300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Died and now no start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 06:30 AM

Died and now no start!!!

Ok so I was on the way home last night and on the interstate the car would start acting like I let off the gas. I would pump the accelerator pedal and it would do nothing. After about five seconds of coasting like this it would start working again and go. Did this multiple times on the interstate.

Then I got to my exit and got off. It was doing this so bad I couldn't get above 30 mph. I noticed I could just barely touch the accelerator and it would stay at about 25-30 mph.

Got lucky and didn't get stopped by any red lights, but came to a hill in town and had to give some gas and it cut out like I wasn't even giving it gas again. Pulled over and it was idling real rough jumping between 200-1000 rpm. I gave it a little gas while sitting there and the RPMs dropped so I immediately let off. It then would not idle over 200-300 rpm. It eventually died. I got it to start back up a couple times, but as soon as I gave it any throttle it would die. Left it sitting all night.

Came back out this morning and all it will do is crank, but will not start.

I have tested the battery and it's charged to 12.4V and cranking the car very strong. I replaced the PTU last year with a S2. ECU was replaced 1.5 years ago.

Things I did last night and this morning:
Swapped MAF & TPS
Swapped Ignition Coil and EGI relays with each other
Swapped Fuel Pump fuse next to battery

Can hear fuel pump priming when I crank the motor.

Need to get this car moving quick as I do not have money to tow it and it's sitting on the side of the road in town.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:27 PM

Check your fuel pressure. Make sure you're getting spark!
Old 12-15-2013, 04:26 PM

Well me and a buddy of mine pulled it with his truck to my church. Don't have to worry about it being towed off now. Going to try and find a timing light tomorrow and come out with my multimeter and test light tomorrow and see what I can find out.

I know this doesn't mean anything, but I have new injectors, fuel filter and fuel pump. I'm going to check the electrical system first tomorrow. Just because of the way it acted before it died makes me think it's electronic.

Whenever it would cut out while I was on the interstate none of the dash lights came on. No lights came on until it completely died.

Will be checking for codes as well. Not hopeful on this because I've had problems before that should have thrown codes and it never did. I have a chipped Z1 ECU.

My guess right now is either PTU (even though it's only 1 year old and S2), CAS (never been replaced), or a bad ground.

I'll give an update in the morning as to what I find or don't find.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:17 PM

Ok so here is what I found out today. I have no spark going to any spark plug/coil pack. So I cleaned the connectors to the PTU and it fired right up, but as soon as I gave it gas it died. Started it back up and it started acting like it did after it died the other night.

So I straight wired the sub-harness and tried it again and still won't start.

Next I decided to test the PTU according to the FSM. I did a continuity test on all points according to the FSM. My results were as follows:

Have power and ground to fuel injectors

Have power and ground to coil packs, but no signal.

Have ground going to PTU

All tests that should have continuity on the PTU would come up with an ohm reading between 10-15 then immediately go to an open circuit.

I believe I'm going to replace the PTU since it will not hold continuity.

My theory is the PTU is fried since it only holds continuity for a half a second then goes to open circuit.

Let you know when I get the part in.

Last edited by KSpakes87; 12-16-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:10 PM

Ok so I finally got my PTU. Installed and no luck. Pulled a spark plug and put it back into coil and grounded. I have spark. I learned I could take a test light and touch the ground wire of a fuel injector and ground it to the plenum and make the injector open (with the key on). Done this multiple times then the car fired right up. Idled up to 2k RPMs and after warm up idled down to 800. I thought I done something right. Let's get this thing home before something else happens. Pressed the throttle and it dies. Back to no start. Grounded the same injector a few times and it started right back up. Give throttle and dies.

So I can make the car start by "priming" a cylinder with fuel. The fuel pump and injectors were replaced last year and the fuel filter 2.5 years ago. I've only put about 6k miles on it since filter replacement.

I don't have a fuel pressure tester to run any tests at the moment. Wish I did. I have a very strong feeling it's either the fuel pressure regulator or dampener as they are the factory originals. Anyone concur?