever place an order that took up 3 pages of invoices. There were over 50 individual items. He said they had a lot of 2 page orders in the past, but I was the 1st 3 page order. Well, isn't that special. :headspin: Guess that means that I'm the only one stupid enough to replace all this crap. :doh:
Old 11-04-2004, 11:05 PM

Earlier I mentioned those clogged EGR outlet tubes. I looked closer at them tonight and there was little, if any air getting through. Here's a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Mod updates-egr-outlet-tubes.jpg   Mod updates-egr-sensor.jpg   Mod updates-egr-tubes-2.jpg   Mod updates-egr-tubes.jpg   Mod updates-egr-tubes-3.jpg  

Old 11-05-2004, 05:53 AM
Jack Of All Trades

:ranton: yep, I'd say every high mileage car will look pretty much like that. That crap don't show up in your ecu codes. I always wonder how many people pay for a new engine, because some mechanic says they need one when a little maintainence in this area will work wonders. That same black stuff is what kills your cats too, putting a nice oily coating over everything

That wet look is probably a good sign of blow-by or leaky turbo seals. :doh: $$$$

Last edited by CanyonCarver; 11-05-2004 at 05:56 AM.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:09 AM

The metal does look wet, but it actually isn't. It's just shiny. I had no oil in my lower intercooler hoses, so I'm pretty sure my seals are ok. I'm sure they're leaking a bit because they have 150+k on them, but when we had the tranny and precats out we inspected the turbines and they looked good. There wasn't much oil in the plenums either.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:34 PM
Jack Of All Trades

HEY.......... where's Rizz? We should get some parts of these posts into a sticky on doing 60k mile service. ie: getting the clutch fan / pulley bolts off, removing / cleaning out the egr and so forth......... :chug:
Old 11-05-2004, 07:27 PM

^^Good idea. That way, I don't need to rename a pic if I want to post it again. I could just provide a link.

:ranton: :badpc:
Moving on......I kinda have to wonder about Z1 Motorsports. They sell some real nice stuff, but I gotta wonder how smart they really are......over 2 1/2 weeks ago I ordered the ASHSPEC ecu (EPROM set for 555 injectors and dual intake), DOOLZ and their electric fan. I called them on Monday to get a status update. The dude said he'd call back. Didn't happen. I called again on Wednesday and spoke to another person. He said the stuff went out Tuesday and I'll have it Friday. It showed up today. Here's the problem......the DOOLZ is supposed to come with 1 K&N cone filter. They expect you to have 1 already from the initial POP charger upgrade; which is acceptable. Well, there wasn't a filter in the box. Also, the ecu they sent me was programmed for 370 cc injectors and single intake. How????? They sent me the DOOLZ in this order. It was in the same box. What happened to common sense? I'm a little pissed and it leaves me questioning Z1. Can i really trust a company to program my ECU if they can't even get my order right? No, I don't want fries with that. This won't slow me down because we all know I have enough work to keep me busy through the New Year, but it's a matter of principle. It's principality. Of course I got home too late to call them tonight, so that'll have to wait until tomorrow. Idiots!!!
Old 11-05-2004, 08:46 PM
caught the z fever

go beat them up...show them whos boss.... :argue: ... but make sure they can get me some stuff first
Old 11-05-2004, 11:54 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
HEY.......... where's Rizz? We should get some parts of these posts into a sticky on doing 60k mile service. ie: getting the clutch fan / pulley bolts off, removing / cleaning out the egr and so forth......... :chug:

good idea except for one thing, this thread is too long and it's still going lol.

If you want to do an actual write up, 91zxtt, that's up to you. Just keep in mind that you'll probably have to rewrite most of this thread all over again. Not to mention provide those links to your real pretty pictures.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:58 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by rizzspeed
good idea except for one thing, this thread is too long and it's still going lol.
Cut and paste is GREAT for that. I guess we do have a search function.

91 .... :rofl: ..... I seem to remember someone saying that they won a prize from z1 for that 3 page order ....... :rofl: :roflmao: Surprise , GET'EM
Old 12-04-2004, 09:24 PM

I don't know how, but somehow I missed the last few posts on this thread.

I made a mistake regarding Z1.....the doolz does not come with another POP charger. You must buy it separate. I mis-read the info on the site. They have sent me the right ECU. It's sitting in the garage.

CC- it was Courtesy that told me I won a prize. The prize was nothing....literally. I was just the 1st one who has ever placed an order online that filled up 3 order pages. So the nimrod dhould've just tole me that. Or, maybe my prize is just being given the opportunity to deal with such splendid beings. (please see member name, then read on)

:ranton:

I have a bone to pick with Courtesy though. For any of you who haven't ordered them, it's real easy. You merely click on the picture of the item you need. Problem is.....one of the items I needed was linked to the wrong part. I ordered replacement intercooler hoses. These are the hoses that clamp directly to the inlets and outlets of the intercoolers, not the black piping in the engine compartment. 4 total. 2 on each side. Very pricey for what they are. When my order arrived, I received 3 of the correct hoses and 1 of the metal intercooler pipe assemblies. :doh: I called them back and told the guy exactly what I needed. I said, "I need the rubber hose that connects the intercooler to the intercooler pipe assembly on the driver's side. It's about 4 inches long. It clamps the outlet side of the intercooler and clamps to the intercooler pipe assembly. This hose is under the bumper. You can't access it from the engine compartment." Yes, I actually told him this. Guess what showed up today.......one of the black throttle body tubes. :badpc: Apparently my description of the item was not detailed enough. :blah: (What happened to the machine gun smilie?) I think someone may have an extra chromosome lying around somewhere. This guy needs a belly window implant. This would allow him to see where he is going when he has his head up his ***. I'll have to send it back on Monday, then cross my fingers that dick-shine can get it right.

As far as the EGR tube cleaning goes, it can't be done with the upper plenum on. I don't think a writeup is worth it since nobody is going to remove the plenum to check the tubes. They point to the rear of the plenum, so you can't see into the tubes through the TB's. If anyone wants separate writeups on what I did, let me know and I'll try to put it together as I put the car back together. I can take more pictures to illustarte it all.

I was able to get the EFI harneass completely in. This was my main concern. Requires two people. Engine can be in, but not the plenums or the heather core inlet and outlet hoses.

I basically did nothing on the car while zdriver was down. Call it lack of motivation. Or maybe it goes back to when I was child and my dad never watched when I'd repeatedly say, "Hey dad, watch this." Anyways, I'm just waiting on braided fuel line, the upper plenum, the gauges and 1 f'ing hose. I'll put the dash back together tomorrow, then go from there. Of course I will keep you posted.

Oh, the Stillen IC's showed up today. Awesome! I'll take some comparison picks of them along with the lower plenum and post them tomorrow.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:20 AM

Way to go 91... man i wanna fly down there( or up there) to check this beast out... sound awesome
Old 12-05-2004, 07:03 PM

I think I spend more time scratching my head out there now. Just trying to take everything in and envision what needs to go back in when is almost overwhelming.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:29 PM
caught the z fever

91...what your doing is like a dream to me
can you be my big brother so i can sit and watch you work for hours and ask you what a screwdriver does and play spin the wratchet...im really good at hammering things and i dont care if i get all dirty :hpydance: :bow:

Last edited by b300z; 12-05-2004 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:22 PM

My patience at this point seems to be equivalent to the attention span of a two year old. It would probably be safer for you to just watch through the window; otherwise, I may use that hammer. :badpc:
Old 12-06-2004, 10:47 AM
caught the z fever

ok...i guess
just make sure you have the bud out...uhhhhh

but seriously id love to help out in some way...if only there wasnt a 1500 mile difference
Old 12-06-2004, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the offer.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by b300z
im really good at hammering things and i dont care if i get all dirty :hpydance: :bow:
Here you go again B...being perverted and all...bowing and what not
Old 12-06-2004, 08:17 PM

That was a stretch. Even worse than the previous one. t:
Old 12-07-2004, 03:12 PM
caught the z fever

im just trying to offer my services......:roflmao:

z-then why are you always the one who points these things out???
your mind is always in the gutter
Old 12-27-2004, 12:10 PM

Well, I was in the process of installing the new IC's yesterday. I was sitting on my garage stool; which has wheels on it. I was reaching for my 12mm socket and the damn thing slipped out from under me. I guess there was something sharp under where my hand landed. I cut the sh*t out of my hand. I still don't know what I landed on. I couldn't find anything on the ground that had any of my hand still attached to it, but It'll be a little while before I can back out there. It's not the cut that hurts as much as the bruise. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to work in a couple weeks. :doh:
Old 12-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Fan

Damn sounds painfull. I smashed my finger installing my Hicas bar when my socket wrench slipped off a bolt head. If that makes you feel any better.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:55 PM

I've done that a lot. I did it when we were replacing the diff bushings.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:14 PM

Well, with any luck,....I'll be doing some work on the car this weekend. Dad and I will be fixing a broker water pipe in the yard and installing a garbage disposal in the house. After that,...it's out to the garage. I'd like to get the valve covers and balance tube painted. I'd also like to get the heater inlet and outlet tubes back in. I'd like to re-route the water bypass hoses as well and get the lower planum on. I'f I can get the lower plenum on, then I can put the timinf belt and all of that crap back on. May the force be with me.

Quick Reply: Mod updates