300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Belt Screech When Cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 03:38 AM

Belt Screech When Cold

Ok, here I am again. I've searched a bit and found a thread started by bardabe on the 120,000 Mile service and I was wondering if you guys would share some insight/diagnosis on our latest issue.

Given that buying this car was the first time I've ever bought a car (I didn't pay for it, just made the decision) I probably didn't ask all the questions I needed to. As we drove off I kept thinking of questions I should have asked. I'm pretty sure this happens (sometimes) to even the most seasoned used car buyer. I didn't drive the car cold, he brought it to us at a gas station and we handled everything from there.

But, down to the meat of the issue:
The previous owner said that he had all the belts replaced. I asked him if the timing belt had been done, cause I had heard it was an issue on these (maybe most?) cars. He didn't know, so I knew we would have to the the 120,000 soon anyway.

Shelby reports that the car makes a screeching noise under the hood when she starts it and drives it. Usually (her trips are short), on the return trip the car makes no noise. Both Shelby, and the other people that have heard it say it sounds like a belt. I will report on it tomorrow when I get home from Bellingham, but I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction or give me a couple things to check.
I was reading in Bardabe's thread that the 120,000 mile includes new pulleys, I've heard that a pulley with hairline cracks and so on can cause a belt to screech. Same thing happens on the celica every now and again.

As always; I appreciate all the help.

Thanks from both of us,
Ezra and Shelby
Old 01-25-2007, 05:58 AM
Jack Of All Trades

The timing belt and pullies are seperate from the accessory drive belts and pullies. The timing belt generally will not squeal or screech. It'll just go snap, and you have a dead motor. The squealing belts are your accessory drive belts. They can either be loose, or they may have some oil on them from (either) leaking main / cam seals or a leaking power steering hose, or both. The 120k maintenance kit will get you new cam and main seals and accessory drive belts, among other things. While the motor is apart it's a good time to take notice of any other fluid leaks. ie: inspect the power steering pump and hoses. Once everything is reassembled, and the accessory belts are properly tightened onto clean pullies, the screeching noise should be gone.

I usually prefer to install my new belts towards the loose side. Leaving the possibility that I may have to go back and tighten them again. This being because on older cars with older components, too many times, I tighten the new belts to the proper tension and it ends up killing the old component that it drives. ie: a perfectly functioning, but high mileage water pump, p/s pump, alternator, a/c pump dies when the added load of a properly tensioned belt is placed on the old bearings.

Here's a link to a 120k T-Belt Kit for your reference.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:07 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

if you are new to the z, i dont reccomend you tackle the 120k without an experienced z guy around.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by entropy31
if you are new to the z, i dont reccomend you tackle the 120k without an experienced z guy around.
Well I'd like to say there's other z's in this town, but there aren't. Except for one of the wealthiest guys in town who has a gorgeous twinturbo. And a ferrari and such. So it looks like we're probably gonna be going in it alone. But anything we should keep an eye out for during the 120 check would be helpful.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by ShelbyMae
Well I'd like to say there's other z's in this town, but there aren't. Except for one of the wealthiest guys in town who has a gorgeous twinturbo. And a ferrari and such. So it looks like we're probably gonna be going in it alone. But anything we should keep an eye out for during the 120 check would be helpful.
I'm thinking this may the one time I advise taking it to the Nissan dealership. At least that was my plan. I was just wondering if doing the 120,000 mile would/should fix our problem. I've read about the 120,000 mile and it would take tools I def don't have at the moment.

I've got a longish weekend so I may take the rotors off and see if I can have them turned at the local machine shop, hopefully they're within spec, otherwise its off to NAPA.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Über User

120k yur removing sooo much ****, and that upper plenum looks easy to take off. but it really isnt. getting access to all the heads and cams pulling the radiator. its a PIA an half if you did it. i could see the car being down for a week or so. and you need to know the Z to do this. after working on all the other crap that goes wrong on this Z for a year and if you have good motor experience like done motor swaps on easy cars or have done extesive work maybe you could do a 120k by yourself. but its a hassle and even I would probably take it to a professional and have it done... while i doubt i would use a dealer since i have ultimateZ not to far, thats probably your best option being in washington. the dealers rip you off on price and who knows how well they actually know the Z32. how many miles are on the car right now?
Old 01-25-2007, 10:09 AM
confuzed member

Actually, the there have been instances of a squeeking timing belt. The timing belt tensioners on these cars often will take a while to calibrate when cold, thus a squeeking belt. It's most likely your accessory belts, but there's a chance it's your timing belt at all. This is more of an annoying thing and really isn't an issue. If it annoys you a bunch, plan on an early 120K mile service and make sure to get the tensioner replaced.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Ruff Ryder

i just cut all of my accesorie belts except the alt. belt, that way i dont have to worry about crap like this..
Old 01-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Über User

hoov... what about your power steering belt? cause its a power steering rack and cutting that belt isnt the hottest idea.
and what about your fan? the only belt i could see worth cutting is you ac... but you might as well drop that and save the weight to....

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 01-25-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Wide Body Magazine Guy

Originally Posted by emo236
Actually, the there have been instances of a squeeking timing belt. The timing belt tensioners on these cars often will take a while to calibrate when cold, thus a squeeking belt. It's most likely your accessory belts, but there's a chance it's your timing belt at all. This is more of an annoying thing and really isn't an issue. If it annoys you a bunch, plan on an early 120K mile service and make sure to get the tensioner replaced.

Agree. Heard a few timing belts squell but it's more of a signature screetch coming from an idler pulley or something. Most likely an accessory belt.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:34 AM
Jack Of All Trades

LOL..... anything is possible as far as a screech. I've personally heard the same belt screeching sound as a motor seizes up from spun main bearings. You'll also hear a screeching sound as certain clutches in race cars are engaged. And yes, as bearings are approaching seizure mode in t-belt pullies and tensioners, water pumps, alternators, p/s pumps, and a/c compressors for sure, you'll get a similar sounds.

But..... without standing in front of the car that has the problem, we should assume that the first thing to check is the tension and cleanliness of the accessory drive belts.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:15 AM

Thanks guys, I know it was a really up in the air question
Old 01-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
hay--try soaping the alt belt with bar soap-doesnt take much----your alt belt if properly tight and see if that stops the squeal--if not it is a different belt. timing belts i was told by my z guru need to be changed every 60k miles--you are due.........i was told by my z guru that 121k miles is pushing it-----do not go to the stealership----please find on line a proper z repair shop------god luck, i hope your z lasts longer than mine have.............
Old 01-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Über User

they also have belt dressing spray that can stop squeeking.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
they also have belt dressing spray that can stop squeeking.
BandAids........
Old 01-26-2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
BandAids........
yeah I plan to get i repaired properly. I'll try and find a decent z mechanic here but I live on the northeast tip of the olympic penninsula (the sticky out part of washington state) and there is nothing here.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Ruff Ryder

the alt. belt goes from the crank, to the water pump, to the alternator. and the fan spins off the water pump.

(BTW i have the power sterring belt on now, but when it breaks its staying off)