300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Timing belt change

Old 11-26-2010, 09:57 PM

Timing belt change

hey guys, had a few questions on doing a timing belt (new to this) and was hoping for some advice.. Im getting a kit from z1 motorspots {oem 60k kit}
im assuming i should also get both upper and lower pulleys, and the full oem belt set..

What i was wondering is that sense im getting a AMS Light weight underdrive crank pulley should i get the overdrive water pump?

In addition the the pull down box is states under AMS Accessory Pulleys (complete set), what im asking is what exactly is the complete set of AMS accessory pulleys? does it include ac/pws...etc.. but in AMS standards?

thankyou in advace for the help...
Old 11-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Tough Guy

You shouldnt attempt a timing belt at all if youre "new to this." If you mess it up your motors toast.

The AMS set should be the power steering, water pump, alternator and crank (underdrive pulley). Change them when youre doing the timing belt or have someone do it for you.

Really wouldnt attempt this sort of job if youre new to it though.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:48 AM
Ruff Ryder

Get the overdrive water pump pulley if you use an underdrive crank pulley. I would actually just get the unorthodox pulley set over AMS IMHO.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

+1 on not buying AMS garbage.

And also +1 on not doing this yourself if you're not well-versed in Z32 mechanical repairs.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:42 AM

hey appreciate the feedback thank you, also don't worry im not doing it mainly just standing along side learning. but i do have to order parts i looked at unorthodox pulleys.. unfortunately i dont have the money and the the set z1 motorsports seems to be the best route for me right now i wish i could take ur advice i just need a water pump and everything else so i can get back on the road. Thank You everyone
Old 11-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Tough Guy

Do the pulleys separate.

You can do them one by one when you can afford to do them. Theyre pretty easy. Id probably do the crank pulley when the timing belt is done but the others are easy enough with mild experience.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
i looked at unorthodox pulleys.. unfortunately i dont have the money and the the set z1 motorsports seems to be the best route for me right now i wish i could take ur advice
lol

We have a saying... it goes "buy cheap, buy twice." How much money do you think you'll be saving when you have to replace your cheaply purchased stuff that starts to cause problems with the stuff you should've bought in the first place?

Assuming your cheap parts don't cause issues with other components (a misaligned water pump pulley, as AMS has been show to be, will cause wear on the bearings of your water pump), you'll spend $X on the cheaper part, and then $Y on the better part later on.

Since both X and Y > 0,
X + Y > Y

Thus, buying the better part in the first place actually ends up costing less.

In actuality, let the other parts that wear out because of the cheaper (shitty) part cost $Z. Surely X + Y + Z > Y, when you buy the shitty part, its replacement, and then fix the things that break because you didn't take our advice.

Enjoy your car. If you can't afford to mod it properly, you're not going to get to drive it much. And when you do, it won't be as enjoyable.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:45 PM

ha alright thanks for the advice i was just going to keep it stock i wasn't going to get the ams crank without the water pump.... everything else aside , you all should be pleased i fell into money and im getting the ur crank and water pump.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:07 AM
DuG

Hey Guys !

I'm near to install the AMS underdrive set, you made me afraid... is there a way ton control the stuff before installing (to avoid misalignement) or should I really reconsider the question?
Old 08-10-2011, 07:28 AM

I would get the ASP underdrive pulley and the HI wp pulley (the one yugo bernie sells). Kyle at IPP can get you both.