300ZX (Z32) Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.

URGENT: I need help with WATER

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 04:01 PM

URGENT: I need help with WATER

OK guys I ve got a SERIOUS problem that has just developed.
Today Georgia experienced some hellish rains and my car was forced to sit out in it while I was in school. When I was getting in I smelled the foul smell of wet carpet. I immediatly looked around for the source of the smell discovering that I now had a pool of about 1-1.5'' of standing water in my floor board behind the passenger side seat. The door was closed properly and the windows were rolled up all the way eliminating error on my part. When i got home I immediatly began pulling the interior out to clean up the mess and find the source of the leak. Initially I expected the right side quater window or the passenger side window. But i didnt find any dampness in the paneling below or around the windows..there were no steams no signs of where water had been. I have a slick top..so that rules out leaky t-tops. As i went further, I found that water was all the way up to my ECU. Water had apparently traveled through the chassis and setteled in the rear.

My question for u guys is this..are there any other openings towards the firewall that may be allowing water to seep in? Have any of you had this experience as well?

Please help..I need to figure where it is leaking from.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:35 PM
Jack Of All Trades

I don't know on the z for sure, but most chassis' that I've seen have holes in the floorpan and firewall from the factory. They put rubber plugs in these holes too, but over time they rot out and crack and fall out. Same with where your harnesses go thru the firewall. Also, door rubber starts to rot allowing water in. In my '62 ranchero, that lived alot of it's life on dirt roads or something, the insides of the doors were so caked with dirt that water couldn't drain out the drain holes, so water would fill up in the doors and leak inside.