300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Engine swap suggestions

Old 05-16-2013, 11:38 PM

Engine swap suggestions

Okay guys I have a 1990 300zx. The stock motor isn't completely gone but I don't think I want to go through the hastle of rebuilding it. So instead i'm thinking about swapping in a v8..I know the vh45 is a pretty popular swap for these cars but I wanted to know what other options are out there? How reliable are the vh45 motors and what kind of power can they handle? I originally wanted a ls swap but they are a little bit out of budget right now..So throw out your opinions!
Old 05-17-2013, 06:31 AM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Originally Posted by asr408
but I wanted to know what other options are out there?
Endless options. It all depends on your skill level and budget.

How reliable are the vh45 motors and what kind of power can they handle?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VH_engine
It only puts out 278hp / 292ft/lbs torque. It's built like a mother-trucker because it's for the SUV... so it COULD handle more hp (which costs $$$). But 278hp flywheel is A LOT of work, for little increase of power.

they are a little bit out of budget right now..
So... what is your budget?

So throw out your opinions!
VG30DETT
2JZ
RB26
Supercharged LS7

I could name every high-hp engine known to man... kinda hard to tell you what motor to swap into YOUR car... especially without knowing your budget or skill level.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Welcome to ZDriver!

Thanks bud!

Endless options. It all depends on your skill level and budget.

Nissan VH engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It only puts out 278hp / 292ft/lbs torque. It's built like a mother-trucker because it's for the SUV... so it COULD handle more hp (which costs $$$). But 278hp flywheel is A LOT of work, for little increase of power.

Do you know how much hp/tq they will hold before they need to be forged? It will end up being rebuilt anyway, but just trying to plan things out!

So... what is your budget?

I have about 2k to spend on a motor but the cheaper the better. The actual swapping/fabricating will be taken care of, i just need to figure out what motor will be the best for me.

VG30DETT
2JZ
RB26
Supercharged LS7

I could name every high-hp engine known to man... kinda hard to tell you what motor to swap into YOUR car... especially without knowing your budget or skill level.
Haha i'm trying to stay away from the turbo motors but its still an option..Every turbo motor i had (redtop sr20, turbo ka24, and now this vg30) just didn't seem to want to stay running. Like i said, my first choice is an ls motor. But they are pretty expensive for a full swap..Anyways, thanks for the reply!
Old 05-17-2013, 12:48 PM
The Good Twin

Do you know how much hp/tq they will hold before they need to be forged? It will end up being rebuilt anyway, but just trying to plan things out!
No clue on "how much it will hold". That's relative to "what it is holding up to".

Haha i'm trying to stay away from the turbo motors but its still an option..Every turbo motor i had (redtop sr20, turbo ka24, and now this vg30) just didn't seem to want to stay running. Like i said, my first choice is an ls motor. But they are pretty expensive for a full swap..Anyways, thanks for the reply!
Turbocharged motors have [require] tighter tolerances than n/a motors because they have to endure more pressure & stress. Since you are apparently going to rebuild any motor you choose, why not just start with a strong turbocharged base?

Dollar for dollar, there is rarely a cheaper way to make hp than by turbocharging. I suggest doing research... real research. There are plenty of websites and books / ebooks in pdf that go into great detail about making reliable power.

The ideal motor swap is the VG30DETT (actually, the "real ideal" is to just start with a Z32TT)... because it's already designed for the Z32. Stuffing in any other engine will also require modifications like steering, suspension, motor mounts, transmission mounts, a/c, wiring, etc. If you're up to that and have the time and $$$, get on it!
Old 06-11-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
No clue on "how much it will hold". That's relative to "what it is holding up to".

Turbocharged motors have [require] tighter tolerances than n/a motors because they have to endure more pressure & stress. Since you are apparently going to rebuild any motor you choose, why not just start with a strong turbocharged base?

Dollar for dollar, there is rarely a cheaper way to make hp than by turbocharging. I suggest doing research... real research. There are plenty of websites and books / ebooks in pdf that go into great detail about making reliable power.

The ideal motor swap is the VG30DETT (actually, the "real ideal" is to just start with a Z32TT)... because it's already designed for the Z32. Stuffing in any other engine will also require modifications like steering, suspension, motor mounts, transmission mounts, a/c, wiring, etc. If you're up to that and have the time and $$$, get on it!
Sorry, i should have said it already has the TT vg30. I was just thinking of other routes to go than rebuilding it. But i've been looking and i think my best bet is a small block chevy. I am picking up a lm7 today! Thanks for the help bud!