300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Engine Problems (Starting & Missing)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 12:22 AM

Re: Engine Problems (Starting & Missing)

86,000 miles and your baby doesn't want to run...I hate when shnap like that happens.

In my opinion your engine still has life because you never stated that your plugs where caked with carbonized oil soot. As for the low compression issue, how was it done?

What type of compression tester did you use (screw in or push in)? If you screwed it then your testing should be fairly accurate if and only if you cranked the engine over enough times.

Each manufacturer bases compression testing on the amount of revolutions the engine is cranked or how fast the engine is turning over. Did you crank the motor the recommended amount of revolutions? Usually compression testing is to be done with a warm engine but it's obviously impossible to warm up an engine that doesn't run. Compression will be low if the tester was not completely snugged into the spark plug orifice. One way to determine if your rings are totally shot is to perform the leak down test. All you'd have to do is pour about a spoon full of engine oil down the spark plug hole screw the tester in and crank the engine let's say four times. If the compression increases in comparison to "no lube" poured into the hole (@four cranks) then you have ring problems otherwise the rings are fine. A healthy engine produces about 130-150 psi.

Have you checked the ECU for any trouble codes? This should be one of the very first procedures completed before getting your hands dirty. There are two ways to set the ECU into diagnostic mode.

#1 Remove the passenger side floorboard and turn the diagnostic potentiometer on the ECU clockwise then back, or counterclockwise then back. My memory is terrible but I know that it's one of the two.

#2 Use a jumper wire (20 gauge stripped at both ends or thin gauge paper clip) to join the #8 and #9 pins on the grey connector by the drivers side kick panel. Facing the connector #8 and #9 are on the left bottom half of the 18 pin connector.

It's great that you checked for spark but at the same time did you smell for fuel? Since your plugs do arch look for codes related to the fuel system such as the fuel pump or injectors. Double check all fuses related to the fuel system including relays. Test the fuel pump and make sure that it still operates and still pressurizes fuel to the injectors.

An engine with no spark usually pollutes the engine bay with gasoline fumes. Stl300z is on the right track. You stated that "WD40 was sprayed into the cylinder to help temporarily seal them" and upon the attempted start-up it sounded as if your VG was going to start but didn't. The reason your VG30DE did not completely start is because it ran out of fuel (WD40). I used to play with WD40 when I was a kid and boy was it flammable. I'm sure I'm not the only kid who has made a flame thrower out of their dad's chemicals.

Do you have access to a regulated bottle of propane? This will be your temporary fuel. Tapping into the PCV intlets on the intake hose would be the best place to feed the propane into the engine since it's right by the throttle bodies. You may want to fabricate some sort of "T" fitting so each bank of cylinders receives the "fuel". Have an assistant either crank the engine or turn on the attached regulated propane bottle while the engine is being cranked. This allows the motor to suck in the flamable gas. Be sure to close the regulator valve shut before the engine is stopped. Remember, this is a dangerous procedure if done carelessly. Any spark can ignite residual propane so USE EXTREME CAUTION! KEEP A FIRE EXTINGUISHER NEAR BY.

You may want to avoid using a propelled flammable liquid. Some chemicals will destroy O2 sensors, gaskets, seals, ect... Your engine should start or at the least stumble once the flammable agent enters the combustion chamber. The cause lies between the injectors and fuel pump. Since Z32's have documented injector problems your troubleshooting direction should aim towards the injectors. Just remember, fuel pumps die too.

As for the oil pressure issue, Stl300z is correct. Most Z32 owners I have spoken with have the same symptoms. If your oil pump really did take a [censored] your VG30DE would have seized or threw a rod by now or maybe it's lasting because your running "Prolong". Mail me with any further questions.

Good luck troubleshooting.

Deric