300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

RHD TT Fuel Pump Not Priming!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 05:52 AM

RHD TT Fuel Pump Not Priming!

Alright, so I tried to wait until the bitter end of my capabilities to post, but I need everyone's help.

I have a 1989 (equivalent of a 1990) RHD 2+2 Twin Turbo. When it arrived it would not run, and obviously had a bad battery (actually checked it, and it was bad). Replaced the battery, and then it cranked but with no ignition.

So I started with checking fuel, and realized the fuel pump is never kicking on (had someone stand with their head right above the pump to listen). I checked the power all the way to the pump (checking the relay, fuse, and the control unit behind the left seat panel), and power was getting to the pump. So, I concluded the pump itself had gone bad.

I then bought a Warlboro TT pump, removed the pump from the car, swapped the pump out, and tried again. Still no prime. I obviously realize the original pump may have been fine, but it was old anyway (the car has 48,000 miles, and everything is pretty much stock).

So, where do I go now? If it's a bad ground, where should I start? Is there anything I could have done wrong?

(I also tried to check the sticky and researched a lot before posting this, so I apologize in advance if this has been a problem before.)
Old 09-24-2015, 01:03 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Originally Posted by EliHellstrom
I checked the power all the way to the pump (checking the relay, fuse, and the control unit behind the left seat panel), and power was getting to the pump. So, I concluded the pump itself had gone bad.
How many volts were at the pump? Have you tried a temp wire direct from the battery to pump? There's either no power / incomplete circuit, or dead pump. If you've verified that both pumps actually do work, then you have an incomplete circuit. Work backwards from there.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Welcome to ZDriver!

How many volts were at the pump? Have you tried a temp wire direct from the battery to pump? There's either no power / incomplete circuit, or dead pump. If you've verified that both pumps actually do work, then you have an incomplete circuit. Work backwards from there.
I didn't check how many volts (which I realize was a mistake, but I've been waiting for this car for 2 months so I was a little excited). I'm going to check the volts today.

I'm pretty confident the new pump works, so I'm assuming it's an incomplete circuit. I tried to bypass the FPCU, but there was still nothing. I'm also going to try do that again today. What do you mean by a direct wire from the battery to the pump? Sorry if that's a dumb question.