300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Boost controler

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 09:27 PM

Boost controler

Hey guys sorry if im getting annoying but i am buying a manual boost controler and I was wondering where in the heck to put it cuz I have no idea. I know I can't run more than 11 psi on a stock motor but that is ok with me its more power to wheels as i see it. I also like the fact that I don't need to run the rull 7.5 the whole time I can cut it down and save gas! I got the boost gauge working and set to go.

Lets turn up the boost now!
Old 07-02-2006, 09:38 PM
The Good Twin

Google works wonders!

http://www.well.com/~mosk/boost.htm

EDIT... Not to dig up the past, but weren't you the one that said you knew about turbos? https://www.zdriver.com/forums/showt...583#post121583

Last edited by NismoPick; 07-02-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:52 PM

Yea I do know turbos on other cars but I have never worked on a turbo 300zx before being as this is my first. I have been very busy working 2 full time jobs so its been awhile since i actully got to work on a car!
Old 07-05-2006, 01:10 AM

Have you done anything with you're POV?
If you don't, raising the boost isn't going to do much good. As it will be spitting out of your intake.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:34 PM

please explain!
Old 07-08-2006, 09:50 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by machsound
please explain!
Your POV (emergency release valve) on the intake is set to about 8psi stock. If the boost goes above that, it opens to prevent damage & releases the higher pressure into the atmosphere. it must be modified or removed to go higher than stock.

Do you have a Haynes/Chilton manual?
Old 07-08-2006, 10:22 PM

I know what it does I just don't know how to set it! I do have an old haynes. Does it have all of that stuff in there how to set it and what not or is it just in there how to remove it. I would really like to keep it incase something goes wrong when running a higher boost, once i get the intercooler on it. My bros tsi never had one we just pulled off a vac line and it would run like 19 psi (bad for engine) but fast as ****.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Über User

I know what it does I just don't know how to set it! I do have an old haynes. Does it have all of that stuff in there how to set it and what not or is it just in there how to remove it. I would really like to keep it incase something goes wrong when running a higher boost, once i get the intercooler on it. My bros tsi never had one we just pulled off a vac line and it would run like 19 psi (bad for engine) but fast as ****.
meh not really, my buddy has an all stock internals engine, everything else is chagned turbo fule ECU cams etc., and he ran 26 PSI at the track and is running 20 daily and no problems. his friend did the same thing for years until piston rings are finally starting to give in, those tsi 4g64 motors were originally built to be desiel so they are strong. even though that isnt the dispute here i just felt i should add it.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
meh not really, my buddy has an all stock internals engine, everything else is chagned turbo fule ECU cams etc.
On a stock engine it is a bad thing because your two injectors cant handle it. Yea they are like 1200cc but its not enough! That throttle body injection was the only thing that held those cars back.

If you changed all of that in the vg30 then you could run 20 psi also the only thing keeping us from running over a bar is fuel (and of course and intercooler) but anyway does anyone know how to set a pov thats the question?
Old 07-09-2006, 08:08 AM

Alright I figured out how to change the pressure and ummmm well the pop-off is just going to go. I've got a boost gauge in there so it really won't matter if I start to spike i will notice it. Im also getting a air/fuel gauge so its going help also. Now i just have to locate the damn thing!
Old 07-09-2006, 08:36 AM

Alright I figured out how to change the pressure and ummmm well the pop-off is just going to go. I've got a boost gauge in there so it really won't matter if I start to spike i will notice it. Im also getting a air/fuel gauge so its going help also. Now i just have to locate the damn thing!

Lotek (gaugepods.com) has a three gauge piller pod available for our cars. That way you can put a decent vac/boost, A/F ratio, and what ever else gauge you want to run.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:44 AM

Why would I do that and my car look like a honda I am just replacing the factory gauges in the two spots to the side (accelameter and compass) the compass is already gone and i just need to get the a/f gauge. I Don't need all that ricey crap!
Old 07-09-2006, 11:05 AM
The Good Twin

Why would I do that and my car look like a honda I am just replacing the factory gauges in the two spots to the side (accelameter and compass) the compass is already gone and i just need to get the a/f gauge. I Don't need all that ricey crap!
LoL... so TT Corvettes, Mustangs, Vipers, and diesel trucks that have pillar gauges look like rice? Um no.... Big *** tachs & huge shift lights in a daily driver looks like rice.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:08 PM

ummmmm yes in my oppinon they look like crap and if you own a car like that you should have a little bit more money to make a custom dash to fit them in where they are easyer to see anyway. Just my opion! I don't like them.

Like i said i pulled out the useless gauges in the two spots there and put the boost gauge in already and am waiting for the a/f gauge to get here to put it in.

Im not trying to fight with anyone on here its pointless if you like go ahead and do it. I just think it looks like crap and very cheap looking. There arn't any other gauge's that i would need so the third gauge pod would be for what a clock! I don't think so.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:23 PM

Boost controller installation: goes on the vacum line from the wastegate accuator.

POV. ON the intake manifold Plenuim. Just take it off. Get a plug from a NA model and install it. Your going to want to get a BOV of somesort to save your stock turbo a bit. I know stock 300zx's came w/ a recirculating valve but you can bypass that and run a straight bov. The recirculating valve is okay for stock but does not release quick enough for over boosted situations...

as for the lack of an intercooler.. have you thought of water injection?

Gauge Pods. Whats so rice about them? Rice are the people who get the carbon fiber gauge pods put a boost gauge in it for their NA cars and all the gauges light up blue. If you need to see whats going on with your engine then whats the big deal.. What type of A/F meter are you going to be running.. i sure hope you plan on going w/ a WideBand of some sort esp if your going to be boosting up.. Plus you may want to have a little bit more accurate gauges such as a aftermarket oil pressure gauge, water temp, and oil temp gauge oh there is there gauges right there.. thats a full pod... so if you think those are useless..how much do you want for your car after you blow a head gasket?

Last edited by mikeyman; 07-09-2006 at 08:25 PM.