300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Possibly buying a 93 TT.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:49 AM

Possibly buying a 93 TT.

Looking at a TT later today and very excited and scared.

First off Im new here and would like to buy a z32. Im 27 and can turn a wrench. I currently own a little E30 318is BMW that I boosted my self running 8.5lbs as a DD.

I found a 93 TT for 2,500. I have reason to believe its been abused by the aftermarket parts thrown at it. Carbon hood, short shifter, stage 3 clutch, hks exhaust, turbo timer and a ugly looking little piece between the headlights.

I ask if it ever been in a accident and or repaired in any way, he said no. I asked if all the hood and door jams line up, He said yes but he did remove the after market fenders to put back on the origionals.

This didnt help. I got more scared. But then the photo showed up in email and doesnt look all that bad. They are good size pics and I have hope yet that it could be a diamond in the rough... or not.

I read more into the email and find out it has 190,000 miles and lambo doors. WTF. well lambo does have are headlights on one of there cars right?

Im still going to check it out but its already for the bad. I meeting him somewhere which means no cold start up tests.

I am bringing a level headed friend with me to keep me down to earth when looking at the car. I kinda have a thing for TT's. I will also be bringing laptop to check carfax on the spot.

Hope all goes well for either way.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:24 AM
The Good Twin

w00t! Welcome to ZDriver and to potentially owning a Z32!

Sounds like you know the rundown... good luck today! And what year E30??? I'm a Bimmer nut as well as a Z nut. Do you hang out at DTMpower?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:59 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by Awgy
Lambo doors.

Hope all goes well.
No such thing in that case xD

I'd sell the lambo doors, unless you like getting laughed at in public... which would be a sick... sick thing.

Check thoroughly, everything. Especially if you suspect aftermarket parts.

I was excited when I went to go look at my Z, hope your fear turns to excitement like mine did.

Last edited by WanganDevilZ; 01-11-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:40 PM

I'm jealous! Most all the Z32s in Ga are priced out the ***. I think its because Z1 Motorsports isn't too far away from here.

But I'd love to have one....but I don't I'll be letting go of my 260 yet.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Pr0n Addict

the way i see it is that if it's that cheap and has that many miles, and the p.o. obviously was not the smartest, then you shouldn't even really bother inspecting it. you just need to decide if you want to get that car and spend a ton of money fixing it as it breaks (which it will do regularly), or if you want to save that money and get a car that's still stock with lower miles. it's a no brainer that if you really inspect it, you're going to find a ton of stuff that's wrong with it. but is it still worth $2500 after you find them? yeah it is.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:05 PM

WOW! WHAT PIECE OF ****

So I was told to meet this guy at the a gas station near him around 5pm. I get there early (1 hour) to view the car pull up.

As I'm waiting I see a ment TT pearl pull up and said "no f'n way, but that would be cool" Anyways he did arrive and saw that the car has HIDs. As it parked I noticed smoke from under the car. Owner said he over spilled the hydraulic cluth and brake fluid (trust me, this guy was no mechanic). I checked and it was a mess in that area.

Fenders and CF hood was not aligned at all. Not even close. The nasty lambo door's didnt even work (bad struts). A little dent on the rear 1/4 panel. Had fake a$$ CF interior trim all over that was coming off.

But the engine did run strong. Yes even at this point I was still considering buying this car. The paint is still good. Seats in good shape. And then the test drive...

I rolled into the street carefully and gave a little throttle. RPMs shot up and I stayed in the middle of the street with city traffic approaching. The guy said let off the clutch (i thought to my self "this is not my first rodeo") and responded "I have, I think the clutch is bad." He continued on about how the clutch is new and guarantees it.

After a few blocks of triing to get the clutch to engage, I gave up and let him drive. This guy took the car back to the gas station at 4k to 6k RPMS and said "see drives fine." I just simply said. "I can't drive this at all. It needs new clutch bad."

Back at the gas station the car was just in golfed with clutch smoke. I just simply said "thank you but I cant take this car. I live an hour away and this just wont make it home."

But no worries, found a black TT for 3500 in much better shape and 50k less miles. I check it out in a few days.