300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Frustrating PS Belt Squeal HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 12:20 PM

Frustrating PS Belt Squeal HELP!!

Hey everybody thanks for looking at my post. Well im stumped, i have a 94 300zx NA. Brand new PS pump, belt, pulley. When I first installed these components the vehicle was quiet. But after a few days on cold start I get the horrid belt squeal. Sounds like its coming right at pump. I have tried tightening belt, loosening belt, new belt, super clean my pulleys, checking pulley bolt for tightness, adjusted the slider. On top of the cold start squeal it will go away after about 2 minutes. However this is where it gets odd. If I roll my windows down belt starts chirping, if I turn up stereo system with subwoofers it starts squealing. So anything power related causes a chirp or squeal, if I drive it will start squealing randomly. I tried taking off PS belt as since it happened with power components in use in car I thought it was alternator belt. But it does not squeal when the PS belt is off. I am stumped do I need a new pump? Pulley? Water Pump pulley? Any help would be great fellas thanks.
Old 03-10-2023, 08:02 PM

It is your alternator that is squealing. Putting a large draw on the electrical system forces the alternator to have to create more power and that causes more drag on the belt.
Old 04-09-2023, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by FlyingT
It is your alternator that is squealing. Putting a large draw on the electrical system forces the alternator to have to create more power and that causes more drag on the belt.
Hey FlyingT thanks for the reply honestly I did not think it was alternator since I ran car without Ps belt and no squeal. But it would make sense seeing as how the belt will squeal when a power load is happening and it’s so hard to tell since the alternator is right below the Ps pump. But I think my next move is put a high output alternator on and new belt and see how that goes. I’m starting to be convinced it’s the alternator and or alternator belt. Thanks again for the reply, when I make the swap I’ll report back.