300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

I really need your guys help!!! Really bad.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 02:52 PM

I really need your guys help!!! Really bad.

Hi guys,

I really need your guys help!!! Really bad. This is my story I have a 1993 300zx N/A and well I had the crazy idea of having motor swap with a TT. Well I bought a motor form engine land. And then I took my car and the TT motor to a shop. The mechanic did a compression tested on the TT motor. And he said it was good so knowing that the compression test was pass I told the guy to go a head and do the swap. Well the guy did the swap it took about 6 months to get it all done. Then the guy calls me up and tells me it’s all done and ready to take home. So I went to pick it up and when I’m at the shop I see that they are test driving the car. Then actual mechanic ask his partner if every thing is ok. The other guy tell the mechanic that the turbo timer some times works so the mechanic tells me it’s not ready and to give them about 5min to fix that problem so I do they end up finding out it’s a lose ground cable. So they fix it then the mechanic tells me ok Jose it’s now ready. So I get in and start to go about 3miles done the road then I look at my speedometer and it saying 0mils per Hr. so I head back to the shop and tell him hey I can’t tell how fast I’m going, so they take the car back in the shop and he tells me that they forgot to plug in the speedometer. So they end up plugging in the speedometer and then. Once more they, tell me ok now it’s really ready to go. So I get in the freeway and start heading home and I’m about 25miles away from the shop I’m looking at my temperature and oil gages and every thing is saying ok. when all of a sudden the car turns off on me so I pull over to the side of the freeway and I see steam razing from the hood for the car I pop open the hood and see that the radiator cap is lose and water is very were. So then I tell my uncle to go to the nearest gas station and get some water so he brings me 2 gallons of water and I start to pore water in the radiator the water just starts to cool down the car and then water and this like black stuff starts to gush out, out of the radiator, so need less to say in the morning I have the car tow back to the shop and they tell me that the car motor does not have any compression anymore. So I tell them you guys are going to fix it right, they tell me its not their fault that there is no more compression and that I need to get a hold of the place were I got the motor and have them send me a new motor or have them fix it. That all they did was just install the motor, but they bought the radiator and other parts I need to do the swap. My question is who is liable for this?

More follow up
http://www.centralvalleyz.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=837
Old 09-27-2006, 02:57 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by luige_007
My question is who is liable for this?
You need to find out what happened before pointing fingers... Did the water pump go? Waterpump belt? Headgasket? Problem w/ the radiator? Hole in the rad hoses? Loose rad cap? No coolant?

Find out why it overheated... then you can go backwards. If it was a mistake from installation, obviously the mechanic needs to be talked to. If it's a blown headgasket, talk to the people who sold you the engine.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:38 PM
caught the z fever

did they put a TT or equivalent radiator in?

did they put in that orangeish coolant in the radiator? i guess its not meant to be used on the Z. people have blown hoses with it

what kind of fan is that?
Old 09-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Jack Of All Trades

I would say that you have a pretty good case in your favor if you have the compression test numbers in writing. Either from where you bought the motor, or where it was installed.

The orange crap is more like rust cuz they were too stupid to put coolant in just like they were too stupid to put the rad. cap on tight.

I would start with going back to them, and telling them that they knew the compression numbers were good before-hand. Then I'd say something like (in your opinion) you saw them hot rodding it around when you came to pick it up, and in your opinion, they caused the damage. If they don't react favorably to your viewpoint, just politely tell them that they'll be hearing from your lawyer. Take a witness with you when you talk to them face-to-face. This approach will at least get them to thinking.

Next step would be the BBB, channel 47, and a lawyer.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:48 PM
confuzed member

I agree, that looks like rust. It could also be that for the 6 months that they had it they didn't have it stored correctly, it got rust in the cooling passages or they bought a cheap rusted radiator. Either way, they obviously didn't flush out the radiator which should be a given service. I hope it works out...that really sucks.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:51 AM

Forgot to ground the turbo timer, forgot to hook up your speedometer cable, forgot to tighten your radiator cap, possibly forgot to flush the radiator.....

Jesus Christ son, who the hell are you letting work on your Z???

As for liability they are responsible for any and all damage they may cause to your car. They bought the radiator, they are responsible for making sure that everything is good to go before they install it. IF you had bought it and asked them to throw it in and you didn't inspect it thats a whole differant ballgame.

Though reading the rest of this post I'll personally be reserving jusgement until after someone re-reads thier service agreement.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:51 AM
Bad Speller

I agree seems like that shop does not know wtf they where doing.... and they took 6 months on a TT swap? ***** son U give me all the parts I can have it done in 2 weeks. Properly. or if I point out all the stuff to you. and U give it to me with a car. I can put it otggether for you. I am located in Moreno Valley (soCal) I say its the shops fault. cause first of all shops aren;t even allowed to "test drive" their customers cars arround. so that is one reason for the lawyer, now the fact that they wont take responsibility in their work is another because I mean if they forgot to ground stuff and flush coolant for all you know. they didn;t changethe oil, had too much oil/ too little oil. didn;t prime to motor properly, didn;t clean out the system. don;t have any oil pressure, cheap spark plugs, 87 octane, alot of stuff could have gopne wrong that is on them. Timing could have been messed up. ettc...
Old 10-02-2006, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by bardabe
***** son U give me all the parts I can have it done in 2 weeks.
How's your swap comin' Bardabe? ...It's been a very long 2 weeks. That's Pedro time, right?
Old 10-02-2006, 11:49 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
How's your swap comin' Bardabe? ...It's been a very long 2 weeks. That's Pedro time, right?
buuuuuuurrrrnnnn.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:39 AM
confuzed member

Straight up CALLED OUT!
Old 10-05-2006, 09:58 AM
Bad Speller

yeah I remeber the guy that had my front clip sorta ionos FLAKED OUT ON ME! ..... anyways back on topic I;ve done 2 swaps so far one was my friend on his 95, and one was for a local man 90. my swap however will come later. Im researchign and planning big things for it. After im through with highschool and budget is not so much of a thing for me. then my friend I will be calling you out however you did burn me pretty bad....
Old 10-05-2006, 10:34 AM
No Club Love

he's been talking about that since tenth grade, thats two years ago, my friend. And did you want the lsd i got or na.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:19 PM

Ha ha....just havin' fun. My project's goin' on 2 years now so I don't have any room to talk....oh wait, I never said I could do a swap in 2 weeks so I guess I do have a little room. Ha!
Old 10-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Über User

a budget is gone when you leave college? i wish i lived in your world bardabe, cuase college is suckin the money out of me, highschool was FREE.....for me anyways, parents is a whole nother story. plus i worked way more in HS than in college. unless you dont plan on goin to school anymore....
Old 10-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Bad Speller

I'm gong to tech school. After that Im just going to Work For Nissan as a mechanic. I will stay with my paretns for the time being I mean shti I dun got a GF or anything tying me down. that and the fact that my dad loves Z's as well he said after my Build (in 3 years or so =p ) He'll take the all mighty 240Z out of storage so I can do an all out and powerfull RB26 Swap on it. now that wont be on my dunds so weeee. TTZ32 and TT240Z that looks good in a garage right?