300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

A knock, I'm scared!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 10:15 PM

A knock, I'm scared!

Well in the past 2 days, i started getting a strange wobble on my front left driver's side tire. I just assumed a weight had fallen off the tire and become unbalanced. Now tonight, on my way home from work i heard a knock from the front right side of the car. But it's kind of sparatic, and now the car wobbles on the left sides around 40mph, and I get a random knock on the left side, that I'm hoping to god is a bad ball joint, and not dreaded rod knock . I don't want to think it's a rod knocking cause it only happens every once and awhile. Cause I've only heard rod knock on one, car and it didnt stop. It also isn't like it only happens when I hit bumpy roads or anything. But when I took a left from work, it started making the knocking noise. So if anyone has any idea, please please help me, I beg of you.

Last edited by OrangeZ32; 08-20-2004 at 10:16 PM. Reason: messed up
Old 08-21-2004, 07:12 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Rod knocks don't go away, usually until the rod is sticking out the side of your engine block. Do you hear the knocking sound only while driving, or can you hear it when parked and revving the motor?

Losing wheel weights can cause a shake, and if your shocks are bad you can hear a knock as the wheels/shocks bounce around. I've seen shocks/struts so badly worn that the hole that the shaft goes thru is an 1/8" bigger around than it should be, ie: bad knocking sound.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:41 AM

Check to see if your front shocks look wet. If so, then it's your shocks. My right rear shock did what you're describing and it was wet with oil from the shock (the seal had blown). It would only make the sound on certain bumos, not all of them. The vibration could be wheel weight. It could be tension rods, shocks, bushings, or just about anything. Aren't these cars fun.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:45 PM

Well, thank god for me I've found the problem, and its a really cheap one. Well some dick(pardon my french), stole 3 of my lugnuts off my tire. I was only looking under the car, and I didnt think too much of it. Well, I drove it thinking it was just the shock, well she told me I was wrong. Thankfully, I was about to pull into my driveway and the damn tire almost fell off. Got her into the driveway, pushed on the tire and heard the rim hit against the caliper. Than looked at my studs and saw they were broken off. Cause stupid me drove it. But at least it's a cheap fix, tomorrow I'm off to Autozone, to pick up some studs, and lugnuts. And thought while I'm at it might as well go buy some cross drilled rotors . Thanks for the input guys.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:37 AM

Never would've thought of that. Now I've seen everything. How desperate does someone need to be to steal lug nuts?
Old 08-24-2004, 11:59 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
How desperate does someone need to be to steal lug nuts?
I've stated this elsewhere before ......... It's probably not so much that someone was stealing lug nuts ...... it's more like some dumb tire guy uses his 240 lb/ft torque air gun to tighten the lugs and the goes back and checks with his torque wrench set at 90 lb/ft and says yuuuuupppp they're torqued.

It's kinda obvious with the broken studs, but then again you never know.