300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

HELP! Injector woes and the rain is coming....

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 04:01 PM

HELP! Injector woes and the rain is coming....

My check engine light came back and now the car feels like it's running on 5 cylinders. I looked up the injector test procedure and took my multimeter out to the car.

I took the first injector plug off, hoping NOT to read 10-15ohms so there would be a solution to my problem. Three pins on the injector, [ o o o ] the first two pins registered ZERO ohms on the multimeter. Pins one and three nothing, pins two and three nothing. I thought I had my problem pegged until out of curiosity I checked the rest of the injectors. SAME THING . Every injector registered exactly the same. What am I doing wrong? I thought that they were supposed to read 10-15 ohms. Lastly, the plugs are BOSCH platinum. I read somewhere that the stock NGKs are better. True?

Any help would be appreciated. No car + rain tomorrow = dammit.

[Followup from "First post.... love the site, ECU problems.... where I got 32 34 and 51 when I checked diags on the ECU]

RuZ
Old 03-17-2005, 04:19 PM
confuzed member

It is better to use NGKs!!!! haha, big discussion we had going on here a while ago.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:36 PM
Jack Of All Trades

So you know 32 is egr malfunction, 34 is detonation sensor and 51 is injector circuit. The consensus will probably be to start by cleaning at least the related electrical connections and check the cables for exposed wires. With all of the rain we've had here in socal, there's a good possibility that it's just corrosion.

check and clean then reset the ecu and see what happens.

Are you around burbank? I saw a silver Z at burbank blvd and the 5 today.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:10 PM

Yeah, I work in Burbank and take the 5 to/from work everyday. Small world....

I think I am testing the wrong thing. I was unplugging the harness for the coil packs, which was three wires, and testing them for resistance, getting -0-. I keep reading about two pins... agh! I ordered six new coil packs tonight, was this a waste???

Looks like I'll be roughing it on my F4i for this rash of SoCal flooding. Heheh. Better Rain-X my SHOEI.

P.S. I thought I'd be slick and stop by the address on the bottom of the Spealty-Z website... hahah yeah, it's some dude's house in Woodland Hills. I kept driving.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:20 PM

I was going to tell you that you were testing the wrong thing, but it sounds like you figured that out. Yes, you're likely wasting you're $ by ordering 6 coil packs, but it's always good to have a few extra coil packs, just in case. The coil packs are not all that problematic. I've only heard of a few that have gone bad. Check your ECU for fault codes. Do a power balance test. This is, with the car running, disconnect each coil pack individually. If you unplug one and the car rund worse, then move on to the next. Once you find the one that does not make your car run worse, then you have narrowed down your search to that one cylinder. As CC mentioned, clean the injector connectors and re-run your test. The coil pack connectors should not register anything without the ignition on. The coil packs should read 12 ohms, I bleieve, between the left two tabs. Try that.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:10 PM

If we all end up at the same place at the same time... I'm gonna buy y'all a pizza. Happy St. Patrick's Day and thanks for the info.

Cheers!

RuZ [faded]
Old 03-18-2005, 03:08 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11522

ngk vs other plugs.
sticky thread top of 300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical section.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:09 AM

OK, I tested the RIGHT thing this morning. Turns out the #1 and #2 injectors are completely green with corrosion. Even after cleaning them, injector #1 and #2 are shot I think. Resistance was infinite on the meter. I can wiggle #6 and it makes the motor miss. I think it's time for some new connectors -at least- Hopefully I don't need more stuff. I budgeted for a little work on a 180k motor

RuZ
(Currently a 2.0L 4-cyl Z in SoCal)
Old 03-18-2005, 08:37 PM

Well in a few weeks I will be pulling my stock injectors and replacing them with 555cc ones cuase of a bad injector, you can get a stock rebuilt injector kit for 200 from Z1. Just so you know, I've been on four to five cylinder since originally posting about an injector leak as rogue93TT before christmas. Besides a loss of power and some low end vibrations you should be able to drive on those rainy days. Good Luck
Old 03-18-2005, 08:39 PM

For anyone in the Denver Metro area that wants a Conzult Diag just give me a PM. I'm still figuring out the test's but anyone who wants to plug in to help or read trouble codes is more than welcom to stop bye.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by RuZZeLL
My check engine light came back and now the car feels like it's running on 5 cylinders. I looked up the injector test procedure and took my multimeter out to the car.

I took the first injector plug off, hoping NOT to read 10-15ohms so there would be a solution to my problem. Three pins on the injector, [ o o o ] the first two pins registered ZERO ohms on the multimeter. Pins one and three nothing, pins two and three nothing. I thought I had my problem pegged until out of curiosity I checked the rest of the injectors. SAME THING . Every injector registered exactly the same. What am I doing wrong? I thought that they were supposed to read 10-15 ohms. Lastly, the plugs are BOSCH platinum. I read somewhere that the stock NGKs are better. True?

Any help would be appreciated. No car + rain tomorrow = dammit.

[Followup from "First post.... love the site, ECU problems.... where I got 32 34 and 51 when I checked diags on the ECU]

RuZ

Are you testing injectors or coilpacks? Sound slike you are trying to test the coil packs to me. Injectors are a seperate harness with only 2 pins. Coils rarely go bad, it's usually the injector. And yes, dumb the Bosch plugs, they will not work as good as the OEM NGKs and you will not boost as well either.