300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Help! Huge Tranny Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Old Polish Lady Lover

Location: Cheektowaga, NY...land of nothing but a mall and 10,000 old Polish ladies
Help! Huge Tranny Problem!

Ok, i'll try to make this long story as short as possible, and not leave out any important details...

Car drove great, felt fine...all of a sudden, feels a little tough to get into gear...higher gears especially...

get home, call a friend, he says not to drive it, same thing happened to him, replaced slave cylinder before i completely went, and was OK...

i replaced slave cylinder, bled lines, made sure no leaks anywhere, reservoir stayed full, good to go...but now, clutch pedal keep sticking to the floor.

I realized that the fork/lever sticking out of the tranny, that relieves the pressure of the pressureplate, isn't pushing back at all, not compressing the slave cylinder's piston, thus causing the pedal to stay down...

Called Coz, he thinks it's the pivot ball causing the fork/lever to not push back...cheap part, pain to get to, but no big deal, it's do-able...

I tried though, just for the hell of it, compressing the slave cylidner's piston by hand, but the clutch pedal stayed down! isn't it supposed to go back up once the piston is pushed back in the slave? i know this means it's a hydraulic leak/problem somewhere, but i'm not losing any fluid, and all around the slave and master, i see no fluid leaking anywhere...

Any suggestions as to why the lever isn't pushing back, or should i feel relatively safe in the assumption that it's the pivot ball? the clutch has less than 20K miles on it, it's the RPS TT Street disc clutch, stock tt with basic bolt ons, never launched, near beat on...etc...

clutch never showed any signs of slipping, getting weak ,etc...i highly doubt my clutch is fried...it was perfect 2 days ago...and clutches take longer than 2 days to become completely shot when you drive like the granny i drive like...

Also, what the hell can be causing the pedal to insist on sticking to the floor? i understand it will not come up on it's own without the lever sticking out of the tranny pushing back at it...but even when i compress the piston by hand, the pedal should still come up...

how do i go from a simple slave cylinder replacement, to having all this **** happen? the car drove FINE, even when i was pulling it in my driveway to work on it and replace the slave cylinder...and somehow, between turning the car off, jacking it up in the air, and getting under it...that fork/lever lost all pressure....essentially, the car/tranny broke something, WHEN IT WASN'T EVEN RUNNING!!!

Thus is the life of a 300ZX owner....
Old 06-26-2007, 10:50 PM
The Good Twin

Sounds like the classic sign of air in the line. Did you try to re-bleed it after the pedal got stuck to the floor? I haven't worked on a Z32 clutch system, but I know on the S13 240sx there is a balance box in the line between the master cylinder & slave cylinder. You can bleed both sides all day, but if you don't bleed that center box, you won't ever get good results.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:54 PM
Old Polish Lady Lover

Location: Cheektowaga, NY...land of nothing but a mall and 10,000 old Polish ladies
i did all my bleeding via the bleeder nut on the slave cylinder itself...

i dont know of anywhere else along the fluid lines i can bleed the system...

and i made sure to bleed it A LOT!

The last 3 or 4 times i bled it, only a steady stream of fluid came out when i cracked open the bleeder nut on the slave
Old 06-26-2007, 11:04 PM
The Good Twin

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/3/10...34#msg-1075334

There are two [2] bleeder valves; one located under the car on the slave master cylinder on the bottom of the transmission; and one located on the passenger wheel well [or right by the HICAS resoviour on a Twin Turbo model].
Old 06-26-2007, 11:13 PM
Old Polish Lady Lover

where exactly is that bleeder located?

and i'm assuming the location is the same on all 5 speed Z's...i have an NA with a tt swap...so there is no HICAS hardware...so my bleeder up there wouldn't be by any HICAS pump...but i know the location, by the power steering reservoir, right?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:54 PM
Über User

its that, or your master cylinder is dead, many times teh master ***** on you, the pedal drops to the floor and stays there.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:40 AM

bleeder

The one you are looking for is. sitting on top of the passenger side front wheel well, It looks like it goes into your power steering reservoir but its actually your "top" bleeder for your clutch. Yes, it sounds like you have air in your system.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Sounds like the classic sign of air in the line. Did you try to re-bleed it after the pedal got stuck to the floor? I haven't worked on a Z32 clutch system, but I know on the S13 240sx there is a balance box in the line between the master cylinder & slave cylinder. You can bleed both sides all day, but if you don't bleed that center box, you won't ever get good results.
Ditto. The last time I bled a hydraulic clutch I had to use a Mity-Vac to get all the air out so that pedal would release.