300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Can you add VCT to a 1996 TT

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:02 PM

Can you add VCT to a 1996 TT

I bought a 1996 TT back in November and it does not have VCT (most call it VTC)... can I add this to mine? If so, what needs to be done? Would you suggest doing this, I don't want to be -20hp compared to the 90-95's. I understand that OBD2 is a standardised system for engine codes/diagnostics

I understand that I need to add VTC cam gears, VTC actuators... I think I also would need to change my ECU to a pre 1996.

1996: OBDII requires Nissan drop the variable cam timing, causing the 300ZX to unofficially lose 20 hp.

Last edited by Valdis; 02-21-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

get a wolf computer and raise the boost pressure and the fuel map do you much more than what you are thinking.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by rogerz
get a wolf computer and raise the boost pressure and the fuel map do you much more than what you are thinking.
I have a JW ECU chip and the boost is actually turned down to 8psi (according to the person I bought it from)... I'm guessing he did this to lessen the stress on the turbos and engine internals.

My car has a JW ECU, JW Pop Charger, Dupree split downpipes, NO test pipes, Turbo Tuff catback exhaust, upgraded clutch and flywheel, underdrive pulley, Skyline breaks/calipers, crossdrilled rotors and a fully adjustable KYB suspension.

The reason I mention the VTC is because of this comment.... I found it on this forum. Though it doesn't seem like this is a true statement. I want to make sure though. Do I need the VTC to go above and beyond 400whp in my 1996 TT?

Wish I would have held out for a pre-'96. I didn't realize it is almost impossible to get more than 400 whp with the ''96's without adding vtc and cams from a pre-96 car.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Valdis
I have a JW ECU chip and the boost is actually turned down to 8psi (according to the person I bought it from)... I'm guessing he did this to lessen the stress on the turbos and engine internals.

My car has a JW ECU, JW Pop Charger, Dupree split downpipes, NO test pipes, Turbo Tuff catback exhaust, upgraded clutch and flywheel, underdrive pulley, Skyline breaks/calipers, crossdrilled rotors and a fully adjustable KYB suspension.

The reason I mention the VTC is because of this comment.... I found it on this forum. Though it doesn't seem like this is a true statement. I want to make sure though. Do I need the VTC to go above and beyond 400whp in my 1996 TT?
Statement is True!! There is a post on specialtyZ's website that talks about the limits of the '96 obdII cars. Running more than 14 or so psi made NO increase in power because the air could not get through the heads efficiently with the smaller cams and NO VTC. This was on a car with upgraded Intercoolers, Turbos, Testpipes, downpipes, ecu, etc, etc,.
Call Specialty Z and verify for yourself.
I'm glad I still have my '90TT as well after finding this out.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by brandon19761
Statement is True!! There is a post on specialtyZ's website that talks about the limits of the '96 obdII cars. Running more than 14 or so psi made NO increase in power because the air could not get through the heads efficiently with the smaller cams and NO VTC. This was on a car with upgraded Intercoolers, Turbos, Testpipes, downpipes, ecu, etc, etc,.
Call Specialty Z and verify for yourself.
I'm glad I still have my '90TT as well after finding this out.
Crap... I'm gonna have to see what I can figure out.
What will I need in order to get past this? Cams, actuators and ECU?

It does make sense... it's all about air flow and if that restricts it enough, you can't get past that.

Last edited by Valdis; 02-22-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:07 PM

Crap... I'm gonna have to see what I can figure out.
What will I need in order to get past this? Cams, actuators and ECU?

It does make sense... it's all about air flow and if that restricts it enough, you can't get past that.
I'm thinking you will need cams at least. I don't think you really need to change to vtc unless you wanna keep all the low-end power. Hot cams alone would give you more top end then stock pre '96 cams+vtc regardless. The only problem is that I think most the hot cams are ground for the vtc equipped cars anyways. I'm thinking there has to still be some good cams for the '96+ cars though since the z32 was offered in Japan for quite a while after they cut us off.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:18 PM

I'm thinking you will need cams at least. I don't think you really need to change to vtc unless you wanna keep all the low-end power. Hot cams alone would give you more top end then stock pre '96 cams+vtc regardless. The only problem is that I think most the hot cams are ground for the vtc equipped cars anyways. I'm thinking there has to still be some good cams for the '96+ cars though since the z32 was offered in Japan for quite a while after they cut us off.
I called Greg Dupree and you are correct.
He suggested JW 500 cams, 3 inch pipes all around and he mentioned some other things. Total cost around $1700 for the parts he suggested, there may be more but we'll figure that out when I want to upgrade.

But YES you are Correct. Good catch.. Thanks

Right now his main suggestion is to get better tires then I currently have... because the ones I have are crap and tires would make the biggest difference for me right now.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:35 PM

Now the only problem is all the labor involved with swapping cams lol....

On an upper note '96 cars have electric Hicas instead of the problematic hydraulic which should save enough weight to make up for the extra air bag. Seat belts no longer in doors, no egr to have to delete. Being the last and most limited production year makes them pretty unique.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:13 PM

Now the only problem is all the labor involved with swapping cams lol....

On an upper note '96 cars have electric Hicas instead of the problematic hydraulic which should save enough weight to make up for the extra air bag. Seat belts no longer in doors, no egr to have to delete. Being the last and most limited production year makes them pretty unique.
Yeah, and that's why I went with a 1996... because they are rare. My 300zx was 1 of 18 sold in the USA, Platinum Silver, leather interior, manual transmission and it only has 67K miles in it.

Called my local tuning shop and they told me that buy adding the JW 500 cams and springs I would be basically bypassing the VTC, so that's good.

Last edited by Valdis; 02-22-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:38 PM

Yeah, and that's why I went with a 1996... because they are rare. My 300zx was 1 of 18 sold in the USA, Platinum Silver, leather interior, manual transmission and it only has 67K miles in it.

Called my local tuning shop and they told me that buy adding the JW 500 cams and springs I would be basically bypassing the VTC, so that's good.
Oh. That's good to know. Specialty Z is supposed to be coming out with an adapter harness so we can plug the pre obdII ecu into our cars to run testpipes without having to trick the obdII ecu.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:28 AM

any updates

Hey guys any updates on this? I too have the beloved 96 tt and lacking the vtc drives me nuts I plan on spending around 4 grand on upgrades very soon and this issue is on the top of my list this and upgraded turbos and back to broke lol any help is appreciated
Old 04-11-2015, 10:52 AM

i have a 96 aswell and was thinking about just installing mild cams to make up for it.