300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

vg30 to vg30dett?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:32 PM

vg30 to vg30dett?

well i've been debating on an engine, a vg33,
a vg30dett,
or the rb20...
i finally decided on the vg30dett.
what i wanted to know is what needs to be modified to my 85na to get that beast inside there
thanks!!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:19 PM

If you have to ask, you're aren't capable of performing the swap. Just get the VG33 and be done with it.

This has been asked hundreds of times on all the various Z31 boards.

It always ends up the same way. NO ONE does it. NONE! I've never seen a US Z31 converted to a VG30DETT.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:22 AM

Is this because of money issues or because nobody wants to attempt it after getting shot down. Im not doing the swap by myself.
So I will ask again az-zbum what needs to be modified on my car to get it to work.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by drdirtybird69
Is this because of money issues or because nobody wants to attempt it after getting shot down. Im not doing the swap by myself.
So I will ask again az-zbum what needs to be modified on my car to get it to work.
Almost everything you can think of will be a issue. ECU, wiring, transmission, engine mounts, transmission mounts, drive shaft, cooling lines, exhaust system. The list goes on and on. The problem is there's not a kit for doing this you have to test fit each part in the engine bay as you go. Heck even the gauges on the dash might not work right if the sending units are not the same.

Most do the stock Z31 NA to Turbo like we just did because although it takes time you can get all the parts that will fit together and just swap parts. No worries if it will fit.

So if you do it just report back and do a write up so everyone who considers doing it will benefit.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:48 AM

Vg33ett>vg30dett just might be chapter lol and more torque! If you want to go twin turbo that is. I say vg33et imo.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:09 AM

Never say never man.

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/one-step-closer-finally-32803/
Old 06-11-2011, 05:16 PM
The Good Twin

Ah yeah... I read this thread earlier today thinking, uh, yes... someone HAS done it, but I couldn't remember who.

Originally Posted by HexaggramJDM
Old 06-11-2011, 08:03 PM

It's because of everything. But for the most part, it's money. If you're not doing it, expect to spend at least $5000 to pay someone. But if you had $5,000 sitting around, you'd be better off just buying a Z32 TT.

You will need EVERYTHING.
motor
transmission
ECU
wiring harness (customized TT harness)
driveshaft (custom)
exhaust (custom)
transmission mount (custom)
etc.

I'm sure HexaggramJDM can give you all the specifics.

Yeah. I'm surprised he didn't see that thread since it was updated at about the same time. Curious if you're documenting this and will be doing a write-up for all the people who ask this question? You're a lot farther along than anyone I've ever seen post. Way to go.

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Ah yeah... I read this thread earlier today thinking, uh, yes... someone HAS done it, but I couldn't remember who.
When it's done and running, it will be the first US VG30DETT swapped Z31 I've ever seen pictures of on any message board. Until then, I stand by my original statement.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by AZ-ZBum

You will need EVERYTHING.
motor
transmission
ECU
wiring harness (customized TT harness)
driveshaft (custom)
exhaust (custom)
transmission mount (custom)
etc.

When it's done and running, it will be the first US VG30DETT swapped Z31 I've ever seen pictures of on any message board. Until then, I stand by my original statement.
I agree with his statement, Ive spent $2200 for the motor/tranny/ecu/wiring combo, $560 for my driveshaft, exhaust $$ is still in the air and about $2600
on custom intercooler piping, MAFS, custom intercooler, mishimoto radiator, and aaanything else you want to throw in there, from brake upgrades (Z32 4 piston) cuz only an idiot drops a beast motor and doesnt upgrade safety lol, guages to monitor the motor and see what needs to be tuned, oil catch tank, oil cooler, custom oil cooler lines, Custom lines in general, fluids, and just alot of stuff like that. Even so, Im STILL not done buying parts, i still need minor things, and extra 1500 to buy them. but other than that, my wiring is all finished, wasnt that hard.

so like ZBum said, Untill its done, i have no right to say ive done it. yet lol....
Old 06-12-2011, 09:01 PM

thanks man that really helped me out with my decision, i almost gave into the vg33. with that price estimate i think i can do it, i have been doing research on the parts for a while now and i believe ill have enough.
all my friends say just give it up, buy another car car but this car is my baby... i'm sure many of you guys feel the same way.
they just don't understand what a project car is.

i get the money in a couple weeks, as soon as i get the engine and trans, ill post pics to keep you guys updated on my progress
Old 06-12-2011, 10:33 PM

cool! and yea man, This Z is my baby, and nobody understands it but me...but just to inform you a little more, I got the parts Waaay waaay discounted because of people i know and shops i hang around with and what not. expect to spend alot more than i did. Quality parts run you in the 500 - 5000k , cheapy ebay or W/e parts 1 - 800...make sure you shop around and really look into the cheapest route to get quality parts.. ebay and cheapie parts simply WILL NOT and CANNOT! do!

if you do insist on making this swap understand that you will spend countless months measuring, fitting, adjusting, cutting, bending, thinking, troubleshooting, collecting parts and the most important: Willpower and Heart.

you will need to customize the oil pan to fit on the Z. Im going a long time without A/C since i dont have the slightest idea on how to convert the Z31 A/C Lines to the Z32 AC.. and that its placeed on the bottom of the VG30DETT unlike the VG30E that its on the top and the fittings are different. If your not fluent in the fundementals of electrical/electronics, you will need to pay an electrician to hook stuff up for you. from guage cluster to headlights, tailights, turnsignals etc. the DETT motor uses Boost sensors which you will not have, you will need custom fuel lines. i can go on lol.

I am in NO WAY trying to bring you down on your passion on swapping to a DETT man.. you got the money, hell, Do it! but really think thoroughly about it. Im an Automotive Tech for Nissan. I have an advantage over me with these motors. If i wanted to id swap a VQ35HR or 37VHR. but thats insane ammount of work which i have no time for lol.

Just do what you can, If you dont think you will have the heart or stomach for it, take AZ-ZBum's idea and swap a VG33E or VG33ER if you can find one. but of course nothing compares to the VG30DETT..nissan's best V motor =)

Last edited by HexaggramJDM; 06-12-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:13 AM

Haha I live down here in new Mexico... Next to the Carlsbad caverns I'm some have heard of it... Anyways it's hot as f down here... And I don't have ac in my car.... That's what my t tops are for haha
I work at oriellys I can get quality parts. And I luckily it is a small town and I know basically everybody. I knw somebody that can do the exhaust and also somebody that can do the drive shaft for me.
My uncle is a well known mechanic and can help me with the wiring. And whatever I need help with. I want to try to do this myself for the most part and will only ask him if I hit a wall.. I'm sure I will...
I pondered on this decision for a couple months. And have been saving up.
If I have the money, time, and resources.. Why take the the simple route... When I could do it big and have a bad *** car.
I know it will take months maybe even a year or so on...
But my car is worth it.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:56 AM

LOL at O'Reilly's and quality parts in the same sentence. But hey man. Go for it if you're not concerned about how much time and money it's going to cost you. Hope you live in a place that will let your car be sitting for a long time. You've been warned.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:06 PM

I work at oriellys I can get quality parts..
um...well i was talking more along the lines of HKS, Mishimoto, Stillen, EBC, eibach,Tein, K&N, exedy, clutchmasters, Apex, GReddy, AEM etc. but ok, that can work out.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Ruff Ryder

um...well i was talking more along the lines of HKS, Mishimoto, Stillen, EBC, eibach,Tein, K&N, exedy, clutchmasters, Apex, GReddy, AEM etc. but ok, that can work out.
Until he has to buy something other then spark plugs, oil and vacuum lines.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:49 PM

lol well u can get more than just simple stuff over there surprisingly..
Old 06-13-2011, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by hoov100
Until he has to buy something other then spark plugs, oil and vacuum lines.
Well, Yes...this is true, I bought Royal purple in bulk online for my motor, tranny and Diff carrier, vacuum lines are polyurethane bought at Pepboys, nothing special, Poly is poly in any brand name.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:54 PM

Well, Yes...this is true, I bought Royal purple in bulk online for my motor, tranny and Diff carrier, vacuum lines are polyurethane bought at Pepboys, nothing special, Poly is poly in any brand name.
Not really. There are many different quality and durability levels of poly. Quality parts won't have air bubbles. You'd be surprised how many knockoff brands don't take the time or expense to vacuum form their poly parts.